CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
RH1
Level 1: Cadet

Re: No ADSL ports

I live in a normal modern suburb in Brisbane and I had Telstra ADSL2+ at the address until 2 years ago when I shot down the service to try Telstra mobile broadband instead. I now want to switch back to ADSL2+. When I "check availability" online I am told that the service "bundles may not be available in your area". However, if I type in the address of any other house on the street, I am told "Great News, you can get Telstra bundles via ADSL".

When I applied for ADSL, Telstra advised my that no ports are available for ADSL2+ or ADSL for at least 2 years! However, I have seen three of my close neighbours on the street move out in the past 6 months - including my immediate neighbour - and each of the new neighbours has received Telstra ADSL2+ without any delay at all on moving in. I have spoken to Telstra and suggested that there must be something wrong with their system and that perhaps the database is corrupted given that ADSL2+ is availablle to the rest of the street but not me. All Telstra say is that there is nothing they can do and that there are "no ports available". I get the impression that they have made a decision not to let any more houses onto the exchange and are not prepared to admit that. Come on Telstra - is that any way to treat your customers?  

Nikkers

Hello

i recently brought a house in Gidgegannup 6083, pervious owner had adsl. we called telstra to connect phone and internet to be advised WE COULDNT as once the previous owner canceled his service his PORT was given to someone else.

how can i get a PORT

do i register for the next available port

or can you advise how i can request more ports be available for this area as the supply and demand  doesnt weigh up.

need your help

Nikkers

Support Team
Support Team

HI Nikkers, 

Port assignement is based on a first in first served basis. There are a finite number of available ports at each exchange and when someone disconnects, this means that the port becomes available to the next person in the area who has ordered a service. You can check for planned upgrades via http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm 

If you were advised there were no free ports, please refer to http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/What-is-our-ADSL-Held-order-process/ta-p/276...

You can check what's available at your address via http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability.do . You can check when NBN will be available at your address via http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Frust-angry

We recently move to Ashfield 2131 Nsw , and being 4 weeks we tried almost all providers basically is no port available. All because telstra has no port.  We are full time working professional plus we are doing online universities and also we running home business over weekend , so internet is basic needs to keep our life moving! Now we stuck with vodafone mobile broadband dongle thing and many our day to day life , business , work study just in trouble.

Seeing as internet becoming or became neccessities like electricity ? Can i take legal action against telstra for my loss of business, unable to do online university study  and expensive mobile broadband? If i can prove my loss and also because of infrastructure not provided and unfair to me , can i claim all the loss from tekstra? 

Any legal advice or how to get adsl would be much appreciated.

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Frust-angry

We've never promised that any or all service types would be available to every home. That's simply not a reality. The fact is we have a set of services which are available where they are available. I apologise that you've relocated to an area where your preferred service type is not available. However it's great that Testra has invested in the area to provide a Mobile Broadband service, in lieu of your preferred connection type. 

As you have determined by speaking with each provider, the local exchange in your area is full. It is not possible at this point in time to provide you with an ADSL port.   

This may assist in updating you as to where to from here:-

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/What-is-our-ADSL-Held-order-process/ta-p/276...

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Royal08

In the 10th August 2015,I had made a decision to purchase Home Broadband Bundle for $89.00 a month,(This included the Modem, line rental - as i had to connect the telephone to the house,and with 200GB per month) I have seen your ads on TV and Billboards and everywhere, but when it comes down to it, you cant offer services for customers in Regional Australia -  I have been told that i need to sit and wait for a port to be open in the Exchange. I have been talked at repeatedly, with was last told that it was a wait of 12 months. Our family needs this internet connection. I can't keep using my phone as it costs to much to buy Data. I know that there are empty houses that are sitting with no one living in them. At least 100. In the end, with my last phonecall to TELSTRA, they told me that i would have to pay to keep the line connected, so that it can be connected to a Port and that in the long run, it would be best if i cancelled my order - i think this was a ploy to stop me ringing them everyday. You are selling something that you can't provide the services for....

I would like to have Home Broadband - At the cost of $89 a month without the hassle of a hundred phonecalls. Seeing as Gracemere is not out in the middle of nowhere, why can't you take the port from one of the 100 that have been sitting empty for months years, and allow me, a paying customer, to have home broadband. Don't you think that its a bit of a cop out having all these Bundles and ads, when you can't deliver them, and then the household has to pay for the phone connection that they aren't even using. I hate being given the runaround and it looks like Telstra has the monopoly on phones, ports, ADSL ets. Just not good at delivering.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Royal08, 

Sorry to hear of the frustrations with the internet request. 

Is NBN due in your area at all? 

In regards to getting ADSL connected, have you raised this as a complaint so that a Complaint case manager can be assigned to assist? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bryboy

We have had a terrible time with Telstra in regard to obtaining a port. We have been waiting for ages and have applied several times to no avail. The worst part is that awhile back a Telstra representative cold called my wife and actually confirmed that we definitely had a port. My wife queried this and said are you sure and the representative said yes definitely. My wife works with special needs children and downloads programs at her own cost when she is able to, bearing in mind we only have mobile broadband with Telstra. She explained this to the Telstra rep who said he was glad that he was able to help. So you can imagine her excitement at the possibilities now available to her. Everything was confirmed but you guessed it a week or so later we had a call/text saying that this service was unavailable. Telstra did apologise but since then we have applied again and another rep said he would make it his cause and check for a port every 48 hours for us. After a couple of weeks my wife tried to contact him but as yet we have not had a call back. I wouldn't mind we are not rural, we live 25 minutes away from Brisbane city and 10 minutes from Ipswich town centre. Shocking!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bryboy

While we would love to provide a preferred service to each Customer, no matter their location, it is just not possible to do so, 

Telstra provides a range of Products and Services, in an attempt to make one service or another available. Investment has been made to build infrastructure, in areas where other providers have not been able to do so.

I agree, your recent experience with us was very poor and I'm really sorry that this occurred. If you happen to have the interaction number for the conversation your wife had with this consultant, we can chase the promised callback up for you.

Regards   

Smokeandmirrors

For those waiting to get a connection from Telstra and have been told it will only be a matter of weeks until there is a port available from exchange, don't believe it, it is now 2 years and 2 months since I first applied only to be told like everyone else that there is no port available currently.  The girl I dealt with at Telstra left to have a baby - by the time I get a port the child will be graduating from high school and I will still be waiting.

Good luck to those waiting - don't hold your breath.  Not bad for 21st century technology.

AGENTV

Just been through this exact scenario. I'm paying $600-800 a month, $190 for the WIFI service (1-2 bars of 3G on a clear day), data allowance runs out less than halfway through the cycle (I work from home) - balance all from having to run the business through iPhone personal hotspot.

Wrote to the Ombudsman - got a call from Telstra explaining how they couldn't help.

Wrote to local MP - got a reply within an hour, and a call from Telstra Countywide that day.

Fast forward 2 months - a Telstra Business manager actually came to my home yesterday to put through an order for ADSL and cancel all my other accounts.

I got lucky. My local exchange was upgraded in December. I don't have a port yet but I'm 80% there and they promise me it will be in place by 27 January. Frankly if it isn't I have to move house at great expense, having only been here 14 months, because without being able to effectively run my business, I have been slowly getting further and further behind on bills, notably my mortgage which isn't small.

With hindsight, if I had known how bad connection was here, I would not have purchased this house.

Write to the Ombudsman, write to your local MP, find your local Telstra Countrywide office and go there. If they are not already planning to upgrade your exchange push hard for it.

Wishing you luck! Victoria

EaglesNest
Level 4: Private Eye

Hah telstra complaints... try this instead: https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Also I waited 5 years ... after that I got fed up with Telstra being a bunches of phonies and called my local federal politician ... had a new adsl2+ rim installed within 6 months.

Wyndhamboyz

Can anybody give me a solution for getting internet connectivity when all the service providers say "No Port Availability". Isn't it ridiculous that while residing in a well-developed community which is more than 7 years old you do not have a basic commodity of internet connection? What a crap? Why isn’t the process of augmenting network in place in Telstra?

