cbotto-au
Level 2: Rookie

Not receiving mobile phone calls to fixed line

Answered

Just signed up to new Telstra NBN bundle (fixed wireless). I am unable to receive calls from mobile phones. I can receive calls from fixed lines and make calls to fixed and mobile. (internet is fine)

I suspect its incompetent provisioning, but I just get people from overseas call centres reading from scripts, apologising a lot and doing "generic" fault finding. I have followed all instructions - power cycle NBN box and modem blah blah blah. Apparently the problem is with a fault in the provisioning that has failed - sure! No fix - just a reference number, apology and a "promise" to look into it! Seriously - Australia's biggest communications company can't successfully transfer me from their main competitor - Optus!

Sadly, I moved from Optus because of incompetence (they couldn't provide a voice mail service and caller ID after months and many calls). Here I go again!

CB
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Not receiving mobile phone calls to fixed line

That is a classic porting issue. It means that Optus hasn't correctly put in the redirect to the Number Portability Database, so when numbers outside Telstra try to dial you, they get stuck in Optus' system.

You need to give 1800 834 273 a call and ask them to get Optus to fix the porting of your number to Telstra.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
cbotto-au
Accepted Solution

Bingo! Thank you. Hours (literally) on calls and chats with Telstra and no sensible results. But what you have said nails it - all the mobiles we used to test were non-Telstra and landlines were Telstra. So we tested with a non-Telstra landline and Telstra mobile. You are right. Only Telstra phone services can call us. I have contacted Optus to tell them to correct their error (I moved from them only because of incompetent customer service, and the can't even transfer me properly!)

Thanks again!!

CB

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

That is a classic porting issue. It means that Optus hasn't correctly put in the redirect to the Number Portability Database, so when numbers outside Telstra try to dial you, they get stuck in Optus' system.

You need to give 1800 834 273 a call and ask them to get Optus to fix the porting of your number to Telstra.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
cbotto-au
Accepted Solution

Bingo! Thank you. Hours (literally) on calls and chats with Telstra and no sensible results. But what you have said nails it - all the mobiles we used to test were non-Telstra and landlines were Telstra. So we tested with a non-Telstra landline and Telstra mobile. You are right. Only Telstra phone services can call us. I have contacted Optus to tell them to correct their error (I moved from them only because of incompetent customer service, and the can't even transfer me properly!)

Thanks again!!

CB

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now