Shocking
Level 1: Cadet

No ADSL ports

Answered

Hi

Can someone  please clarify to me that, " why do Telstra have to raise an order in my name just to confirm if i can be connected to broadband on active telephone line"

I was with Telstra for 5 years, untill i moved my house and asked Telstra to move my broadband and Telephone line to new home.

Telephone line was connected successfully, and then Telstra advised that they can not connect Broadband as there is no port available in my local exchange and keep calling Telstra every week or so to check if any port has become available (Not happy about it), but seems that is my only choice.

Called up Telstra today, and was told that in order to check port availability, the operator i was talking to, will have to place an order for braodband in my name, so that technician can visit exchange and confirm if there is any port available.

Questions:

what if there is still no port available?

will i have to check again next week or so?

This way, if Telstra keep placing orders in my name every week, i will end up with multiple orders / accounts in my name with no Broadband connection.

This seems really a stupid way just to check if port is avaiable or not.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Re: No ADSL ports

Hi Shock,

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

This is the Telstra Wholesale page, the excel under Available ADSL capacity - Exchanges is what you want to look at.  Saves having to call each time Smiley Wink  Hope this helps.

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
anoid71
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Good luck with this one. I was told 2-3 weeks at point of sale, only to be told maybe another couple of weeks as there were no ports available but the reality is I will have to wait 9-12 months with this also not guaranteed. This is because I will have to wait until someone else drops their internet and a port becomes available. Good luck in trying to get your service restored and you'll be surfing soon and not splashing around in the bigpond like I have been left to do!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
77 REPLIES 77
BMac
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Hi Shock,

http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

This is the Telstra Wholesale page, the excel under Available ADSL capacity - Exchanges is what you want to look at.  Saves having to call each time Smiley Wink  Hope this helps.

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Shocking,

There are tests that can only be done as part of the connection order which is why we need to place one. We can give a general idea about availability but can't guarantee it until those final checks are done. Placing orders and not being able to connect will not result in multiple accounts as the order will be cancelled if we cannot supply ADSL.

It is also worth noting that the report BMac mentioned is not a guarantee of port availability. While we do our best to keep it as up to date as possible ports may be assigned before your order is placed meaning that the report could say there are ports available when they are actually not.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

anoid71
Accepted Solution

Good luck with this one. I was told 2-3 weeks at point of sale, only to be told maybe another couple of weeks as there were no ports available but the reality is I will have to wait 9-12 months with this also not guaranteed. This is because I will have to wait until someone else drops their internet and a port becomes available. Good luck in trying to get your service restored and you'll be surfing soon and not splashing around in the bigpond like I have been left to do!

Shocking

Hi Ashley
Thanks for clarifying that.
i have checked the list of available ports in Somerton Exchange (Vic) updated on 14th Jan and list shows there are 849 ports available.
I can't understand why then i am told that no port is available?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Shocking,

If you apply for ADSL and are advised that there are no ports available, that means that either all operational ports are taken or it may be that your service is on an identified exchange experiencing high demand. The team that monitors this can block any available ports to prevent the load from increasing which would reduce the quality of the service available.  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

SwissTony
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Shelley,

No offence but I have been waiting for months to be connected to Telstra's ADSL.  I have filed 16 applications so far or ADSL, with Telstra and other providers.  I was told today that ports do become available but only a limited number at a time on any given day.  So far I have missed out 16 times and I have been told by Telstra that this could take up to as much as 12 months.   At once a week that would be 52 times applying going through the same details time and time again.  I've got a great idea, maybe I should have my own automated voice answering service to replay my details over the phone.

Seriously! What else can be done?  Clearly it is not good enough that I and many other people have to wait this long.  Oh! and don't spin me the NBN coming soon thing.  I have checked this out and it is at least 3 - 5 years away before we can get it.  So much for a solution.

What do you say to that, apart from the "we can't guarantee" anything spiel?

SwissTony

Hi Ashley,

You also mentioned: "Placing orders and not being able to connect will not result in multiple accounts as the order will be cancelled if we cannot supply ADSL".  So I can have multiple orders?  If so, do mean to say that I can place multiple orders on a daily basis in the hope that I might get a Port?

SwissTony

Re: No ADSL ports - according to ADSL 2 EXCHANGE WEBSITE it does not appear to be so

ADSL 2 exchange_Map_QLD_Arundel-page1.jpg

SwissTony

Hi Shelley,

As you can see from the image I have posted just now the map indicates multiple ports available in my area.  Now either this information is incorrect which I am sure ADSL 2 Exchange website would disaggree orTelstra is not ACTUALLY checking.  From the map  posted there is a port available in my street.  Why then do I keep applying for a connection and every time I am told there are NO PORTS AVAILABLE.   Telstra say that only when someone moves / leaves the area.  Well I I can see from my RP DATA account that many houses and units have been sold in the last 3 months.  Dozens in actual fact.

Why am I still gettig the same excuse every time? 

Support Team
Support Team

The available port shown on that site may be assigned to another provider for the area who has a wholesale arrangement to lease Telstra services - the best course of action is to speak with our Activations teams on 13 22 00 regarding the orders which have been lodged to discuss options for a connection.

MarkBetss

I have the same concern. I just find it upsetting that we are waiting in line to have an ADSL port available for us. Now we are paying for a phone line that we are not using just to keep us on the line. Telstra has the monopoly on the ports and now we are at their mercy to get internet.

and one more thing. .  will we ever know if you are increasing ports in our place in the near future?

Mark from Virginia SA

aaron1

tbh if you signed a bundle you should be only paying when your adsl connection is available since your buying a bundle for adsl

Smokie

G'day Shocking.

I am in the same position as you. We informed Telstra we were moving house which was just around the corner from where we were living, same area, same node, same phone number.

Because we knew about the shortage of ports in the actual node we asked if there was a possibility of loosing our ADSL connection and was told that would not happen as were just moving our account not shutting it down.

Actually we have found out since that there isn't a lack ports in the node, it's just that Telstra won't activate any new one because of the NBN, which by the way won't be in my area for at least 3 year and also, there are spare ADSL2 ports in the node not being used which again Telstra won't activate, but all anyone can get in our area is an 8 meg connection ( if one is available).

We were told it could be up to three months before we might get a new connection and that Telstra has a dedicated team that would follow up with us about getting re-connected. So far no one has called to let us know what is happening.

Today, I just got my Telstra bill and they have charged me for the last months ADSL connection which hasn't been connected for the last month.

I just get so fed up with the run around and the lack of information one gets when from Telstra.

Nightbreed

Same as well.no ports in my area and telstra just passing the buck with head in the sand waiting for nbn . In my area they cant even give.a.date.when.we.get nbn. So telatra... Its not that u cant help, its more like u will not help. Start listening to the people and fix.the.problem not just give shallow words that u will.
Pikey13A
Level 2: Rookie

Agreed,

The no ports excuse would be ok if it was the only reason. If there is congestion at the exchange then tell the customer. Given that you can be in a queue with held orders tell us how many people are in the queue not just a completely useless timeframe I was last told 9-12 months. Be honest and upfront.
Shuey

Dear Tech Support

Telstra Wholesale's Available ADSL Capacity at Exchanges report indicates almost 2000 ports available at my Wallsend NSW exchange as of 01/04/14, yet I get "BUNDLES MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA" from the very start everytime I try to sign up to a bundle plan.

In the past I could at least sign up to a plan before Telstra informs me via email "no ports available" a few days later. Has Telstra put a blanket high demand exchange block on ports in my area now, even at before the sign up stage?

ADSL2exchange.com.au search on my address doesn't show any RIM information near me at all (see screenshot), does this mean I'm doomed to be stuck with wireless broadband until the very unlikely NBN comes to town?

Is there anyway I could be placed on an urgently waiting for ADSL list within my area?

Shuey

Untitled.png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Shuey, 

It's important to note that just because there are ports available at your exchange, that doesn't mean that those ports are the ones you will be connected to. 

Most exchanges have multiple Roadside Boxes, which are closer to homes, that provide your ADSL connection, instead of the main exchange. 
Looking at the data you have at the moment, you are over 4.1 km from the main exchange and that's as the crow flies, and obviously line length has to follow roads (and not necessarily the most direct path).

This means if it weren't for roadside boxes, we couldn't offer you an ADSL service at all, as the ADSL Transmission loss would be too high to support a connection. 

