Highlighted
FredGunn
Level 4: Private Eye

Need help switching from telstra cable to telstra nbn

Answered

Hi

I'm going to order telstra's nbn in a couple of days and am hoping someone could explain a few related issues for me.

(1) Last year, the NBN people installed a box on the outside front wall of my house. There is no form of connection to the inside of my house. Obviously, I also do not have the white NBN modem yet. Is the NBN modem supplied by Telstra or by NBN?. If it is supplied by NBN would I have to contact NBN separately after ordering the NBN service from Telstra?

(2) Are there two sets of technicians involved? One from NBN and one from Telstra? Or is the Telstra part merely a self-install kit?

(3) My current cable connection is via a telstra supplied modem (cable gateway max C6300) bridged to my own router (Nighthawk R7000). I understand Telstra will provide me with a new NBN Gateway Max. If I do not want to use this NBN Gateway Max can I instead connect the R7000 to the NBN modem? I am NOT interested in using the home telephone service.

(4) Is it possible to order the Telstra NBN service via support instead of livechat or the online form?

thanks!!

regards

fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Need help switching from telstra cable to telstra nbn

It is that simple. The authentication happens at the ntd which is acting as the modem essentially. So just plug and play and you should be right.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

1) the inside box will be arranged at the time of an order being placed.

2) you can have self install kit after the nbn tech installs the internal part, or you can have a professional installation if you prefer (or if you have priority assistance you will generally be provided professional installation to set up the Uni-V connection) 

3) Yes, you can use a third party router with FTTP but yes you will sacrifice the usage of the home phone over NGG

4) You can place your order through your preferred method of Online, Store, Phone (1800 709 957) or LiveChat.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

FredGunn

thanks DrQ for the quick reply. much appreciated.

with regards to question (3), would it be preferable to (a) connect the R7000 router directly to the NTD modem, or (b) connect the Tesltra supplied router to the NTD in bridge mode and then connect the R7000 to the Telstra router?

also, using either methods above, are there any configurable settings that I need to input/change in the R7000 like getting the IP address etc. thanks!

rgds

fred

It could go either way, but on FTTP with no voice service at play there is no benefit in putting the tgatway in the middle in bridge mode. Just adding an extra level of complication.
Helpful Links

FredGunn

thanks again DrQ for yr reply.

i have just received a squarish white Telstra Gateway router in the mail. it comes with a password for each of the two wifi bands.

am i right in assuming that i will NOT have to be using these telstra router passwords - as I will be using the existing passwords that i have been using with my netgear R7000 router.

for the service, is it as simple as just plugging a cable between the red WAN port of the R7000 and the yellow UNI-D port of the NBN modem? OR is there a username and password that i will have to enter on a portal to get the nbn service activated with telstra?

rgds

fred

Accepted Solution

It is that simple. The authentication happens at the ntd which is acting as the modem essentially. So just plug and play and you should be right.
Helpful Links

Just keep the gateway as a backup that way you can plug it in if there is a fault for helping troubleshoot because tech support aren't good with third party devices.
Helpful Links

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now