Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

No adsl ports available in lyndhurst.

Answered
Hi there, I have been waiting for almost 6 months now waiting to get connected to broadband. I have tried telstra and other providers as well. But they say no ports available. And there is no waiting list, to notify for availability of any available port. NBN is atleast 3 yrs away. My options is wireless internet. I am moderate to heavy user. In this day and age where we have to do everything on the internet, I can't get broadband internet. It's not fair telestra
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: No adsl ports available in lyndhurst.

At 5km line length it's unlikely that you'll get an ADSL service, though it costs nothing to try every now and then.

I guess you'll have to look into a wireless service that will be able to meet your needs (though it may be expensive).
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32

And I am talking about Adsl and not adsl2+

I assume you are behind a RIM that has no free ports available, as the current Telstra Wholesale reports show some availability of ADSL ports in Lyndhurst (both NSW & VIC).

Up until very recently I had no access to fixed broadband, so I understand how frustrating it can be.

Unfortunately, there can be many reasons why there a no ports available when it comes to a particular residence.

All you can really do is continue to play 'port lotto' by regularly re-applying for a fixed service, and learn to live with the restrictions involved in having a wireless-based access method.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

The funny thing is when I check my neighbours house address on telstra website, they can get adsl and not me. Out of 20 homes on our street few can get adsl and some like me can't.

It could be the way their line is routed to an exchange/RIM.

I used to live in an area where one side of the street was different to the other, so it's certainly possible.

Also, I want to ensure that it's definitely no ports available. At my last house this was the answer I was given by a coupe of providers. I found out it was actually excessive transmission loss because of the distance to the exchange.

Can you please check with your phone number at https://www.pacific.net.au/servicequal/ and post the results back. When you do this though, please ensure you XXXX out your phone number, for privacy reasons.

mjmcosico

Just pray one of your neighbors will disconnect their line so that you can get it after. Feeling is mutual since I don't have ADSL at home and just relying on crappy 2G and sometimes 3G connection wirelessly.

Here are the results

Qualification results...

AAPT
Exchange code:
Exchange service area:
Distance to exchange: 5000
DSL codes on line: false
Type Method Speed SQ Reference Result Outcomes
SSS AAPT ADSL2+ Up to 24Mbps/1Mbps (Annex A) 16939820 FAIL
Was service qualified by Telstra successfully? FAIL

Thanks 3975.

Was there anything below the AAPT results section?  Normally there are two sections, AAPT and Telstra.

That being said, a distance/line of 5km is at the outer limits for DSL connections, so it may be that even if there was a port available to you, your line wouldn't support the service anyway.

Thanks Kalak

I copied the whole thing. So, you mean to say I can't get Adsl connection at all? What are my options
Accepted Solution

At 5km line length it's unlikely that you'll get an ADSL service, though it costs nothing to try every now and then.

I guess you'll have to look into a wireless service that will be able to meet your needs (though it may be expensive).

But how come my next door neighbours have adsl ? NBN is 3 yrs away. Looks like I am living in a developing country.
dotheycare
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi 3975. Which state? I have same issue and have received no help or indication that anyone knows what is going on; however, I have my suspicions. It would be interesting to know the population density where you are and whether you are urban residential or rural residential.

Hi dotheycare, I am in Victoria. Our area is urban residential. NBN is around 5 k away. I am not but utterly disappointed.
dotheycare

Hi again. The common thread is NBN. I live in a rural residential area. In 2010 I had ADSL at the house I now live in. I moved away and have returned but have to wait 6-9 months for ADSL! Crazy given we are in 2014. Back in 2010 there was no NBN but work has now commenced but not in same part of town as me. Still 2-3 years away based on NBN Co. Propaganda. With the onset of NBN Telstra has entered into agreements that see the end result being a reduction in service supply to the consumer / customer. Telstra is happy to tout wireless as this brings them extraordinary revenue and nil terrestrial work means a captive customer base for wireless. This all of course means one thing....that is the way it is and there is nothing we can do about it. The reason for not getting ADSL is not technical. It is purely commercial.
dotheycare

Did you also know that if your residence is serviced by ADSL Telstra is obliged to connect you to NBN when it becomes the only service available. If you are not connected to ADSL prior to this then they are not obliged. This translates to cost difference. BIG cost difference for average Joe out there (you and I). In 2011 the cost for a new residence to connect to NBN was $1600.00. My recent contract for ADSL indicated a cost of $621.00 to move to NBN when it arrives. Noting that I do not currently have ADSL rather I am awaiting connection.

Well I can forget about the NBN, it's couple of yrs away. I don't understand how they choose the area for NBN. The started with clyde and Cranbourne and then went to keysborough. Knowing very well the issues of internet in the area. We don't even have adsl2+. There are new townhouse's coming up near my home, I don't know what will they do? The best thing we can do is to wait and wait.
dotheycare

Well, get ready for those town houses to get it before you because developments usually come with utility infrastructure paid for by the developer. If you can, read today's financial review. Cover story is about NBN and it's lack of success with the article also indicating costs. It also outlines how telstra mobile broadband is only option for a customer. Similar trend as rest of country. This country loves Royal Commissions.....maybe we need one into national telecommunications infrastructure and delivery. At the very least consumers should be able to easily submit complaints so that those who make decisions feel the hurt and frustration. Until that happens nothing will change I'm afraid.....
dotheycare

I should jazz up a website like that bloke who made the vodafail website. A name for it though...... Telstruggle?

