CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Netgear CGD24N V2 Problems

I am having continuing problems with my Netgear CGD24N V2 cable gateway. It is unreliable and its range seems poor. It is certainly patchy. I have a smallish 2 storey double brick house on a 405 square metre block, with houses close by on either side and behind us. We are close enough to neighbours for our computers to detect several other WiFi signals of reasonable strength; sometimes stronger signals than our own!

Our modem/gateway is downstairs in the middle of the house. We do have a suspended slab, which may impede the signal upstairs. There is definitely poor reception in the bedrooms, but elsewhere upstairs, the signal strength is usually acceptable (and that is where we have an Apple TV). Twice we've had Telstra technicians out to fix our internet and the modem/gateway has been replaced once by Telstra, but nothing much has improved. We pay for Ultimate Liberty Cable, but our internet speeds are poor. Often just sending simple emails is a problem. They time out! Downloading a movie onto my Mac, to watch via Apple TV can take from 1.5 to 8 hours! This is unacceptable.

Using WiFi, we have 4 Mac computers, an Apple TV, 2 iPods, an iPad mini, 4 iPhones, a TiVo unit, a Fuji Xerox printer and a Toshiba laptop PC. There is also a Windows Desktop connected via ethernet cable. At any given time, several of these are in use simultaneously.

This week, access to the printer suddenly ceased to function via WiFi. The printer is only several weeks old and despite numerous problems during the initial setup in this Windows-centric universe, it has been working perfectly up until now. Try as I might, I cannot get it to function. The gateway "sees" the printer and vice versa, but it will not print wirelessly! I've reinstalled the updated drivers, to no avail.

Can anyone advise me as to how I can improve this situation? Are there better, more powerful gateways that are compatible with BigPond cable AND which are compatible with both Apple and Windows operating systems?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Netgear CGD24N V2 Problems

Hi drzzz,

I would suggest having a look at Shelly's Crowd Support post here

This should help you in working out the best way to get the most from your Wifi network in your house.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks for that.

As a way to get around this problem, does BigPond sell high speed cable modems ONLY (no router/gateway/WiFi capability)? That way, I could buy a powerful aftermarket router to solve my problems. I thought about disabling the WiFi on the CGD24N v2 and doing just that, but there is no WAN port on the thing, and I thought a WAN port would be necessary in order to use the Netgear gateway purely as a modem and the aftermarket router for its WiFi capability.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi drzzz,

Yeah unfortunately we don't offer Wired 1 port Cable modem's only WIFI/router enabled ones here

Sorry Smiley Sad

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

After asking widely, I have finally solved the problem myself. I have disabled the NAT on the Netgear gateway, so it now functions purely as a modem. I've connected an Apple Time Capsule to the modem as a base station/router/gateway with DHCP and NAT enabled. I found the location upstairs with the strongest WiFi signal and placed an Apple Airport Express there. It has been configured as a WiFi extender. I now have a strong signal throughout my house, with acceptably fast internet.

I must say, given that I am paying for fast cable internet with Telstra Bigpond (Liberty Ultra), I am very disappointed by the poor quality of their gateway and the fact that as a paying customer, you have no choice in the matter. I am even more disappointed by the lack of knowledge among Bigpond Service Centre personnel in my half a dozen extended conversations about this problem. I am most disappointed by the lack of knowledge of this problem by the technicians who visited our house on two occasions.

Surely, everyone involved in the provision of these services should either understand the workings of the equipment provided or know exactly who to refer the customers to!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I finally found out how to log into my wi-fi but I want to know how to put in time settings so I can have the wifi modem turned off over night so my teenager doesn't use it over night.  Any  ideas?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit