Highlighted
RCampbell
Level 4: Private Eye

NEW nbn Connection with Ethernet

Answered

Hi All

I've been reading all your posts on install drama's etc, Sounds like a hassle. Hopefully they are getting them sorted out. We have now got NBN in our street and getting all the Phone companies bombarding the letter box with how good they are.

Can someone answer a few Questions for me regarding Tesltra, I would prefer to stay with them

1/ Can the NBN box, Be put where my existing ADSL box is, It about 15 Metres from where the phone point comes into the house??

2/ Will ethernet cabling work on the NBN, As i have eternet cables running back to my existing ADSL box??

3/ Will the installer connect between the outside box to the inside box, Down the cavity of my house??

4/ i'm only 500Metres from the telephone exchange, Does this effect the ADSL, One tech told me i mightn't see a big difference due to being so close to the exchange??

We only have the old style T200 phones (plugged into a wall socket) will they work OK

Awaiting your responses

Thanks

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: NEW nbn Connection with Ethernet

1. That is up to NBNco, however you have both NBN equipment that is fixed to the wall, and a Telstra modem that will replace your "ADSL box."

2. Ethernet cabling is perfect.

3. The NBN equipment is installed inside, the exact location and limitations are up to NBNco.

4. NBNco's FTTP network does not use Telstra's copper network, exchanges arent used and are irrelevant. Also being that close on ADSL isn't a problem either.

5. Yes they should work, but if you get voice and data with Telstra they may need to isolate to a cordless handset via the T-Gateway. Older phones tend to have problems with sending feedback along the line, whilst this doesn't always affect your services on a copper network, with VOIP it can in some instances make your service unworkable.

Hope this helps.
Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

1. That is up to NBNco, however you have both NBN equipment that is fixed to the wall, and a Telstra modem that will replace your "ADSL box."

2. Ethernet cabling is perfect.

3. The NBN equipment is installed inside, the exact location and limitations are up to NBNco.

4. NBNco's FTTP network does not use Telstra's copper network, exchanges arent used and are irrelevant. Also being that close on ADSL isn't a problem either.

5. Yes they should work, but if you get voice and data with Telstra they may need to isolate to a cordless handset via the T-Gateway. Older phones tend to have problems with sending feedback along the line, whilst this doesn't always affect your services on a copper network, with VOIP it can in some instances make your service unworkable.

Hope this helps.
Lathania

Thanks Lathania for your response, Hopefuuly when i book in i can ask them to put the internal box where the ADSL box is now, It'll save me a whole heap of work.

Thanks again

Richard

Depends on what you're actually asking. NBN will come out separate to Telstra. Realistically, you will want the NBN equipment /close too/ where your ADSL modem is now, so that Telstra can install the NBN modem where your ADSL one is now.

It's the modem that gives you your connection.

Lathania

Yes that's correct, I'm probably using the wrong terms, But i will ask for the NBN equipment to be as close as posible to the existing euipment

Thanks again

Richard

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more