CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Netgear CG3100D-2-BPAUS Nat and Bridge problems

Answered

Hi Everyone,

Having just shared a house that was using 500GB Telstra cable plan, I quickly signed up for the same when I moved in my own home 5 weeks ago.

Once live though, I had NAT issues from the start. All of my gear worked perfectly in the old environment (my wired main PC, my wired media centre PC, my daughter’s USB WIFI enabled PC, PS4, XBOX One, Wii, Android phone, iPad)

All this equipment simply worked. The consoles were all connected to via WIFI using auto setup and had exceptional speeds.

Upon setting up in my new environment, the wired PC worked as expected, with some very slow speeds despite fast speed tests. However the PS4 would connect on auto setup to WIFI, but every time I clicked test internet, it would drop out, fail, then connected, then fail etc. Very intermittent.

When I was connected, my NAT Type was showing Type2, but mainly Type3 (chopped and changed). Worse still, it failed to allow me to connect to any servers. Period. I could browse the PS Store and download sure enough. But not a single game server in any game could be accessed. Always citing network error on my end. I tried setting everything up with static IP’s but still no change.

I took my PS4 (easiest thing to move), to the old house and it connected immediately and allows server access. It was showing NAT Type2. We even did a hard reset to confirm the default values were used. We never added any ports configurations previously but wanted to be sure. Again, perfect.

I then took it to another friend with IPrimus and it connected to their WIFI immediately and allowed full server access. Again NAT Type2.

I called Telstra and explained it all and the tests id done elsewhere but no one knew anything about what I was talking about. As if no one had heard of NAT Types, gaming, servers or even Playstation.

They simply said “I can see you have a strong connection, can I help you with anything else today?”

I read about bridged mode on your site and tried it. Low and behold it worked. I had super fast NAT Type1 connection via wifi on the PS4 and phone and my wired PC was superfast. All running on auto WIFI (console), or auto obtain IP address (PC, media centre PC).

Then yesterday I purchased a new Xbox One (I sold the last one before move. Long story). It can see the WIFI but wont connect. Says it can’t connect to DHCP server. After a few failed attempts at connecting, it allows you to alter the config manually. I see then that the IP address it assigned automatically is not in the range I was expecting to see. It had 169.254.159.154. the dns settings were fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 and fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

The PS4 still connected to WIFI automatically however and had the expected IP and DNS settings (61.9.134.49, 61.9.133.193). Then I setup my daughter’s PC with the USB WIFI. Connects but says unidentified network. Won’t let me use internet but I can see shared folders.

I phoned Telstra and they said they won’t support bridged mode and told me to change it back. Which I did. They asked me to do a hard reset (with the pin), which I did. The internet connects (as expected), but not one of my devices can utilize it.

My PC cant access internet (still set to auto obtain IP). My phone says connected but can’t use WIFI. The PS4 wont connected either (won’t get an IP address). Nothing.

And of course, the brand new out of the box Xbox One wont connect either, despite seeing the WIFI connection and accepting the key.

Why wont the default settings on the Netgear CG3100D-2-BPAUS allow all my devices as they do at the old house?

Why does it no longer accept any connections even after a hard reset.

Why does the bridged mode work for some but not all devices?

I just want y internet to work as it should without Telstra tech’s washing their hands of it. Its not enough to have a connection into the house. The service needs to work for all devices. It’s clearly not a fault with any of my devices.

I dont want to have to use bridge mode if it restricts the about of devices, or requres additional expense to set up to replicate 'normal conditions'. Especially since Telstra dont support it.

Can someone please lead me by the hand on this.

Thanks in advance. Desperate here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear CG3100D-2-BPAUS Nat and Bridge problems

Easiest solution is to buy a Wi-Fi router disable Wi-Fi on the BigPond modern and do it that way.

Otherwise try resetting all the settings on the modem

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hi,

If you Bridge your modem you cannot use the wifi on it.

My understanding is that it is providing public ip's to all the computers not private ips thats why only the first computer works.

To bridge successfuly you need to disable wifi on the device and get a seperate wifi router.
Highlighted

Thank you kindly for your response.

That explains the bridge issues. Now I just need to tackle why I cant use normal NAT mode out of the box.

Can any tech types explain my best course of action?

Is the CG3100D faulty if it cant provide access via NAT mode?

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Easiest solution is to buy a Wi-Fi router disable Wi-Fi on the BigPond modern and do it that way.

Otherwise try resetting all the settings on the modem

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Done... and now working. Thanks very much once again.

Highlighted

Great! Can you mark the topic as solved "accept as solution"
Highlighted

I will. But with reservations. I still dont like that I was forced down this road. 
I spent $150 to replicate the working conditions one should expect out of the box.

But it was worth to put an end to my frustrations.

But I sincerely thank you for your input.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit