CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
greendingo
Level 3: Gumshoe

New tophat no ADSL2+ ports available

Answered

So after six and a half years of not being able to get ADSL at my house I'd been keeping an eagle eye on the tophat rollout spread sheet to see if my area would get an upgrade. You can imagine the smile on my face when I saw we'd be getting a tophat in my area in December. I've been obsessively checking the spread sheet every couple of days to see if anything has changed or progressed and to my suprise on the 28th of November the tophat was commissioned in my area (ahead of time, nice work Telstra).

I applied for ADSL the very next day with my provider, who had me hooked up the following week (last week). To my surprise though I was on ADSL1 speeds (8M/384k), when I questioned why they said there were no ADSL2+ ports available in the tophat (my mouth was wide open at this point), I asked them to check again but they are saying no the SQ tool is saying no ports available. I was hoping someone could tell me how this could be possible in such a short timeframe and what (if anything) can I do to get myself on an upgrade list if it is right. (DSLAM ID should be QMAYME4012M).

Thanks

This is the service qualification for my number

Telstra

Compatibility Check:

failed

Compatibility Result:

B2B Service Number: 089272xxxx Product Compatibility: DSL-L2 DSL-L2 incompatible with PSTS product

SQ Check:

passed

SQ Result:

B2B SQ: DSL-L2 Service Number: 089272xxxx SQ Response: Pass SQ Results Result: 256Kbps/64Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: 512Kbps/512Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: 512Kbps/128Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: 1.5Mbps/256Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: Open 1 (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: Open 2 (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
greendingo
Accepted Solution

Re: New tophat no ADSL2+ ports available

Big thumbs up fo DanK and Mok for there assistance, it appears there was at least one port available on the tophat which I've now been moved across to and enjoying ADSL2 speed. Thanks again guys.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
mokatron
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I dont know if this is the case, but the tophat goes on first but doesnt get cut over straight away, so simply seeing the tophat on might not mean much. Also, you do lose ports with the tophat, so I dont know if thats the case too. Would you know if the work to cut it over has been done yet?

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
greendingo

Hi mokatron,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't physically seen the tophat, I've been using the telstra tophat rollout spreadsheet (www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/tophat.xls) to get my info. The spreadsheet has the tophat as being comissioned and ports available. From the reading I've done on various forums that normally means that when you apply you get ADSL2+. Are you or anyone at Telstra able to confirm the status and port availability on the DSLAM?

Thanks

mokatron

yeah I can find out,  any idea where the top is you feed from?

I'm a Telstra employee posting on my own volition, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
greendingo

The exchange it's fed from is Maylands and the DSLAM/tophat I believe is QMAYME3S2 (old name) or QMAYME4012M. 

Out of interest how many ports in total are in average tophat and how many in a DSLAM (ADSL 1 part)?

Thanks again

mokatron

Not 100% but I think DSLAM has 300 ports and Tophat has 288. You do lose a few. 

Ill see what I can find out.

greendingo

Great thanks Mokatron

mokatron

I'm struggling to find anything with my contacts without a phone number, but I won't ask for that for privacy reasons. I did find a website though, have you tried this one yet?

https://telstra.com.au/misc/tophat/index.cfm

mok

greendingo

Hi mok,

That only shows upcoming deployments not currently deployed tophats. The tophat spread sheet (well the referenced maps) shows my address being covered by the new top hat, all I'm trying to understand is are there really any ports available or not for ADSL2+ on that top hat/DSLAM?

Thanks

mokatron

Sorry if I got your hopes up, but my contacts only have a chance to help me with a phone number of some sort (they normally help when theres are fault or something) so sorry, that link is the best I can so.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi greendingo,

Send me a private message with your phone number and I will take a look for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

greendingo
Accepted Solution

Big thumbs up fo DanK and Mok for there assistance, it appears there was at least one port available on the tophat which I've now been moved across to and enjoying ADSL2 speed. Thanks again guys.

mokatron

Good to hear mate! Sorry I couldn't help more, Telstra has privacy policies that stop me using certain things, but if Dank sorted you out to a happy ending, sweet as :-)

Mok

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now