goosmurf
Level 4: Private Eye

Outage in Epping, NSW?

[ cross posted from Whirlpool so apologies if you see this twice ]

Is anyone else in the Epping / Carlingford / Eastwood / Marsfield area experiencing 30% packet loss on first hop?

In practical terms it means painfully slow browsing.

I've logged a ticket and booked a technician appointment (nothing available until 21st Jan!) and part of the support process was downloading something from bigpond.com which went at 8kB/s.

Just wondering if the issue is local to me/my street or if there is a wider issue that the Bigpond tools have not picked up.

Relevant details I can think of:

• 30% loss to first hop (10.204.32.1)
  • If I turn the modem off & on, it takes literally 10 minutes for it to "scan" (that's what the Cisco EPC3925 says) and become "operational".
  • On the Cisco status page Downstream Channels 1-8 are all around Power 8-9 dBmv, SNR 40-42 dBmv. Only one Upstream channel is showing 32.0 dBmv, the other 3 are all 0 (which doesn't seem right?)

If any Bigpond techs want to poke into this further please reply or email me — happy to provide more details to help resolve this.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
216 REPLIES
Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Re: Outage in Epping, NSW?

Hey Goosmurf,

I've checked the national and NSW network report and i could not see any major issues reported for those suburbs. Not to say there may not be something up, but the current fault report and planned outages report are not showing up too much Smiley Sad

Might have to wait and see what the Tech says as it could very well be a localised or hardware issue. I might see if I can get someone to push an earlier appointment date for you though if you'd like?

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
goosmurf

Hey Josh,

Thanks for following up Smiley Happy

An earlier appointment would be really appreciated as I work from home so rely heavily on my cable access.

I'll PM you my details.

Thanks!

DX101
Level 2: Rookie

I too have also had problems with my Cable in Epping, NSW. We have never had a problem before but starting on wednesday we have been getting constant drop outs and our modem is not showing a connection to the internet present. Ever now and then we will get access for about 10-15 minutes then it drops out for another couple of hours.

I have also been told that the 21st of Jan is the earliest time for a technician to come out which I believe is completely unacceptable, especially since our household relies on the internet for business and study.

goosmurf

Hey DX101,

My cable is back to normal this morning - no packet loss & speedy.  Is yours ok now?

I'll give it a few more days before cancelling the appointment in case the problem recurs though.

DX101

It was up for maybe half an hour or so and now it is out again. It goes on and off all day it seems.
edmondo82

Just to add that I have also experienced the same issues as the OP (I'm in Marsfield), so I think we can safely rule out hardware or a problem localised to a single property.  It had been rock-solid stable at 30Mbps before Wednesday evening.

I'm at work a the moment so I cannot comment on the current state of connectivity, but during the last two evenings I have been suffering from packet loss resulting in webpages loading at a crawl, or requiring a refresh or two.

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey guys,

I've already started making enquiries today to get the issue looked into further, starting to sound like there may be a problem in the area for sure. Will keep you posted Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey guys,

The local Customer Service Manager for Sydney North is having a look into things with the local Network crew to see if something's up now. I'll be back with another update as more information comes though.

Josh | Tech Expert |

DX101

My net is out again and has been so for about an hour. Typing this from my phone. Phone support is denying that there is any problem at all and even had the nerve to tell me that my best solution was to buy a telstra wireless device. My faith in Telstra has never been sky high but at this point after all the frustration I am considering other carriers.

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey DX101,

In my earlier post I identified that there aren't any confirmed reported faults at the moment which have shown up on our network reports. Unfortunately that would be why the guys over the phone would not have been able to confirm any known issues at the moment.

I've got the local crew looking into it now though so hopefully we should have some news for you soon. In the mean time, so that our network guys can get as much info on who's being affected and what the problems are in the surrounding area, I could recommend to lodge a fault report with Bigpond Tech Support on 133 933. The network crews can use these incoming fault reports to assess the situation better and get a fix on it Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

DX101

Done that. Apperently they need to send a technician on the 21st which is the earliest time. Poor form ... very poor form. It seems like Telstra is content with their level of customer service (or lack there of) and tell people that their priority technicall issue doesn't warrant immediate support or at the bare minimum a 24hour turn around.

And for people like me who have had this problem now for 3 days... that is a very unacceptable answer.

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

I totally understand, it can be a bit hard when an emerging issue like this is still in the investigation stage.

Just to clarify with you though, the technical appointment will assess your individual premises for any fault that may be occuring due to faults on site. However, if we have just stumbled upon a wider scale issue, the fault may not necessarily be able to be resolved with an appointment. If something like an equipment or hardware failure in the network is generating these issues, the network teams which are investigating will need to work their magic on the infrastructure that may be struggling.

