CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Weng1000
Level 2: Rookie

No free port for Cable Internet Connection

Answered

After experiencing the slow ADSL connection, I was trying to apply Telstra cable connection.  I went out to check my neighbours' situation.  I found that there is a Internet cable line on the pole (not underground) through the street, and some of houses are connected.  I also check the availability of cable in my street from Telstra website, and found the number 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 (same side) are cable connected.  My home is within a 10-townhouse community.  There is only one townhouse connecting a cable to the main cable on the street (I can see the cable box on its wall). However the Telstra/bigpond sales/teams told me that the cable connection for my home is not available because there is no free port for my street now.  They have to upgrade their hub, but can not guarantee when it can be done.  I sounds very strange because my area is near UNSW.  It is the area that many potential customers will use high speed internet connection.  How come the Telstra's infrastructure is so bad in this area?  Can anyone tell me if Optus can offer cable in this area or I just simply wait for Telstra? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: No free port for Cable Internet Connection

It is likely when the cable was originally rolled out the block that you are living on was a single home on a large block or a couple of individual blocks. This means that sufficient taps were not put on the infrastructure to allow connections to as many homes as are now on that block.

In these cases a Commercial Quote will need to be raised to assess the cost of upgrading the infrastructure, back-boning (cabling) the townhouses (if-applicable) and allowing all residents to connect. The cost of this upgrade will usually be offered to the body corporate to decide if the upgrade will go ahead.

To start this process you will need to request the quote be undertaken with our sales team on 13 22 00, I would suggest you have the body corporate details handy when you do this as they will be required.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

It is likely when the cable was originally rolled out the block that you are living on was a single home on a large block or a couple of individual blocks. This means that sufficient taps were not put on the infrastructure to allow connections to as many homes as are now on that block.

In these cases a Commercial Quote will need to be raised to assess the cost of upgrading the infrastructure, back-boning (cabling) the townhouses (if-applicable) and allowing all residents to connect. The cost of this upgrade will usually be offered to the body corporate to decide if the upgrade will go ahead.

To start this process you will need to request the quote be undertaken with our sales team on 13 22 00, I would suggest you have the body corporate details handy when you do this as they will be required.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Weng1000
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'll discuss this issue with other owners and make an agreement.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now