We have near 8 people on same street waiting for an ADSL connection. Does not Telstra need extra revenue? From the above

Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out. I need internet connection

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wyndhamboyz,

Where a fixed connection is not available due to technological constraints I would recommend having a look into Mobile Broadband options. If you're interested you can also visit nbnco.com.au to check out the rollout plan for NBN in your area.

Cheers, Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

mo_man

Hi EaglesNest, I think I might be going through the same thing. I have a feeling I was grossly misinformed by a telstra rep and no ADSL2 ports will be available when the churn is complete, even though the customer rep said there was when I informed I wanted to churn from my current ISP to Telstra if there was ADSL2.

What exactly did you write to your MP to get it sorted out so fast?

If it turns out the rep was misinformed it would be quite annoying. Especially since (after further research after placing the order) it looks like the next DA, which is literally across the road, has more than enough free ADSL2 ports.

Thanks for any help Mo

Daniel1234

I have been having this exact issue for over a year now.

I would estimate that i have called telstra around 40 times in the past 6 months to find out if there were available ports in my area.

I also check online to see if ADSL is available in my area, with the answer always being no.

However, i checked last week and all of a sudden it told me ADSL was available! In my excitement, i called testra sales, had them confirm this THREE times (having explained the trouble i have had) to which they confirmed that YES i could get an ADSL connection.

I spent 45 minutes on the phone signing up, cancelled my foxtel (as they offerred 3 months free foxtel as part of the deal), bought a modem etc etc... only to get a call 3 days later giving me the same excuse i have been getting for the whole year. NO AVAILABLE PORTS

What an absolute joke.

I live less than 20 Kilometers from the Melbourne CBD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I accepted the fact that i couldn't get ADSL, and was okay with checking online to see if were available. But now it says it is available i have to go through a whole sign up process to then be told i can't get it??? Now i have to waste more of my time signing up to your products multiple times on the off chance i can get a connection.

SOLVE THIS ISSUE! PLEASE!

Daniel1234

What a great solution (more like revenue making scheme). Lets not provide the more affordable ADSL option to people because we don't want to spend money upgrading a terrible system, and instead lets make them pay for over priced mobile broadband where the data runs out in three days, then automatically add a $10 top up to it but only notify them 3 days later after its too late.
RoseDean
Level 2: Rookie

Re: No ADSL ports in Point Cook , Shocked By The Treatment Of Telstra Contact Centre staffs

Hi , 

we also moved our service from our previous house in Point Cook to anothe house in Point Cook , and we raised a request to move the service on the 18th of March. Checked in Telstra website, yes, 'ADSL2+ available for your  property and was confirmed by the move order agent that the service will be installed on the 1st of April. When the time comes, there was no installation , and the installation was then moved to 13th of April, ( another 2 weeks!!) . 

Then on the 13th of April, still no installation and then was told by Telstra after hours and hours on the phone to the contact center agents in Philippines, that Telstra will not be able to provide service to us , due to no ADSL port available , and no ETA can be given , when asked how long do we have to wait for the service!!  The agent mentioned, that there wiill be no ETA date , as they do not know and we asked if there is plan to upgrade the capacity , if there is no more ports, he mentioned, there is no plan. 

Thus , we escalated the complaints, and got a call from a Telstra case manager ,from Philippines contact centre,  called Martin , who was very rude , asking me if I understand 'what NBN is '? And told me , there is no way Telstra is going to spend 'millions of dollars' upgrading the network , just because people like me wants to have a broadband service!!! 

we keep calling again and again, and they finally install the phone , as I  had requested this for safety and emergency reason , as i sometimes have my kids at home alone ( tabove 15years old). And we have spent hundreds of dollars on mobile internet , as my kids need the internet to submit their homework, and we sometimes have to work from home, plus my husband runs his business from home.  Fast forward 7 weeks later from the move request made , the payments for the services have been taken by telstra, as we have mobile phones udner the same account, and in the account payment for the broadband is also part of the bill.. plus , the bill is being paid via direct automatic payment . Payment made, but no service and NO RESOLUTION!! NOT HAPPY... 