Who's responsibility or fault it is, if I and others can't get a decent internet connection. Clearly it is some ones fault.
dotheycare

I agree. But who is going to put their hand up for that one? Is it the person who runs the service delivery company (eg. Telstra) or the person who is responsible for governing the performance of the company and ensuring a socially acceptable / reasonable level of performance is achieved and maintained? What is that level? Let's not go there...... There will be no agreement and it will be tied up in semantics and academic vitriol / diatribe. That is the way of today.
In my mind it is simple. In an age where so much is done or is reliant on computing and the Internet customers should be afforded the right to access various forms of utility so as to meet their individual needs. Be they financial, social, educational, health, safety or business etc. Furthermore, it is 2014 and to expect people to believe that the opposite should be true is both insulting and unjust.
Not aimed at you of course...... :-)
dotheycare

Some stats from 2012:
Australia was ranked 42 out of 169 globally for fixed broadband affordability
Australia was ranked 7 out of 35 regional countries for affordability.
Australia was ranked 156 out of 169 for monthly price average (1 being cheapest and 169 being most expensive).

Mate, don't get me started on stats. It's annoying but that's the way it is. You can just hope common sense prevails.
dotheycare

Agreed..... Good luck with your connection.....

dotheycare

So, I have some news for everyone. It comes with the caveat that my situation may be differnet to everyone esle therefore resutls may vary but:

I have successfully managed to negotiate for my landline account to be placed on hold until such time that an ADSL port becomes available. I am able to place landline on hold because I use a mobile phone and also have a data allocation. This may not be the same for everyone else.

The end result is good though. I save $90 per month and this has the potential to save me $630 over 7 months (assuming that Telstra takes the full 9 months to connect me to ADSL - noting from time of original application I was told I had to wait 6-9 months and that was two months ago)

It took me 45 mins on the phone to come to this arrangement after calling 132200 and eventually getting to the Landline 'Department' or those that manage Landline accounts.

You too could save money by doing the same thing and with a potential number of people waiting for ADSL being in the order of thousands this may trigger something by Telstra...who knows. We can only try..... I encourage all those waiting to do that which I have done and if you know someone who is waiting then let them know too....spread the word.....please.....

dotheycare

As an individual it may not hurt the income stream but as a collective there is potential it will trigger action. Particularly when the number of those waiting for a port are likely to be in the order of thousands......

At my exchange there are 19 households waiting (as at 17 Apr 14). There are approx 2940 ADSL capable exchnages. Assuming queue length in fernvale QLD matches that of other areas that have ADSL exchanges I could then do the fol:

19 x 2940 = 55860. Therefore I could be ambitious and say that if all 55860 had ability to place landline on hold (has mobile phone) and they all had same cost as I then total collective saving could be $5,027,400.00!!! Per Month!!!!! Times that by 12 and you get a potential total collective saving of $60,328,800.00 annually.

That saving by consumers equals loss of revenue by Telstra.....

Amaa88

I have made various complaints regarding this and apparently it's outside everyone's jurisdiction, council, TIO, ACCC, Victoria ombudsman, department of communications and have been told it falls under a federal not state issue so all complaints need to be taken to Malcolm Turnbull so I suggest we flood his office with complaints until it gets fixed. After reading his campaign on adsl it was mentioned that areas without service will be listed as a priority when adsl is listed as an essential service in line with legislation.
I'll be setting up a petition as well to send to his office so check back soon

There is nothing that Malcolm Turnbull can do. It's a commercial decision made by private businesses.

Amaa88 I did write to Malcolm turnbull and after 2-3 months I got a reply from director communications. Basically telling to be on waiting list of Telstra and check for availability of NBN. I think it's unsatisfactory reply. NBN is few yrs away in lyndhurst and very slim chance of a port being free, I don't think so we will be getting adsl anytime soon. There are few townhouse's coming up in lyndhurst, don't know what will they do and how builders are selling them.
sungphung
Level 1: Cadet

To be honest, this is kinda ridiculous. I'm also residing in lyndhurst and have moved in for almost a year now, after moving from dandenong. i find it frustrating that telstra tells me " theres no port avaliable" and that " we cannot do anything about it", and the extremely off putting thing about this is that another neighbour of mine, literally two houses down  who moved in last month from my place has a fixed internet connection, and it happens that we are both running off the same DSLAM, now stuck on wireless 4G and paying $80 for a measely 20GB, which is used my my other siblings who are also completing their VCE.

Boysari

Hi 3975, I am having the same issue as you have. I moved to Lyndhurst ( just out side of Marrio Water boundary) for over 6months. I tried with different company to get an adsl. They all came back with no port is available and the time frame is up to 2- a year... i am very frustrated it too. Have you got your internet?

Boysari, no I haven't and I have given up on it. Telstra tells you all sorts of lies. I was told to keep landline phone with them and I will be placed in a queue for any port which becomes available. I was given a case manager who was to look after me. Case manager hasn't contacted me ever in 1 yr wait and know I was told by one of the managers that their is no waiting list and keeping landline won't help. And I don't think NBN will come to lyndhurst any time soon. I think no one really cares!!

They never used to allow waiting for a port to become available, however I believe that they do allow this now - which is why you may have been given mixed information.

At the start of the year I moved from the middle of the Gold Coast, where I couldn't get any form of ADSL because I was too far from the exchange, to regional QLD. Here the exchange is at the end of the street and I get 20Mbps.

cozzi

Re: No adsl ports available in Eagle Vale.

hi Can anyone advise me on how i can get internet. Telstra keep telling me that there are no available ports. my two neighbours on either side of my house bothe have telstra broadband but i cant get nothing. Iv been told this for over a year. i spoke to a telstra sales rep 2 weeks ago and he told me i could get it..only to be let down 2 days later with the same old story NO PORT AVAILABLE. What can i do as wireless is way to expensive. my business is really struggling.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now