CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Pixtj
Level 2: Rookie

PPPoE User Name and Password

Answered

My question is:

Is there a new username and P/word for the NBN service and does it need to be entered into the Gateway Max 2 at all anywhere ?

Just connected to the NBN last week..... Using a new Gatway Max 2.

All was running fine till today (6 days later) and I dropped out ...

After waiting 2hrs for the service to return I called telstra and was told my service was fine, the problem was in the house ...

I was told to reset via the pin hole, after holding the pin in the hole for almost 5 min with the on/off light running through a cycle of green  -  flashing light yellow  -  back to green I was told I wasnt doing it right as it should have gone off compleatly.

We gave up on the reset and ended up looking at the wirering

A spliter had been used and I was going:

From the wall to the splitter

ADSL point on the splitter, to the DSL port on the Gateway Max 2

Local Phone point on the splitter, to the PSTN on the Gateway Max 2

During my conversation with Telstra help I was told to pull all that out and go direct from the wall point, to the DSL port on the Gateway Max 2

Ok after all that its still not working ... but Telstra says the service to the house if fine ..... That they give-up and will send me a replacement Gateway Max 2

I then notice on the Gateway Max 2 IP page, that keeps popping up telling me my service isnt working, that  there are a few suggestions to try .. for a fix

One is to re-enter the PPPoE Username and Password, the ones that are currently there are:

User name:  newdsluser@bigpond.com

Password:    ********

I dont know what the text is for the password ... these seem to be defults that come back after a reset ....

I have tried entering my old ADSL / Account User name and P/word but that isnt working ...

So where do I find the correct username and password to enter here .. ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
W201
Level 14: Field Agent
Accepted Solution

Re: PPPoE User Name and Password

No new username and password when you change over from ADSL to NBN.

Telstra ADSL requires username and password because it is PPoE

Telstra NBN does not requires username and password because it is IPoE

Splitter is not required for NBN because the line does not carry voice i.e. only DSL signal          

W201
Accepted Solution

Correct, one cable from the wall socket directly to the DSL port of Gateway Max 2. No splitter required.

Your analog phone would need to be connected to the greeen port at the back of the router.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
W201
Accepted Solution

No new username and password when you change over from ADSL to NBN.

Telstra ADSL requires username and password because it is PPoE

Telstra NBN does not requires username and password because it is IPoE

Splitter is not required for NBN because the line does not carry voice i.e. only DSL signal          

Pixtj
Level 2: Rookie

Darn ....

I was hoping it was the cause of the issue ....

So frustrating to have to wait for a replacement modem ... even though its just 1 week old and worked fine for 6 - 7 days.

All this after a professional install ! ! ! !

So the splitter/filer should not be used and the way I have done it now:

One cable from the wall going to the Gateway Max 2 into the DSL port is correct ?

W201
Accepted Solution

Correct, one cable from the wall socket directly to the DSL port of Gateway Max 2. No splitter required.

Your analog phone would need to be connected to the greeen port at the back of the router.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now