The last response we have , when we called the case manager yesterday in Phillippines, we were told he had not been able to call us with updates, as his wife was sick.. is this the way Telstra should behave in this situation??

Sorry , telstra , this is not good enough .. if you are not able to provide the service, understand this happen, but why is there no plan to upgrade your infrastructure, as this is considdered a basic infrastructure requirement for the community, and NBN is not coming to this area , in years... 

not happy !! 

Support Team
Support Team

Re: No ADSL ports in Point Cook , Shocked By The Treatment Of Telstra Contact Centre staffs

Hi RoseDean, my apologies with the poor experience with this relocation and the service received from the case manager assigned to your complaint. If you're relocating within the same exchange area in Point Cook then your current port should be retained for use at the new address, but if moving to an area covered by a different exchange then further tests are performed after the order is submitted to confirm port availability.

While we can't request or provide account information via posts on these forums, our Activations teams on 13 22 00 will be able to advise of the exchange code for the area you'd be connected to. You can use this code to search for any upcoming ADSL port expansion works in your exchange area via the reports at http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

The reports marked ‘Available ADSL Capacity – Exchanges’ and ‘Available ADSL Capacity – CAN’ let you know how many ports are available at the area in total and how many of those are currently unused. The reports ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – CAN’ and ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – Exchanges’ advise of any recently completed or upcoming work to provide more ports at the exchange or in street pillars. If there is scheduled work for an upcoming month I'd recommend placing an order towards the end of that month.

If your latest bill has included charges for the broadband service you're not able to use, the teams on the phone or via online chat at  http://tel.st/49kl can investigate and assist further.

Anthony3584

After reading the above comment by Rose Dean, I can confirm this exact scenario has happened to myself and my family.

After recently buying our first home and moving to Lake Boga, we have discovered there are no available ports for an ADSL connection. My family have lived here there whole life, the same as many other people we know. All have a proper working ADSL connection, including both my neighbors to either side of my residence. But after having no internet for 7 weeks, and countless calls to Telstra, I seem to be left with no options at all.

I have found from the above link no scheduled upgrades or ports seem to be on the list. So what am I to do? Does Telstra expect people like ourselves to be left in the dark for 3 years until they deliver NBN? I at least deserve some answers to these questions rather than the company telling me that ADSL 'should' be available in my area, and later telling me the service cannot be provided.

After being a Telstra customer all my life, and a Telstra business customer, this is definitely not good enough.
Support Team
Support Team

HI Anthony, the initial service availability tests at https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband and when an order is placed advise whether the exchange area supports ADSL and further tests are performed by our technicians to confirm if spare ports are available and whether the cabling distance from the exchange to the premises will support a stable broadband connection. New ports may only become available if a current subscriber cancels or moves their service to a new exchange area, or if there is expansion work in the area to provide additional ports. As advised earlier in this thread, our Activations teams on 13 22 00 can look into your last order to confirm the exchange code for your area and you can use this to search for any upcoming ADSL port expansion works in your exchange area via the reports at http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

The reports marked ‘Available ADSL Capacity – Exchanges’ and ‘Available ADSL Capacity – CAN’ let you know how many ports are available at the area in total and how many of those are currently unused. The reports ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – CAN’ and ‘Planned ADSL Capacity Increases – Exchanges’ advise of any recently completed or upcoming work to provide more ports at the exchange or in street pillars. If there is scheduled work for an upcoming month I'd recommend placing an order towards the end of that month.

Anthony3584

Hi Greg, as the initial service test confirms ADSL in my area 'may be available', it may pay to rein form customers that it is in fact not available because this proves to still be misleading.

As for the wholesale website that I checked prior to this, it shows that my area of Lake Boga under 'Available ADSL Capacity - Exchanges' is zero in all four collums. Following further investigation, 'Available ADSL Capacity - CAN', 'Planned ADSL Capacity Increases - CAN' and 'Planned ADSL Capacity Increases - Exchanges' all do not list my area of Lake Boga at all.

