Highlighted
Trippy
Level 2: Rookie

No ADSL hardware in my exchange

I just had a Telstra technician call me to tell me that there is a hardware incompatibility for ADSL in my area. After talking to a Telstra tech I have now found out that there is (...wait for it...) NO ADSL HARDWARE in my exchange. Not as in that there are no free ADSL ports available but as in there are no ADSL available at all. Is this reasonable in these modern times? I live 15 km outside a major regional town (Rockhampton) with a population of 82,000. Is Telstra supposed to provide ADSL to all customers who have a phone line?

There is Telstra 3G available, so I use mobile internet, but the download quotas are miniscule compared to ADSL. This excludes us from using most modern media delilvery services.

Is there a way to let Telstra know that we need ADSL in my area? Most of my neighbours would also be very keen on "real" broadband. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Ms_Megahurtz
Level 12: Master Detective

Re: No ADSL hardware in my exchange

@Trippy wrote:

I just had a Telstra technician call me to tell me that there is a hardware incompatibility for ADSL in my area. After talking to a Telstra tech I have now found out that there is (...wait for it...) NO ADSL HARDWARE in my exchange. 

That is a little hard to believe. Because incompatibility usually means you're on a pair gain service or have other incompatible products (multi ring back in the day). I'm shocked to hear that an exchange doesn't have hardware at all.

What area do you live in so a few of us who know where to look for things on the public website can look up the exchange code and see what it has to say for itself?

Jen

--------------------
Ms_Megahurtz
Nerdy Roller Derby Girl

** SPECIAL NOTE **
The opinions posted here are those of my own mind, and not those of my employer.
Trippy

Thank you for your response Ms Megahurtz. I live in Nankin, QLD 4701.

Trippy

Would Telstra speed up the upgrade of my exchange if I door-knocked and asked my neighbours to sign a list that they are interested in getting ADSL?

Trippy

How come there is no official comment from a Telstra rep? I would just like to know what the deal is and if it is likely or unlikely that I will ever get ADSL.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Trippy 

I'm forwarding your post to our Social Media Tech Team so they will be in contact with you to investigate your concerns in more detail

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Trippy

Thanks Lindy, but noone has contacted me yet.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Trippy,

The availability of ADSL has little to do with your distance to a large town and more to do with the technology that is currently in the ground, and some of the older technology isn't compatible with ADSL. Remember, this network was built approximately 50 years ago and was never designed to be used for anything other than telephone services.

The following link provides a spreadsheets containing current ADSL enabled exchanges and the planned upgrades to enable ADSL. http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm These spreadsheets are updated regularly as planning has been approved and/or has been completed.

Over the next few years, NBN Co will be rolling out a new network designed for the internet. Although there does not appear to be anything currently planned, I would recommend regularly checking the roll out map to see when Fixed or Wireless broadband is planned for your area: http://nbnco.com.au/ 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more