CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Masud
Level 1: Cadet

P2P connection or evaporating my all gigs

Answered

Hi

I am facing a huge data loss issue at my side. I have been using Telstra for last 8 years and my usage has not been changed much. I don't download any but my two sons play some online games which I don't believe do not come more than 2 gigs per day. I have 200 gigs capacity however, this capacity has been finishing in 10 days now. I check all, I have been monitoring my 7 and 12 years old sons, I am sure that they don't make any downloads. I have two computers with Ethernet connection and three devices (Android, Iphone, Ipad) connected with WiFi. My sons play on ipad only. I have been changing my Password frequently and nonone knows except me. This issue just came in when I connected the NBN. I had the same capacity with ADSL2 and I never used more than 100 gigs data.

Would you please provide me solution how can I resolve the issue? I assume that it might be only from P2P connection. I need the following solutions:

1. How can I monitor the data usage on devices? If so I understand  the problems or who is using that devices. Any apps or software?

2. How can I stop P2P connections?

3. How can I stop such huge data usage - note that we never download any, only online games max 2 hours per day.

Thanks

Masud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: P2P connection or evaporating my all gigs

In this day and age nearly every application, operating system, and device relies on a data connection.

Some tips to manage your usage are:

• be aware of which applications sync in the background to "the cloud" - i.e. some sync when you are on Wi-Fi and charging an iPhone/Android/Windows Phone
  • close any applications which might consume a lot of traffic even after the intended download is complete
  • be aware of applications which "upload" a lot of content as this also counts towards your usage allowance
  • monitor your usage of bandwidth intensive activities such as online gaming, or download/streaming of content such as movies, tv shows and music
  • login to https://my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/ and keep an eye on when usage spikes occur to help find the culprit activitiy / application or user

Advanced tips are:

• install / actively manage firewall software that gives you control over your applications access to the internet
  • disable automatic updates in applications
  • install traffic monitoring software
  • try to portion your quota across the month

The modern home now has many many new/multiple devices with connectivity. Kinda explains why usage is roughly increasing 20% every 6 months according to the ABS.

Personally I'm of the view that if you exceed your usage once (or many times), its probably time to take the plunge and upgrade your plan to suit your needs https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/index.htm. It's often not until you become shaped that you realise how fast your connection is for those fortunate to be on Cable, close to the DSLAM (if on ADSL) or connected to the NBN.

Alternatively you could take a connected home hiatus for a year like this chap... but this isn't for everyone Smiley Happy

Regards

Gareth

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 22: Superhuman

G'day Masud, and welcome to crowdsupport.

My sympathies, but FWIW,  I know of a young chap whjo goes through his grandfathers 50GB in a weekend playing online games, and downloading.

Now that granfather has NBN I'll bet he goes through the 200GB he now has in less than a week!

I would suggest downloading an app from the google app store for data monitoring (just serach for "data monitor", there are dozens to choose from.

Similarly on the iPad iStore.

Stopping p2p connections is a tad more difficult, because most will use available ports.  I guess you could edit the gateway (assuming you have a Technicolor Gateway for instance) to block the use of Vuze, or Bittorrent.

Do you have Skype?  I know that skype is not SUPPOSED to use your capacity, but just check the skype services, also, any services from AKAMAI:

"If the software or media publisher uses the feature and if you enable it, NetSession can also use a small amount of your upload bandwidth to enable other users of the NetSession Interface to download pieces of the publisher's content from your computer. The NetSession Interface runs in the background and uses a negligible amount of your computer resources or upload bandwidth when you are not actively downloading content."

I'm beginning to wonder if it takes advantage of the large upload capacity of the NBN, and with gaming probably using this, I'm beginning to wonder about it.

http://www.akamai.com/html/solutions/client_faq.html

Let us know if this last makes a difference.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Level 21: Augmented

You could also try "Netlimiter" as an alternative to monitor your usage and see where it is coming from.

In regards to stopping peer to peer clients, just stop them from opening during startup in each programs options and make sure you close them once a download is finished.
Lathania

Accepted Solution

In this day and age nearly every application, operating system, and device relies on a data connection.

Some tips to manage your usage are:

• be aware of which applications sync in the background to "the cloud" - i.e. some sync when you are on Wi-Fi and charging an iPhone/Android/Windows Phone
  • close any applications which might consume a lot of traffic even after the intended download is complete
  • be aware of applications which "upload" a lot of content as this also counts towards your usage allowance
  • monitor your usage of bandwidth intensive activities such as online gaming, or download/streaming of content such as movies, tv shows and music
  • login to https://my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/ and keep an eye on when usage spikes occur to help find the culprit activitiy / application or user

Advanced tips are:

• install / actively manage firewall software that gives you control over your applications access to the internet
  • disable automatic updates in applications
  • install traffic monitoring software
  • try to portion your quota across the month

The modern home now has many many new/multiple devices with connectivity. Kinda explains why usage is roughly increasing 20% every 6 months according to the ABS.

Personally I'm of the view that if you exceed your usage once (or many times), its probably time to take the plunge and upgrade your plan to suit your needs https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/index.htm. It's often not until you become shaped that you realise how fast your connection is for those fortunate to be on Cable, close to the DSLAM (if on ADSL) or connected to the NBN.

Alternatively you could take a connected home hiatus for a year like this chap... but this isn't for everyone Smiley Happy

Regards

Gareth

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now