sunmoonstar13
Level 1: Cadet

Office apps won't connect to the internet with NBN and VPN.

Answered

I was connected to the NBN last week. Since then, when I open Outlook 2016, it freezes when trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange. (I then have to use Task Manager to force close Outlook.) This only happens while connected to my VPN (ProtonVPN). If I'm not connected to my VPN, Outlook opens and connects to Microsoft Exchange without issue. If I open Outlook first, let it connect to Microsoft Exchange, and then connect to my VPN, Outlook continues to work fine after that.

Similarly, when connected to my VPN, OneNote 2016 cannot sync, but syncs fine when not connected to my VPN.

Basically, all of my Office 365 apps are unable to connect to the internet when I'm connected to my VPN.

I'm a home user with Windows 10 and Office 365. All the latest updates have been installed.

This issue has only arisen since being connected to the NBN with a new modem that was supplied by Telstra.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue so that my Office apps will connect to the internet while connected to my VPN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Office apps won't connect to the internet with NBN and VPN.

You could try changing the default gateway as per link below to 192.168.0.1

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/9ptqmq/anyone_else_have_problem_with_microsoft_office/

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

It's more likely the VPN causing the issue, not a Telstra issue.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

You could try turning of LAN IPv6 in the modem (Advanced > Local Network) and then disconnect and reconnect your device.

sunmoonstar13

I tried your suggestion but I'm afraid it didn't resolve the issue. Thanks anyway.

sunmoonstar13

If that's the case, is there a setting in the VPN software that I should change?

Accepted Solution

You could try changing the default gateway as per link below to 192.168.0.1

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/9ptqmq/anyone_else_have_problem_with_microsoft_office/

sunmoonstar13

This solution appears to have worked! Outlook now connects to Microsoft Exchange when I'm connected to ProtonVPN. Other Office apps also sync and connect to the internet when ProtonVPN is on.

Thank you very much!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now