CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
SouthEMelbourne
Level 2: Rookie

Overhead lead-in cable disconnected

Hi,

I recently applied for the Essential $69 Cable plan (Broadband + Home phone) around the 6th September 2018. I have my home phone setup and running. However, I am yet to activate my cable internet.

I had received my Cable modem and Smart modem and yesterday (2 Oct 2018), I had a call from Telstra to activate my Cable internet. Unfortunately during the activation process it was discovered that the person who was activating was unable to connect to my Cable modem. I first thought it would work if I connected to the other Coaxial socket (I have two). Unfortunately, it did not. The Telstra representative advised me to book an appointment for a Telstra technician to visit my home and determine what was wrong. I asked for more time as I wanted to find out if there were any issues and if it was something I could resolve.

My first concern was that the sockets were not connected to the Telstra box outside my home. I verified that they were connected. Not able to determine the cause of the problem I booked an appointed for a Telstra technician to visit me. I was given an appointment for the 8th Oct 2018.

Still trying to figure out what was wrong, I visited my neighbours asking them if they had Foxtel or Telstra cable to determine if my Overhead Lead-in cable was different to theirs. I started getting suspicious as two of my neighbours who did not have Foxtel or Telstra cable had Overhead cables similar to my Overhead Lead-in cable and a neighbour who had an active Telstra cable connection had a different Overhead Lead-in cable compared to mine.

I rechecked the cable going into the Telstra box outside the house and discovered that the Overhead Lead-in cable had been cut and disconnected from the pole outside my house. In other words there was no Overhead Lead-in cable to my house. I remembered that many months or years ago we had a cable lying disconnected and we had called my electricity provider assuming that it was a live power cable.

I did not use Cable internet at that point of time and had no idea that it was the Overhead Lead-in cable.

I chatted with Telstra reps to

1. Cancel my Technician appointment as I was now aware of the reason my Cable internet wasn't working and
  2. Determine the process for reconnecting the Overhead Lead-in cable

Here are the issues I had

1. They were not willing to cancel the Technician's appointment for the 8th Oct. They contacted me by phone and transferred me to the activation team who advised me that it was good for the technician to visit and not to cancel the appointment. I disagreed as my primary reason in making the appointment was to determine the reason why I was unable to use my Cable internet. I had found the reason and I felt it was unreasonable to pay $240 to someone who was going to tell me what I already knew.
  2. Upon pressing further, I was told that they could not cancel but that I could inform the Telstra technician that I no longer needed the service when he visited me and that I would not be charged the $240. I found it suspicious and asked for a confirmation by email or SMS. He could not do that and placed me on hold. he eventually cancelled the appointment (though I have no way of confirming if it was actually cancelled).
  3. After the cancellation of the appointment, I was told that Telstra could no longer fix the disconnected Overhead lead-in cable as I had cancelled the Technician's appointment and that I had to find someone locally to fix it.

My question:

1. Is the information about me fixing the Overhead lead-in cable correct. I am happy to do it (get someone licensed to fix it) but after the last conversation I have had I feel highly suspicious for the following reasons.
    1. Isn't Telstra responsible to the Overhead lead-in cable and I am responsible for connection within my home (the house I am renting).
    2. What if I had discovered that the Overhead lead-in cable was disconnected before I had made the technician's appointment. Would Telstra have asked me to fix it.

Could someone please advise me on the course of action I need to take. I am happy to pay the costs or a portion of the costs if that is the right thing to do.

My order number is INT 1-1693470181701.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Overhead lead-in cable disconnected

It would need to be done by an NBNCo approved technician. As the HFC network is owned by NBNCo now. You will not be able to get it done by a third party. Telstra would need to book a new connection appointment, the professional installation would then look at getting it reconnected, but it would mean a tech coming out first to assess the connection requirements.

If the tech had come out they would have had the same issue, they would have assessed the requirements to be able to get the professional installation done and then been able to get it sorted.

if it is straightforward it should just be the professional installation fee, if it was more intricate work a cable commercial quote would generally be arranged to work out the exact costing.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

SouthEMelbourne
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks DrQ. I need to clarify that this is not a NBN connection as our area is still not NBN ready. Sorry marked as solved by mistake.

NBNCo own the line for both HFC and Copper pretty much nationally now. It has pretty much all been passed over. As far as I understand all of the HFC network has been.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now