So it looks to me I am stuck with no basic internet service for an unknown amount of time. Ridiculous for a company the size of Telstra to say the least. I have been a customer my whole life and it seems they have no regard for people in this circumstance like myself, to even be able to give me an answer for when they will be able to provide myself and my family with a service
ecco

It is shocking Telstra's service:

I have one business line without ADSL and one residential line with Telstra ADSL for 7 years in SOUTH HEDLAND, when I move to nearby surburb Wedgefield, I was told it is in the same exchange, I got the business line moved easily , but they told me there is no ADSL port available, if I want to find out when or might have one, I need to place an order. I then called the residential move team, I want to move my phone line and ADSL bundle to new address, they said it will be done in 5 days. But after 5 days, the phone line moved (at a cost of $125.) After that, They advised me there is no ADSL port, What ?!!, No port, why they did not tell me in the beginning, they said I can have the phone and ADSL moved in the same time. What an idiots! If there is no internet, I don't even move.............

Wait, in 14/05/2015's post, Telstra team said you don't need to go to exchange can check the port availability online. So, I was mislead in the second move, if they said I have service, I should have it, and it is in the same exchange!!!

Who can show me the right way??????????????

It is pointless to argue with them!

In my last case, it took me 3 months to recover $3000 cost .

Please help!!!

nf8891

Hi, I recently moved from the Gold Coast to Sydney, and relocated my internet service, and upgraded the bundle at the same time, waited weeks for the tech to come around and was then, many phone calls later told that all the ports are either used or not working.

Based on the reports referred to above, the local exchange was upgraded fairly recently, and there are no further upgrades planned. But what about repairing the ones that arent apparently working?

In the mean time what are my options? Cable no, foxtel in the building is supplied via satellite. Nbn is more than 2 years away AT BEST. That leaves mobile broadband, which costs a bomb unless you're ridiculously frugal with it.
To the guys credit, the guy I spoke to was incredibly helpful and cancelled the existing contract for free and helped out with some extra mobile data, however a total of 21gb nowadays isnt going to go far.
I could follow previous posters leads and just sign up week after week until I can get a port but that doesn't seem to have helped many others. So here I am stuck with a mere 20 odd gb a month and no other options.

Please help
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi nf8891,

One of the possible reasons for not getting ADSL is what we call a Port Shortage. If you reside in one of these area’s then you may get lucky or may have to wait a long time before getting connected. For exchange information such as how many ports there are or news on any possible upgrades, please see the following link:

http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

This is our held order process for order waiting for a port.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/What-is-our-ADSL-Held-order-process/ta-p/276...

Benny87

Im in the same boat as you, only when i said that the mobile broadband was  almost to expensive to comprehend they gave no other alternative or offer to increase my limit, i currently have a prepaid service for mobile broadband which cost's me $50 for every 5gb!! its outragous im i have really lost faith in the general infrastruture of this country. With so many things these days being relient on having a connection to the interent and all im offered is the 5gb for $50. makes sick.

andybh2880

Or is it that Telstra refuses to upgrade because NBN coming and putting the middle finger up at us the consumer as they think its not in thier best interest to invest in the upgrades. After speaking to NBN Co and various other ISP I have been unofficially told this. So Telstra my notice to you is as soon as my Mobile Devices become out of contract I will be putting my middle finger up at you!

Freddie4

Isn/'t it great to read through these posts and realise how deep in trouble you are. I am in the same boat - No ports available. It will take 0 - 3 months. When asked what happens when the three months is over and there are still no ports available, no answer. So here I am waiting for my ADSL connection, buying data packs for a mobile phone to try and get through life. NBN is a long way away.

My thought is that as this has been an ongoing process for many years, why isn't anything done about it? Oh yes, we will not spend money if the NBN is on its way.

Reading through these posts I now realise in how much trouble I am. Have only been waiting for a month. Long way to go I guess. Thanks TELSTRA for connecting Australia.

Spoiler

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now