From a personal point of view, i've been here before. I've got cable at home up in brissy here and only a few months ago we had rolling issues for about a week and there was nothing a technical visit or any of my own troubleshooting could achieve because of what was going on behind the scenes. It was almost exactly what you have described, dropping in and out randomly (and constantly), slow speed when it was actually working, I found it frustrating as hell! however if it does turn into a network level issue like mine was, it's the waiting game for all of us Smiley Sad

Josh | Tech Expert |

DX101

My frustration is no longer at the situation but at the level of respect customer service is showing me a paying customer.

I know a technician may or may not be able to solve the issue but to have a technician scheduled for 11 days (which is apperently the earliest) after the initial fault was reported is beyond bad customer service. Especially since I have made it clear that my income relies on having an active connection and I have people living with me that need the net for study.

Also to be told that there was no issue with the service which is absolute bull and that there is no current outages, when clearly looking on whirlpool forums and these forums there is.

It just seems Telstra is covering their eyes. What they don't see isn't really there right?

I'm really at breaking point. I have never been treated with such disrespect from any company.

Of course that has no bearing on you JCKH. I appreciate your help. At least you have been helpful to the process.

I really do think that Telstra has lost touch with it's customers.

edmondo82

*Very* patchy here again this evening in Marsfield Smiley Sad

goosmurf

It was fine all day here (Epping) but this evening a bit of loss has appeared.

Packets               Pings
 Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. 10.204.32.1                       4.0%   200    7.8   8.4   6.0  24.5   2.4
 2. 58.160.15.4                       6.5%   200    8.6   9.0   6.6  32.4   2.9
 3. 58.160.15.238                     6.5%   200   12.5   9.6   6.9  21.8   2.6
 4. 172.18.239.38                     6.5%   200    8.0   9.3   6.6  25.1   2.9
 5. 172.18.117.33                     8.5%   200    8.0   8.8   6.9  20.9   2.1
 6. 172.18.117.44                     7.5%   200   13.1   9.4   6.6  27.3   2.8
 7. 172.18.239.9                      7.0%   200   12.2  11.9   8.0  30.8   3.0
 8. Bundle-Ether10.ken39.Sydney.tels  7.5%   200   10.2  12.0   8.1  27.9   2.9
 9. Bundle-Ether6.ken-core4.Sydney.t  8.0%   200   13.4  15.1   7.5  26.3   3.8
10. TenGigabitEthernet8-1.pit1.Sydne  9.5%   200    8.9  10.4   7.1 100.7   8.5
11. pitt-tcom-r01                    10.0%   200    7.7   9.3   6.9  28.5   2.7
12. 144.135.19.84                    11.0%   200    8.3   9.3   6.9  26.3   2.8
13. 144.135.18.32                     4.5%   200    9.2  22.4   7.1 102.8  24.7

edmondo82

Varies dramatically here, but currently >50% packet loss when pinging google.com.  Doesn't make for a fun surfing experience...

DX101

Lots of packet loss here again yesterday evening and this morning. I am tired of having no internet for 3+ hours and then when it does come on the packet loss is so huge it takes ages to load a single webpage.

Way to go Telstra. Simply denying you have a problem doesn't mean you don't.

DX101

Anyone else still experiencing issues this morning?

edmondo82

Yes, there is still significant packet loss here.

DX101

Yeah called Telstra again. It doesn't seem like they want to do anything to help their paying customers.

goosmurf

So I've had constant packet loss around 5% for all of today, spiking up to 50% this evening.  The connection dropped out completely (as in the Cisco's status went from "Operational" back to "Scanning") about 5 times between 9pm and midnight.  Very annoying Smiley Sad

edmondo82

Exactly the same experiences here.

DX101

Yep same here. I'm going to cancel my service with them. I refuse to pay for a service that doesn't work and customer service that won't help. Sad really especially considering my father in law who lives with us, works for Telstra.
apmdimka

hi Guys,

I live in Marsfield, just realised that my issue is same. Came back from vacation two days ago and connection have been playing up since that.

Here are my pings to google.com (which is located in Syd):

Ping statistics for 74.125.237.144:
Packets: Sent = 918, Received = 853, Lost = 65 (7% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 552ms, Average = 64ms
Control-C

Currently waiting to speak to the operator.

edmondo82

Could someone from Telstra please chase this up?  I am away in Melbourne until the end of the week, but I hope very much that this issue is resolved by the time I return to Sydney.  There is clearly a network issue which is affecting a number of people (we are likely to be a small subset!) that is not being picked up by the normal diagnostics tools.

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey guys,

I've just checked the Network report this morning and the issue has been logged and a fix is currently underway. Unfortunately I don't have access to the nitty gritty details of the actual case, I just get a general overview so I don't have an ETA for a fix, but I'm going to make a couple enquiries and see what I can find out.

