Highlighted
Witcholdbat
Level 2: Rookie

NBN

Answered

Hi ... not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum ....

I need to connect to the NBN asap before I'm disconnected from my existing Telstra services.....  Bigpond Cable and home phone line.  (NBN is already connected to box attached to my house ... FTTP)

Yesterday I visited a Telstra Shop - twice ... talking to two different customer service people with conflicting advice!!!

I currently have great speeds on my Telstra Cable & have learnt NBN will deliver lower download speeds than I currently enjoy!!  Pathetic!!!
Yes I know I can pay extra and go to a  "Very Fast plan"  etc ...  but I'm on a pension and can't afford it.

First customer service person said I have to pay $40 more than my current plan because its the lowest Plan Telstra offers = $90 per month.  Gasp!!!
Second person I saw said I can stay on the same plan as I'm currently on - even though its a very old plan.

What gives ?????   Can someone please tell me which advice is correct.

Also .....  I was advised the technician installing the NBN will only install the connection outlet close to where the box is at the front of my house!!!
Um .....  My home phone plug connection is in another room and my Cable plug outlet is in yet another room for the modem (in study next to desktop computer.
I'm mortified I will have to have cables and cords running throughout the house (not an option as I will trip on them, not to mention aesthetics!   And ....  No - I cant afford to get someone to put cords under house or in ceiling. 

As I am being FORCED to join NBN surely everything should be set up as is without adding more stress?????

Thanking you kindly .....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN

@Witcholdbat If you are entitled to Priority Supprt you might get a little bit more out of them but you will need to make official contact, fill in a form and hope your eligible...

but its not guaranteed and they need to know this before installtion/ change over starts (ie you need to be on record)

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Witcholdbat yeh it does suck a hell of a lot but for a long time now Telstra (and now the new lines owner NBN) are only required to set up one point of connection to your house. 

any extra connection points you had/have  are considered to be your own responsibility unfortunetly unless you know a family memberfriend  or someone in the electrical trades (with licensing) who can help you out, your kind of stuffed.

If you cant afford the modifications to the internal house lines and dont have someone who could help you out, you will have to look at getting a cordless phone set-up to avoid the extra cords around the house.

sorry I cant help with the plans problem though .... that seems to be a bit of a hit and miss affair for everyone.

Witcholdbat

Thank you so much for your advice @cretsiah ....  guess I am stuffed!!

The fact they are making us join but not setting up our homes - as is ... has me gobsmacked. 

Plus im fuming nbn will be slower than my Cable speeds & cost me heaps more!!   (I cant afford the super fast plan)

appreciate your help. 

Cheers. 

Accepted Solution

@Witcholdbat If you are entitled to Priority Supprt you might get a little bit more out of them but you will need to make official contact, fill in a form and hope your eligible...

but its not guaranteed and they need to know this before installtion/ change over starts (ie you need to be on record)

Witcholdbat

Thanks again for all the info. 

Ive been with Telstra for 38 years .....  it might be time to change ....  ???

cheers. 

LEP1
Level 1: Cadet

I have frequent dropouts when watching movies, once 8 times so I gave up. often very slow especially at night and weekends. I have NBN and am about 500 metres from the nearest node.

Why are some people getting a box with a connection to their house and others not.

Theolaw

Get used to the idea!  It will be slower, even if you pay more, and nobody in Telstra is interested in listening: they will simply attempt to "sell up", so that it costs you more money, without any guarantee of the service meeting your expectations.  You have been sold a pup.  Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

Support Team
Support Team

Your connection speeds can be affected by a range of factors, such as your line quality and distance to the exchange or hub and network traffic to the sites or services you use online. There's further information about NBN speeds at http://tel.st/nt22, and http://tel.st/4mu5 can help troubleshoot some common speed problems.

If there are any network faults or maintenance works in your area affecting broadband services these will be advised via our Service Status page at https://outages.telstra.com/ - if nothing is listed there then our NBN Support teams on 1800 834 273 would be best to contact for investigation and assistance.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

@LEP1 differrent technology types:

NBN FTTP and Fixed Wireless:A White Box gets installed on a wall that you plug your gateway into

FTTN/FTTB: Gateway plugs into the telephone wall socket (Simliar to ADSL)

HFC: A cable modem gets installed that you plug your Gateway into

FTTC: Gateway plugs into a Reverse Power Unit which has a standard telephone plug on it

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
LEP1
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for you reply Yastiandrie. 

I believe that some people get the FTTP and I  wondered why. A neighbour has a box at his home and they are even mentioned on Telstra website. Why can some people get it and some not.

I am very disappointed  in the NBN. I  was told by the assistant at the Telstra shop that I  would have a fast connection.  During week days it is not so bad but at nights and weekends there is always a slowdown.  I think that my old ADSL with iinet was faster. 

If I  complain to Telstra they just tell me to call NBN who don't  want to know about it. 

The whole wireless setup is a problem. I  can rarely use my mobile inside my home and have to go out to the front window to get reception.   My daughter who is also with Telstra has to go right out to the yard or even on to the road.  

The whole NBN  setup is a mess. Before, if there was a blackout we still had our phone but of course now with this dreadful setup we don't.    We cant even depend on our mobile. If there is an emergency we are up the creek without a paddle.

Theolaw

10.7Mbps is pathetic.  This is fraud.

Theolaw

I'm sorry Greg, but Telstra operates a system which, anywhere else, would be regarded as fraudulent.  The evening speed of 10.7Mbps, as measured by the "Telstra Speedtest" is slower than anything I have experienced since dial-up, and that may even have been faster.  I have one device online at a time, my computer.  Should I attempt to download an Apple TV movie it generally times out at some stage.  Hence, I ensure that there is only ever one device online at any one time.  God help this country if it relies on Telstra.  Should our military forces use Telstra systems they are doomed to annihilation, and they will be told that they should have arranged for the enemy to attack at a more convenient time, or, perhaps, that there were already two users on the system.  Face it, Telstra is now a Third World company, except that most of the Third World, I am informed, does it better.

Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

You can get ethernet over power lines for both fast ethernet and Gb ethernet.  One connection from router to study ~$100. Plug them into power socket at each end and attach ethernet cables, You can take them with you if you move or want to change the room you use for computer. Ive used them for dialup and adsl. Now Ill have to get some for NBN. 

You don't have to rewire the house or have cables everywhere.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now