CrowdSupport®
Shane31
Level 1: Cadet

NBN

Answered

Good old Telstra strike again, wait three weeks for a technician to advise the best option to connect to the NBN. We live in a rural area, with constant blackout and was told technician would install battery backup for phone. Take the day off work to met technician, to be contacted by telstra and advised new connect going well and will be turn on, I asked what about the technician and working out how to connect the house and the battery backup. Then told a technician was never coming and battery backup does not exist, once the NBN is connected if it does not work we will problem solve but you will have no internet (able to work) during that. What a great organisation, from Telstra "the Government designed this not us". So when we are stuck at home during bush fire, with no phone no mobile there is nothing Telstra can do. But by the way you have no choice to sign over the NBN. No doubt this will be deleted and never responded to

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN

No, it will not be deleted, the community guidelines do actually not limit the ability to not be happy with Telstra... abuse, aggression, threatening behaviour, those sorts of things can get monitored and adjusted or removed but not just being unhappy. It is all managed by the community guidelines. (if you are interested you can read them here)

NBN is owned by the Govt entity NBN Co, they set what can and can't be done with the network.
If you are on FTTP you can get a backup battery, If you are on FTTN or FTTB or FTTC or HFC, they will not work during a blackout at all, If you have Fixed Wireless you can request to keep your voice service via the traditional copper network and only have the internet over Fixed Wireless, which may allow the phone to continue to work during blackout.

The Govt has only built backup options into the Fixed Wireless and FTTP setups, this is outside of the control of the RSPs, while the Telstra person should have known that and shouldn't have said you could have something that doesn't exist the limitation itself it outside their control.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

No, it will not be deleted, the community guidelines do actually not limit the ability to not be happy with Telstra... abuse, aggression, threatening behaviour, those sorts of things can get monitored and adjusted or removed but not just being unhappy. It is all managed by the community guidelines. (if you are interested you can read them here)

NBN is owned by the Govt entity NBN Co, they set what can and can't be done with the network.
If you are on FTTP you can get a backup battery, If you are on FTTN or FTTB or FTTC or HFC, they will not work during a blackout at all, If you have Fixed Wireless you can request to keep your voice service via the traditional copper network and only have the internet over Fixed Wireless, which may allow the phone to continue to work during blackout.

The Govt has only built backup options into the Fixed Wireless and FTTP setups, this is outside of the control of the RSPs, while the Telstra person should have known that and shouldn't have said you could have something that doesn't exist the limitation itself it outside their control.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Shane31
Level 1: Cadet

I have been told by one said of telstra I need Wireless and the other side fiber to the node, all I wanted was someone from telstra to look at our place and work out the best option. Apparently that is not something they do, there our two houses and need to work out how to best connect them. Even some people in Telstra say that is the commonsense approach to this problem, but will not happen. So far telstra have sent three modems, one telstra TV box, no technician and told to plug two modems into the same phone line. Then the other telstra person said, why did they send you all that it will not work. I GIVE UP..........oh, by the way ADSL cannot explain, why the ADSL speed was reduced the day after the NBN came on line and no longer works, am I suspicious......
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There is no option to look at. You will be stuck with what NBN Co roll out in your area.

If you are on FTTN (VDSL), that is what you are stuck with, and there is no such thing as battery backup in that situation.

If you want to apply to get an FTTP connection, you have to apply for NBN Co to give you a quote (the quote alone costs in excess of $600), plus FTTP would have to be available no further away than the next distribution area (which is highly unlikely).

You say that your ADSL is no longer working. Is your phone service still working? It may be that an NBN tech has dislodged your connection at the pillar.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

It sounds like you have FTTN, so if you plug one of the new modems into the phone line it should register and connect to the NBN network, this would be why the ADSL isn't working anymore as it is trying to connect via the NBN and if you aren't using one of the newer modems it likely isn't FTTN compatible. FTTN is a type of VDSL so it is the 'faster' version of the same DSL technology.

The connection type at the address is predetermined by NBN Co, so Telstra doesn't get a say in which one you end up with. So you can double check the NBN website and they will tell you which one you have been connected to. http://nbnco.com.au

I would suggest trying to plug the modem into the phone port, and give it a couple min and then see if it connects. If you have received the same model of modem it won't matter which one, but if they are different models, the F@ST is the base one, the Max is the middle one and the Frontier is the top one, so if one is a frontier it would be the best to use. The phone will then get plugged into the modem. It takes about 5 min to register usually then you should be able to connect to the internet and the phone should work.

As a side note, you would need to remove any filters or line splitters you have installed.
Helpful Links

mildew1951
Level 2: Rookie

So what happened Shane. Did you get connected?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now