CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Peter187
Level 2: Rookie

PPP Authentication Failed or PPP Negotiation Failed

Answered

Hi All,

I have been unable to get ADSL2 working for some time since moving to my new house in May this year.

In my gateway (under Advanced Settings, under heading 'Internet Settings') it shows 'PPP Connecting' for a long period of time followed by 'Authentication failed'.

On the main page (Basic View) it shows that my Broadband service is working in back up mode. Alas, this has been shaped, so stuck without useable internet. I have put in the request to remove shaping but that will take a ridiculous 24-48 hours.

The phone line works - I can use it to make calls.

I have spent hours on the phone with Level 1 and Level 2 personnel troubleshooting:

• restarted modem; also, hard reset
  • reset password for the account
  • using my older modem - same issue. So it is not the smart modem.
  • turning off the back up 4G
  • Telstra has 'cleaned up the line /port' (whatever that means
  • No issues with my account - I have asked each person to verify this.

On my smart modem:

• Link light is solid green
  • Online light is purple

In my gateway (advanced settings):

• it shows the DSL as connected, under the Broadband heading
  • PPP authentication failed
  • In the 'Event Log' it shows, inter alia,
    • Command "AT+QGPAPN=3" failed after [x] ms"
    • The L3PPP main script is checking link connectivity and DHCP on l2type interface ADSL
    • (L3PPP) runs L3PPPMain.check(ADSL,timeout)
    • Interface 'wwan_6_4' is setting up now

They now will send a technician to visit my house.

There was a technician here last week - connecting the line which was physically not connected - so am surprised if there is still an issue here.

I am posting here in case anyone has experience with this specific kind of issue and whether I should be pointing the technicians in the right direction, or whether a technician visit is likely to solve it and I should have faith.

Grateful for any assistance.

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter187
Accepted Solution

Re: PPP Authentication Failed or PPP Negotiation Failed

OK.

I have figured it out.

They have linked my internet to a different account.

Although I raised this as a possibility with the various support people I was communicating with, all dismissed it as impossible.

When I moved house they created a new account temporarily (the same as my primary account but with a 2 suffix, which they said was temporary until I moved because they had to unbundle my internet for some reason.

Although we tried each of my email addresses - including the one above - after reading your email, i thought I would try them one more time and that one worked...

Peter

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Peter187

ADSL2, PPP Authentication failed

Hi All,

I have been unable to get ADSL2 working for some time since moving to my new house in May this year.

In my gateway (under Advanced Settings, under heading 'Internet Settings') it shows 'PPP Connecting' for a long period of time followed by 'Authentication failed'.

On the main page (Basic View) it shows that my Broadband service is working in back up mode. Alas, this has been shaped, so stuck without useable internet. I have put in the request to remove shaping but that will take a ridiculous 24-48 hours.

The phone line works - I can use it to make calls.

I have spent hours on the phone with Level 1 and Level 2 personnel troubleshooting:

• restarted modem; also, hard reset
  • reset password for the account
  • using my older modem - same issue. So it is not the smart modem.
  • turning off the back up 4G
  • Telstra has 'cleaned up the line /port' (whatever that means
  • No issues with my account - I have asked each person to verify this.

On my smart modem:

• Link light is solid green
  • Online light is purple

• it shows the DSL as connected, under the Broadband heading
  • PPP authentication failed
  • In the 'Event Log' it shows, inter alia,
    • Command "AT+QGPAPN=3" failed after [x] ms"
    • The L3PPP main script is checking link connectivity and DHCP on l2type interface ADSL
    • (L3PPP) runs L3PPPMain.check(ADSL,timeout)

They now will send a technician to visit my house.

There was a technician here last week - connecting the line which was physically not connected (which Telstra originally denied...) - so am surprised if there is still an issue here.

I am posting here in case anyone has experience with this specific kind of issue and whether I should be pointing the technicians in the right direction, or whether a technician visit is likely to solve it and I should have faith.

Grateful for any assistance.

Peter

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

This is my second attempt at answering this.. The post mysteriously disappeared when I tried to post an answer. Now I know why.
Have you checked the correct bigpond username and password is entered on the Basic > Broadband page?
Peter187

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I have checked this and it is the correct username and password.
I checked the username / password several times with the Level 1 and 2 Support (including checking they hadn't linked the internet to a different account for whatever reason) and we reset the password several times also...

Peter
Peter187
Accepted Solution

OK.

I have figured it out.

They have linked my internet to a different account.

Although I raised this as a possibility with the various support people I was communicating with, all dismissed it as impossible.

When I moved house they created a new account temporarily (the same as my primary account but with a 2 suffix, which they said was temporary until I moved because they had to unbundle my internet for some reason.

Although we tried each of my email addresses - including the one above - after reading your email, i thought I would try them one more time and that one worked...

Peter
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: ADSL2, PPP Authentication failed

If your service isnt connected up for adsl that could be the cause and the tech should be able to resolve that at the exchange.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

Re: ADSL2, PPP Authentication failed

Hm it seems to me that there is a problem with your username and password setup in the router. That is why authentication by PPP fails. Is the username and password on the router the same as your Telstra login username and password? It seems like you are connecting but not being accepted by authentication process.
On my smart modem:
Link light is solid green
Online light is purple

it shows the DSL as connected, under the Broadband heading
PPP authentication failed

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now