Now, on the Telstra Wholesale report, this then means you have to look at the ADSL Capacity- CAN report instead.
Wallsend has 13 sub-exchanges/ roadside boxes. 2 of which have no ports, so your connection would go through one of those boxes. 

Steph

Rick1263

Hi. I knew here.. My complaint is that know ports at the exchange where I live.. I reside in a country town called Branxholm Tasmania. I am approx 1 k. From local upgraded exchange.. When I first got the home phone connected I was told buy Telstra that ADSL. Was available. at the address where I live. So I called big pond and sign up for a ADSL Internet service.. After many weeks and frustrating phone calls to Telstra. They informed me there are know ports at local exchange.and would have to wait until some one moves out or Dies in the country town where I live before I could have a Internet service.. What. Upsets me is that we took a drive around the town and there are several houses empty so there should be spare ports ready to be put in use..Telstra idiots who decide on exchange upgrades don't even consider that there may be future devolpment. In the area.. What a bunch of idiots. .. And the best part is the NBN line runs down the Tasman highway to the east coast of Tasmania. Right past my street. What a joke Telstra..
Hey was told from other sources that telstra won't do much in Tasmania. As there is not enough people. Living here ,so that means Telstra. Can't make a reasonable. Profit here.. All Telstra worries. About is there profit margin..
I do know that here in Tasmania that the equipment. Needed to go in the exchange is just lying in a warehouse. Somewhere in Tasmania. Is just going to waste... Telstra lie on the adverts and websites saying they look after regional. People. So have know faith in Telstra at all they don't even contact you. . I am sick and tired of ringing them all the time and trying to get answers .. And what gives me the shi....... Is that the idiot from telstra doesn't know any thing so you have to goe through all the crap each time you call them... I feel Telstra decides who has Internet and who doesn't..???
It's about time our useless government ( ie ). Malcolm turnbull. Got of his backside and demanded that Telstra do there job properly buy helping rural people. Who can't have Internet..
I do know if Gunns still operated over here that I would have Internet as house belongs to them and they did have a big influence in the local government. Over here... Oh well we shall se what response I get .. From Telstra.. Thankyou unhappy customer from Tasmania
MicheleGe

We moved house 8 weeks ago and subsequently have no internet while waiting for a port to become available. This is causing us huge issues because we both work from home regularly and the wireless/ mobile reception is virtually pointless. Are we actually in a queue or should we be calling daily until someone helps us?
Cnnectme

I have also moved house to find myself left high and dry due to no ports. I to work from home after hr's which i can do via wireless but due to the cost i'm limited to doing much else. I understand it's a business but Telstra posted a $4 billion profit so forgive me for not accepting the "there's nothing we can do" excuse.

If Telstra were in any way customer orintated they would be working to upgrade exchanges where demand required it. In the interium they should be offering customers affordable wireless packages until a port becomes available, after all, it's certainly not the customers fault they can't get cheap internet.  

We have a RIM service thats connect to the Tingalpa exchange (which had a speed upgrade last month) which is a joke in itself, and I can't understand why they upgrading speeds when customers have nothing. Must be how Telstra's provisioning team "Carefully plan".

As it stands it be much easier to pass customers off to an overseas call centre with the "I'm so sorry we can't do anything BS" that gets pushed on people now.

Rant over

CamfromPerth

Serious ? Not activating any more ports until NBN ???
NBN is a cruel joke. The sun would have gone red giant and super novae by the time NBN comes to anyone. Im moving to York WA to live with my girl frieind, She has told me the bad news. No ports available in York. Oh and the funniest thing she said was they told her to wait for te NBN ..... in York haahahahaahahahaahahahaahhaah.........hahahaahahahaah
Paynting

I'm from Mildura and we have also been repeatedly told there are no ports available for ADSL. I am putting in an order every single week until one is mine.

Currently stuck with a 15GB 4G mobile broadband plan that runs out half way through the month and we get capped to 64kbps which is absolutely useless. Have to refresh pages 3 times to painstakingly load them.

Who can tell me what CAN stands for? From that excel there are only 9 CAN's in Mildura and they only cover a tiny portion of the town (not including my street). Does anyone know if them CAN Area Layouts are accurate?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Paynting,

CAN = Copper Access Network and I would say that the maps are pretty accurate.

