Highlighted
Jcarp
Level 2: Rookie

Nbn fixed wireless plans?

Answered
Hi, just wondering if Telstra are offering any fixed wireless plans and what speeds are being offered? I get around 9.7 mb/s now but it does get slowed at certain times of day and I have heard that is not an issue with nbn? With multiple users in the house and keen online gamers, any increase in speed and stability would be good if possible
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JustinB
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Nbn fixed wireless plans?

Hi Jcarp,

Totally appreciate your reasons for asking - we plan to start offering services over NBN Co’s fixed wireless network in the second half of the year, and hope to make more information available soon.  When these plans are available, you'll be able to find them on http://www.telstra.com/nbn .  Hope this helps!

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
JustinB
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Hi Jcarp,

Totally appreciate your reasons for asking - we plan to start offering services over NBN Co’s fixed wireless network in the second half of the year, and hope to make more information available soon.  When these plans are available, you'll be able to find them on http://www.telstra.com/nbn .  Hope this helps!

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

Jcarp

Thanks Justin. I will check it out periodically.
insight
Level 1: Cadet

Fixed wireless Internet plans are available through a variety of providers. See the NBN site for a selection. You can get 25/5 Mbs service on very reasonable plans right now.
Jcarp

Thanks insight
ecky
Level 3: Gumshoe

From today Telstra is offering Telstra NBN Consumer Fixed Wireless Offers on the NBN as a solution for customers in regional and remote communities, who can’t connect via fibre.

NBN Co uses a combination of Fibre, Fixed Wireless and Satellite to provide their services to premises in Australia (including islands).

• For densely populated areas and large new estates, NBN Co use Fibre
• For sparsely populated areas, NBN Co use Fixed Wireless.

Fixed Wireless areas are usually on the outskirts of major towns/ cities where internet connections have often been slow, and less reliable than those in metropolitan areas.

Telstra Consumer Fixed Wireless provides high speed (initially up to 12Mbps with up to 25Mbps in development), reliable connections by NBN radio communications through antennas that transmit a signal direct to a small outdoor antenna attached to the premises.

Voice services on Fixed Wireless won’t work if there’s a power outage/ battery failure. That’s why NBN Co requires Telstra to continue to maintain the copper network on behalf of all Telecommunication Service Providers. This voice limitation means that all Service Providers must make customers aware of how this might impact them.

While many people also rely on a mobile phone for communication, a power outage/ battery failure would affect those that:

1. Have a house alarm or other devices that use the home phone line
2. Are Priority Assistance customers and need their home phone line in case of emergency

Fixed Wireless will change the way many customers currently use their home internet:

• Many will enjoy faster download and upload speeds (12mbps/1mbps at launch with 25mbps/5mbps speed boost becoming available soon)

• A faster and more reliable connection to the internet will give them access to T-Box and more advanced HomeLine features available via T-Hub2

• A Fixed Wireless service can be installed before disconnecting the copper services.

Telstra Consumer Fixed Wireless on the NBN Bundles

• T-Bundle Connect on the NBN
• T-Bundle Extend on the NBN
• T-Bundle Extreme on the NBN
• T-Broadband 5GB on the NBN
• T-Broadband 250GB on the NBN
• Casual T-Broadband 5GB on the NBN
• Casual T-Broadband 250GB on the NBN

http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/home-broadband/nbn/plans-products/#tab-Bundles

Telstra's pricing is the same as the Fibre versions. However only the Base speed of 12/1 Mbps available at launch.

T-Voice Standard on the NBN plans are not available as part of Telstra Consumer Fixed Wireless on the NBN offers as the NBN Connection box within the Fixed Wireless footprint doesn't have UNI-V ports.

Karlston

NBN Wireless has been available in many areas for over a year. Why has Telstra only just discovered it?

"25Mbps in development"

NBN Wireless 25/5 has been orderable by RSP's since June 18th. Have had 25/5 (with another RSP) since then.

"Voice services on Fixed Wireless won’t work if there’s a power outage/ battery failure"

Unlike the NBN Fibre NTD, the NBN WIreless and Satellite NTD have no backup battery to fail.

Only 5GB and 200GB plans. Too little and too much quota, respectively. And too late and too dear...

"A Fixed Wireless service can be installed before disconnecting the copper services."

Unlike NBN Fibre areas, the copper in NBN Wireless and Satellite areas will remain active for at least another 10 years.

"http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/home-broadband/nbn/plans-products/#tab-Bundles"

Every tab on that page shows...