In the mean time hold tight guys, the ball is definately rolling on this one! Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

edmondo82

Thanks for the update JCKH, much appreciated.  Fingers crossed for a speedy fix.

DX101

After speaking with one of the technical support agents for the 6th day in a row the fault is with one of the main nodes that services Epping, Carlingford and Alambie. ETA is apperently by 7pm tonight. Despite the fact according to the service page, the issue is already resolved. Awaiting an update.
edmondo82

*Touching wood* - all good this evening in Marsfield Smiley Happy

Ping statistics for 74.125.237.144: Packets: Sent = 429, Received = 429, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 245ms, Average = 13ms

goosmurf

Ditto -- I've been sampling the packet loss every 5 minutes and since about 4:30pm there's been no loss.  Fingers crossed it stays like that! Smiley Happy

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

They've closed off the fault case as well so it all looks good from here too Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

apmdimka

Is it just me or the issue is back?

The symptomps are 100% same.
goosmurf

I started to get packet loss around 3pm today, and then a dropout.  Modem was able to reconnect but packet loss was really high so I eventually rebooted the cable modem in the hope that might help things.  The (Cisco) modem hasn't been able to connect since -- stuck in "Scanning".

Called Bigpond tech support and diagnostics suggest there is something wrong with my modem.  The consultant said something about "two of your lines are green, but one is red", not sure what that means.  Booked technician for 4th Feb and she told me even if the service becomes operational again I should not cancel the tech because my modem is somehow faulty.

The timing is a little too coincidental though.

I also notice that Telstra Next G data performance atm is pretty woeful, makes me wonder if there is a general connectivity issue affecting the northern suburbs...

DX101

Yep I just got back home and ran some tests on my net because I was getting huge ping spikes on my remote server.

12-42% packet loss running a 50 ping test to google.

C'mon Telstra pick up your game!

Having just fixed the issue it is unacceptable to have it happen again so soon.

DX101

Seems to have stabalized. Although for how long?

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

How is it today guys?

Josh | Tech Expert |

goosmurf

The problem went away around 7pm last night.

Is it possible to find out what happened?

I'm dubious that there is a problem with my modem as diagnosed by tech support but without any other explanation I'm inclined to keep my technician appointment even though I suspect it will be a waste of time for all involved.  It's all around sad as both a customer & shareholder of Telstra. Smiley Indifferent

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

I think you're right there, given the situation surrounding the original fault i would highly doubt it's a modem issue too.

Just see how it pans out over the next few days until the tech appointment and just make sure to make a good note on time/date/impact if it does occur again as it will be good information for the tech to have. As well, if it does happen more often between now and then let me know and i'll send some requests out from my end here and see what I can work up with the Sydney crews Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

goosmurf

Problems again this morning.  It dropped out around 11:30am.

<timestamp> <packet loss %age>

2012-01-30 11:21:50 36

2012-01-30 11:27:07 90
2012-01-30 11:31:50 60
2012-01-30 11:36:45 54
2012-01-30 11:41:50 22
2012-01-30 11:46:46 16

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey guys,

I've just sent fired off a couple of emails to get some clarification about whats happening around the area there and get some sort of resolution. Keep making a note of any service disruptions in case we need to provide some specifics about the more recent issues. Will keep you guys in the loop as I hear back.

Cheers

Josh | Tech Expert |

apmdimka

Josh,

The problem is happening again now. 

Cheers,

goosmurf

Confirming the problem. 40-75% packet loss starting at ~1pm AEDT, completely unusable. Since 1:25pm it's dropped to about 25% which is still awful.
Lomax

North Ryde here.  My UBR is 10.204.96.1 and I'm currently seeing approx 8% packet loss.

Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey guys,

Good news! I've been contacted by a network engineer in the local area down there and i'm getting the ball rolling now to find out whats going on and what we need to do to fix it. More to come! Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |

goosmurf

Thanks for keeping an eye out for us Josh.  Fingers crossed Smiley Very Happy

DX101

Been at work all day but it is disappointing to see this issue has not yet fully been resolved. As one of the largest ISP's I would have expected a much quicker turn around.
Lomax

This morning at North Ryde I'm seeing 20% packet loss and some high (>900ms) pings.

Telstra Products & Services Team
Telstra Products & Services Team

There are large scale maintenance and upgrade events happening on cable during the past few months. Not sure if the packet loss is related. I will escalate now and post back in here what is going on...
Tech Bar Team
Tech Bar Team

Hey guys,

We got technicians out having a look at the Epping Hub right now and it looks like they've identified the issue. Shouldn't be too far off a fix now Smiley Very Happy

Cheers

Josh | Tech Expert |

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more