Highlighted
Dfisher74
Level 3: Gumshoe

New Modem = Improved Performance

Answered

Hi

Ive been with Telstra a few months now on ADSL2.

I generally get around 5mb/s which I'm not overly thrilled about but from reading on here I think I should be thankful! I rang Telstra once about my speed and was given a brush off (probably because it's well above their minimum even though it's not really ADSL 2 speeds)

My question is - I am using the standard technicolor gateway modem that costs $48. My sole use of the modem is wireless, don't have the Ethernet plugged in on any device.

My question is, if I was to buy my own modem, such as an N600, would that improve my speed, even if it's only by 1 or 2 mb/s

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: New Modem = Improved Performance

Looking at the stats, I'm with Lath on this one. You may get a minor increase (say, between 200kbps and 300kbps) but not the 1-2Mbps you were expecting.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Dfishe74,

The answer to your question is probably "no" but it does depend on your modem stats. Could you please post the stats from your modem, instructions on how to get them for a Technicolor Gateway can be found here.

Lathania

Cheers, will do when I get home

Dfisher74

Any tips would be much appreciated

Home 
Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 11:18:34
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.021 / 6.550
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:19,55 / 208,66
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,3 / 19,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:26,1 / 44,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6,5 / 6,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):12 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):1.472 / 16.651
CRC Errors (Up/Down):15 / 23
HEC Errors (Up/Down):4 / 256
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Looking at the stats, I'm with Lath on this one. You may get a minor increase (say, between 200kbps and 300kbps) but not the 1-2Mbps you were expecting.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Dfisher74

Cheers - is there a link where I can read how to interpret those modem stats because they really dont mean much to me!

Level 21: Augmented

Sorry Dfisher I don't have any links handy but I'm sure a little bit of Google research on reading ADSL stats should give you a general idea.

If you don't do much uploading / gaming you could optimise your connection a little more by trying out ADSL1. It'll drop your upload speed by 2/3 but might improve your downloads slightly. In the event that every KB counts for you =P

Alternatively, can you try an Isolation Test and see if the Downstream attenuation improves at all. If it does by a significant amount you may need to ensure everything is filtered correctly / replace some home equipment.

Lathania

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now