CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Kool
Level 2: Rookie

No internet access after installing new HDD

Answered

Old HDD crashed so bought new SSD, installed windows 10 and can't get access to the internet. Have NBN - HFC connection and it works on old desktop but nothing on new one. What have I missed in set up?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Kool
Accepted Solution

Re: No internet access after installing new HDD

Yes all the network adaptors have a yellow exclamation mark next to them but how do I identify which type of equipment I have in my pc. Why did this happen this time, originally it works straight away?
Level 19: Deputy Director
Accepted Solution

Sorry Forensics Guru, thought the same as you and posted around the same time!
It did not seem to me either that the issue had been solved.
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Glad to hear that... If the disk was 2 years old, it still might be worth updating some drivers, but only if you feel like doing it. It can sometimes get overwhelming even for IT pros like me.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The first thing to check is that the correct Network adapters have been installed on the PC.
Right click on the Windows Symbol bottom left of Status Bar (Windows start)
Click on Device Manger and check that the Network adapters are installed and there is no yellow or red exclamation mark next to them.

Are you connecting by WiFi or Ethernet?
Kool
Accepted Solution

Yes all the network adaptors have a yellow exclamation mark next to them but how do I identify which type of equipment I have in my pc. Why did this happen this time, originally it works straight away?

Originally, your computer probably came with all the drivers pre-installed. You will need to find the recovery media, or download all the manufacturer specific drivers (not only for network devices). W10 is pretty good with generic and some OEMs, but not all... Depending on the age of the machine, you may struggle finding them.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Kool

What manufacturer do I go to for the drivers. I've got Gigabyte Z170xp motherboard, and GeForce GTX970 Windforce . I've done a search on the Hardware ID's , googled this and downloaded the file to search for my drivers and it comes back with not found! PC is 2 years old.

https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10#support-dl-driver-audio
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Your motherboard manufacturer's site should list the drivers.  

I bought a similar motherboard but had no problem because linux mint just worked!

If you right click on the Device Managers ? symbol, it may reveal something.  But this is just a hunch. 

However if you can download, burn and boot a linux DVD iso image - eg: Linux Mint, open a terminal and enter

dmesg|more  at the prompt 

it will list more than you ever wanted to know about the drivers and your computer!

Accepted Solution

Sorry Forensics Guru, thought the same as you and posted around the same time!
It did not seem to me either that the issue had been solved.
Kool

Thanks guys, talked to the shop that built the pc and they told me about a m/bd disk they had supplied. Found it and loaded now all OK.
Accepted Solution

Glad to hear that... If the disk was 2 years old, it still might be worth updating some drivers, but only if you feel like doing it. It can sometimes get overwhelming even for IT pros like me.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now