CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jknet
Level 1: Cadet

P2P torrents not allowed?

Evening all,

Quick question. It apprears to me that Telstra is no longer allowing P2P. This is based off the following details:

- I use/used qTorrent

- I was downloading via torrent application qTorrent ISO's from vuln hub to advance my Cyber Security skills..... (CTF's)

- After 1-5 mins of this my internet connetion drops, I am required to go in and "reconnect to the internet". 

- If I still have the torrents going I lose it again.

- If I close the app then reconnect my internet connection is stable.

Is this common for all now? If this is the case I will be leaving Telstra at once.... This is UNACCEPTABLE.... 

I originally joined telstra because of their F*@$ you approch to this.... as this apprears to no longer be the fact there is NO reason to continue with them as their prices are BS to put it nicely.....

I could not find an official statement on this new change. Anyone else lucky enough to find it?

Keith

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: P2P torrents not allowed?

I've never had any issues with P2P on both ADSL and FTTP.

What do you have to do specifically when you say you "reconnect to the internet"

What type of internet service do you have?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra don't block P2P connections. They do block some sites that are subject to court orders that provide lists of torrents that are considered to breach copyright laws.

I can even download via a P2P connection on my Telstra mobile.

It could just be a flaky connection to vulnhub that is causing it to drop out (or your own computer firewall having a hissyfit at the torrent stream - I used to have that one a few years back).  Have you considered trying a different Torrent application? I use utorrent (mu torrent) personally and find it very stable.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

@jknet

could it be your security software that killed the connection?

https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show_mobile?name=vulnhub.com

Nortons doesnt like it.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now