- Shelly

binod

Hi,

I placed an ADSL order about 6 months ago. but still not getting connected. everytime when i ring to telstra, they say there is not enough port available. but when i checked telstra wholesale page, it says there are more than 500 ISAM ports available in my Frenchville exchange. my home phone is still active. can anyone help me why i am not getting ADSL?

regards,

Binod

Rick1263

Hi I live at country town in Tasmania have been trying to get ADSL for 10 months. Telstra have been giving me the run around all th excuses under the sun. It first stated as know ports available. At local exchange .. But latest excuse is now Congestion on phone lines. But what makes me mad as I have gave them street addresses of people that have moved out of area So why couldn't I get there service ... I do know there is over 20 ports available in the exchange as a Telstra tech guy showed me and all the NBN equipment is in boxes just laying on the floor. .. What a joke Telstra.. They all ways blame some one else for there stuff ups ,, the sales team just lie to you.???? And they do not send any tech people to check the exchange. As I laid a trap to see if any body had been there. And no one visited the site for all most 2 months. Even know Telstra sales told me that they would send tech guy to check exchange...so do not believe what Telstra tells you over phone...thank you
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Rick 

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear that you have had so many issues in trying to obtain an ADSL port. 

I do need to let you know, we do not need to send someone to the exchange to check for ADSL Port availability. This information is all available electronically. 

Surely, there is absolutely no reason why we would hold back on releasing a port to you, if there was one available? The more services we sell, the more revenue comes in. 

Which exchange specifically are  you referring to? 

Kind regards 

Rick1263

The exchange is Branxholm tasmania 7261.. Well why do sales staff tell me this every time I place a order..
Please understand that I was shown by one of your tech guys the available. Ports and he tried for me and he was told that we cannot have ADSL. As there is line congestion...and Ian not the only person in Branxholm who are trying to get a broadband service .. And your mobile broadband is to expensive. For me to use. And I was told that I could wait years for a broadband service from Telstra. Now with NBN that runs through the township NBN co told me that small country towns will never be connected to it as it's not viable. In other words they can't make money ... Just think have been trying for 10 months and Telstra still can't give me a broadband service. So much for technology. It's the biggest joke in Australia. We are way behind the rest of the world . Than you un happy customer ...?????
Support Team
Support Team

HI Rick1263

ADSL is not available to every home in Australia, and we have never promised that it would be. The fact is that networks are available where they are available, and not where they are not, for any number of possible reasons- we have never guaranteed that all services, or any service, would be available everywhere. We do have the largest total network coverage which means we can connect up to 99% of the population with some form of internet or other but again, not all homes will get all services and some may not get any. That's the current reality I'm sorry. 

Regarding the port report you've seen, do keep in mind that ports are available for multiple providers not just Telstra, ports may appear to be empty but that doesn't mean they are available (e.g quarantined ports), and it doesn't take into account pending applications that are already processing before yours.

I apologise if you have been unable to get your preferred choice of Telstra service at your home so far, if you'd like information about our held order process you can find this here:  What is our ADSL Held order process?

Rick1263

Have a order held in place but they always cancell when they ring me and tell me that no internet connection.
Hey Telstra even told me when people move out I might have a chance to get there port....I do know that there have been aprox 6 people have moved out of town in the last 6 months...now I do know that there are only 2 people in Branxholm who have been trying to get Internet it is me and some one else who is trying to start a business . Hey small town so we know what goes on in the town a very good community ..
Rick1263

Hey also I was told by Telstra this is the only service available in my country town.. So I don't have any choice but use Telstra...
Rick1263

Hey as I sais before the reason I can't have Internet is because congestion in phone lines..this was told to me by tech support. And they had no answer what could be done about it...
spongozoid1

How bout you sharpen up the online spreadsheets a little.

For instance. I've been waiting 3 months for a port at the Kilcoy exchange. Now I know for a fact that I'm not on a rim or otherwise. I know the DA I'm on. I know it's fed from the exchange.

So, I've been watching. The Exchanges upgrade report was listed for March this year for a capacity upgrade. Said spreadsheet now says Completed. Yet it seems that the capactiy report hasn't been updated, or, all the ports put in, have been taken by held orders. Or, the completion is a lie. Or the upgrade was a lie.