Things you need to know

1. Not available over Fixed Wireless

Still, it took ages for the references to cable to be removed from the fine print, so this will probably remain there for a long time yet. Smiley Happy

phyde67

There would seem to be no incentive for Telstra to set up fixed wireless - for those of us with no other alternative we have to use mobile broadband at home, and pay $90 for 12 gig per month.  However Telstra are committed to offering fixed wireless at the same price as fibre, ie $100 for 500 gig - about one eighth of the cost-per-gig.  Yet, as I understand it, the technology of the tower-to-home link is roughly the same, and the only difference is that the tower is supplied by copper not fibre.. so why is it 8 times the cost?  Or, am I missing something here?    Peter

phyde67

Hmm - my maths seems to have slipped... mobile broadband is closer to 40 times as expensive as fixed wireless, not the 8 times I originally said.  Why on earth would Telstra want to put such a milk cow out to pasture?

Peter

Level 21: Augmented

As per ecky's post fixed wireless is already in the works with Telstra, not too sure what you're trying to say about them not bringing it out?
Lathania

Hi,

Any idea when Telstra fixed wireless NBN bundles will include the Foxtel on T-Box Get Started package with 12 great Foxtel channels as part of the bundle at no extra cost? 

Thanks

Level 23: Superhero

Entertainer bundles are available with T-Box for your service now, take a look at the following link:

https://www.telstra.com.au/bundles/index.htm?switch=entertainer-bundles

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Momac

I'm on 25 mbs sec plan fixed wireles and CANNOT use T.Box bundle plans because it's according to telstra "to slow"

but if I'd stayed on the crappy adsl plan I was on I could so why advertise it?

Ian_L

I am quite near an NBN tower which will, according to NBNCo give me great fixed wireless.  When I ring Telstra sales, they ask for a home phone number.  I don't have one as I have used mobiles and 4G broadband (very slow) for a couple of years.

Telstra insist that I have to have a home phone service before they can help me with NBN Fixed Wireless.  Surely this is a joke.  I have to re-activate a copper line service in order to get a wireless service.  

I have been a Telstra/Telecom customer for many years and this is the first time I have considered changing to another Telco.   For example, IINet can give me a fast fixed wireless service as well as a VOIP service and 100Gb of data for less that the "small" servie on Telstra.

Look forward to someone's response.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ian_L

We have similar plans to the one you mentioned for Fixed wireless service on NBN, providing Broadband and VOIP, you can find them here:

If you’re in an NBN Fixed Wireless area you don't need to re-activate a copper line service in order to get a wireless service.  When you call advise us that you have an existing Telstra account, if you have the Billing Account Number provide that, and we can place your order for Fixed Wireless onto that account.

I think the confusion is that we are recommending people in Fixed Wireless areas to keep their copper land line connection for the moment.  Although we have an agreement with NBN Co and the government to disconnect phone and broadband services provided over our copper and HFC networks, once the NBN is rolled out, this only applies where the NBN Fibre network is available, not in areas where Fixed Wireless and Satellite are available.

You can call our sales team on 1800 834 273, option 1 to place an order.  
Hope this helps. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

viewer
Level 8: Inspector

Why is it so HARD to simply find prices and speeds for NBN Wireless via Telstra?.

I do not need or want to use the stupid locator to see if you can have nbn at the address, BUT JUST WANT TO KNOW prices/speeds/bundles/offers etc.

When I look, I see Telstra offering NBN wireless at 12mbs, yet others, using the same tower, offer 25 mbs. Telstra says 25mbs is unavailable at this stage.

As I say, please don't direct me to a site with address data needed...JUST PRICES/SPEEDS/BUNDLES.

Why are Telstra sites so complicated? They are never user friendly.

Thanks.

Level 23: Superhero

Viewer it really isn't as hard as you would make out.

At the following link if you scroll past the availability checker, the plans and prices are shown: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/nbn/nbn-plans

Problem 1: solved.

Immediately below each plan  click on critical information and speeds and everything else you would need to know is there,

or go to this link and everything about what is offered is shown: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/bundles-a-full/personal-c...

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
viewer
Level 8: Inspector

Thanks Jeff,

So, 1st go to

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/nbn/nbn-plans

Then scroll down page until I find

Get $20 off per month on selected bundles M,L or XL

Then EXPLORE BUNDLES

Then, for e.g Select M

That gives me $100

Do I then take $20 off that, and over 24 months, it would be $80 per month +$59 activation fee for new customers, + a $192 charge may apply for a standard professional installation by Telstra.

I then have to go to

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/bundles-a-full/personal-c...

I then also see it displays a price of $100 pm + Upfront cost: $59 ($192 charge has gone now)

Lower down, it says

Broadband speeds
Fast broadband on the NBN offers download line speeds into
the home up to 25Mbps and upload speeds from the home up to
5Mbps (25/5Mbps).

I cannot see anywhere, that it displays like other competitors do, as what the difference in price is available for the 12Mbps speed. Does this mean Telstra only offers 25mbps plans?

It is a really convoluted way to get a price?

Thanks anyhow...

Johno5

I am currently averaging approx  60ms. 20.10 Mb/s D/Load and 12.3 Mb/s U/Load

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more