CrowdSupport®
king_ainsley
Level 1: Cadet

Now connected to NBN via FTTN - Still getting ADSL speeds

Answered

Hi guys,

I was advised on February 23rd that I am now connected to the NBN via FTTN but unfortunately since then I've not seen any increase with my upload or download speeds. I've made a couple of calls to Telstra support. The first I was advised they would be running some diagnostics for 24hrs or so before I would receive an update (I didn't). The second I received a vague response about congestion that they were working to resolve. Looking at my gateway settings my actual line rate downstream is 28000Kbps and 6400Kbps upstream with a maximum rate of 103544Kbps down and 6400Kbps up. When I run a speed test my results are 7.2Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up. Does anyone have any advice in this instance? Do I just need to keep pestering Telstra support?

Cheers,

Ainsley.

Gateway settings.JPGSpeed Test.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Now connected to NBN via FTTN - Still getting ADSL speeds

Yes you should get very close to 100 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up during non peak times. I have noticed the F@st5355 indicates the same maximum upload speed as the actual upload speed due to bug in its software so your actual maximum upload speed should be greater than 6.8 Mbps.

If you are paying $80 dollars or more for your bundle you should already be on the 50/20 speed tier (Standard Plus Evening Speed) and not the 25/5 speed tier ( Standard Evening Speed) which you are presently on.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Do you get the same results across multiple devices and are you testing over wifi or Ethernet?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Highlighted

Congestion usually only effects download speed. From your modem stats and the speed test the low speed test could be due to the device or if using WiFi the Wifi connection.

If using WiFi try changing the WiFi channel.  

king_ainsley
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your reply. My tests were performed over Ethernet on two separate PCs, however I ran a speed test via Ethernet on a laptop and got considerably better results. Looking into it further, the two PCs both have the application 'Killer Network Manager' which was bundled with the Motherboard/Ethernet controller that is in both machines. After updating the 'Internet Provide Speed' settings in this program I'm also getting far better results on the PCs!

Now that I'm noticing improved speeds I'm considering the option of purchasing a speed boost. If I do so is it at all realistic to expect anything close to the 'Maximum Line Rate' of 103,544Kbps that I is shown in my Gateway settings?

Thanks for your help!

Killer Network Manager settings.JPGNew Speed Test results.JPG

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Given your line stats, you "should" receive at least 60Mbps in peak times on the 100/40 plan (unless congestion hits in regularly, in which case you call 1800 834 273 and report it) and higher during Off Peak.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Accepted Solution

Yes you should get very close to 100 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up during non peak times. I have noticed the F@st5355 indicates the same maximum upload speed as the actual upload speed due to bug in its software so your actual maximum upload speed should be greater than 6.8 Mbps.

If you are paying $80 dollars or more for your bundle you should already be on the 50/20 speed tier (Standard Plus Evening Speed) and not the 25/5 speed tier ( Standard Evening Speed) which you are presently on.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now