Surely, if you have people waiting for ports, and you COMPLETE an upgrade, you'd budget for future applications as well? IE.. if there's 10 people waiting, you surely wouldn't only provision 8. Correct?

My chosen provider has looked into the matter, and have told me no ETA on my held order. This, honestly, is ludicrous.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

As you are with another provider, I am legally required to direct you to them for any queries regarding your order and the availability of ADSL in your area. They have the means to contact Telstra Wholesale who provide those spreadsheets.

- Shelly

Alex100

I have been waiting since 2003 - twelve years and still no port availability for me.  I live 3kms from Sydney CBD - Alexandria.  Also when I go to lodge a complaint, I receive this error.. 

telstra.JPG

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Alex100, 

Have you looked into when NBN is coming to your area? you can do so herehttps://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/nbn

I would suggest clearing caches/cookies before trying to lodge a complaint via the website again 

Thanks

Alex100

there is no information on that link of when NBN will be coming to my area.   Can you please look into how I can make a complaint given your online form is broken?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Alex100, 

You can check if there is NBN or due to be via the link here https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/nbn/nbn-rollout 

You can contact our team on 132200 & say Complaint to lodge a complaint over the phone

​ 

MrChalliwell

Hey Alex,

No ports available after 13 years seems unlikely, I think you may find that the "path" Telstra has in their system is routed incorrectly and no one has tried to have a transposition done on your line. If you would like to discuss it further your quite welcome to Private message me and we can have a chat about how to have this done.

Best regards

Cain

Dan13245

Hi,

I was just wondering if i was able to get ADSL2, becuase at the moment i have ADSL1. Is there any availiable ADSL2

ports in my area? (Kingaroy, QLD 4610)

Thanks.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Dan, 

Come through to us via Live Chat here: http://tel.st/hsc3 and we can check to see if ADSL2+ is available to your address. If it is, then there is a good chance you are connected directly to the main exchange, which has ports available. Checking on the sub exchanges, ADSL2+ has no ports available. Also some sub exchanges are ADSL2+ enabled and some aren't. 

Dan13245

Hi,

I contacted you guys a while ago about this same issue, and they said that i cant get ADSL2. I dont know if thats becuase their is no free ports, or i need to upgrade my phone line. 

Thanks.

Support Team
Support Team

If you have been advised that ADSL2+ is not available, then this would not be due to ports, it would be because you are too far away from the exchange if you are connected to a sub exchange. 

The system will still show as available if there are no posts, it's the order when attempted which will advise on port availability.

Dan13245

I am only around 3KM away from the exchange, and the house i just moved from was just around the block. So i dont see how i cant get ADSl2. is it possible to get someone to come out and install an ADSL2 line. Becuase i am willing to pay an installation fee.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Dan,

There can be many reasons why ADSL may not be available at a particular address I.E. port availability, line quality, distance from the exchange. If it was due to port availability & you're awaiting for the exchange to get upgraded, you can check for planned upgrades via http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm . 

If you were advised there were no free ports, please refer to http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/What-is-our-ADSL-Held-order-process/ta-p/276...

You can check what's available at your address via http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability.do . 

You can also check when NBN will be available at your address via http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html

Additionally, we also have wireless broadband as an option if you still want to get online https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Dan13245

Hi,

I checked to see if any ADSL2 ports where available and it says that there are 745 ports available. So does this mean i can get ADSl 2 or do i have to get someone to come and install a new line?

Dan13245

Hi,

I checked to see if any ADSL2 ports where available and it says that there are 745 ports available. So does this mean i can get ADSl 2 or do i have to get someone to come and install a new line? 

P.S I live in Kingaroy,QLD,4610

MDF_Code KROY01

ESA_Code KROY

Thanks.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Dan13245,

What does it say is available through us?

You can check this via the third link I provided

If you would like us to check for you, please contact our Sales team on 1800 676 642

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Dan13245

Hi,

It says that i can only get ADSL Broadband. But it doesnt say wheather or not it is ADSL1 or ADSL2.

Thanks. 

Support Team
Support Team

No worries. 

Our sales team will be able to confirm that for.

Just give them a call on the number above & ask them to search your address.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now