CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

PSTN landline disconnection after switch to NBN

Having dealt with IT & Comms for over 25 years, I was amazed and disgusted at how one of my clients was treated recently when switching from ADSL to NBN in our local rural region of central Victoria.

Firstly, my clients are elderly (in their 70's) so the requirement to keep their copper landline was an obvious choice when switching to NBN.  This was mentioned in negotiations, but, to our dismay, the landline was disconnected despite 1. the NBN connection not having been completed due to late delivery of new Modem/Router, and 2. our request to maintain the PSTN service.  After a few hours of discussion with multiple departments they finally agreed to reconnect the landline once the NBN connection had completed. We then called them back to let them know we were ready to reconnect, only to be told to pug the phone into the NBN Router.....Dumb!!   After another hour on the phone they finally understood and raised a complaint to action the reconnect quicker.

So, all looking better, or so I thought, until my client went to buy a std (non powered) phone so they could still make calls during blackout periods.  Well, all good until the girl serving them at the Telstra store cancelled the re-connection without consultation to me as she told my clients they only had to plug it in to the Router.  Very angry that this Telstra shop employee did this on the basis that she claimed they could not go back to the old PSTN service once they had migrated to NBN.  This was not her responsibility as the complaint should have been allowed to play out to levels much higher than her and should be resolved by Telstra regardless.

The NBN quite clearly states that Fixed Wireless and Skymuster clients should retain their PSTN services for cases of emergency and dependency upon disability services.

Is there anyone that can resolve these issues, and can Telstra please advise their Sales people to ask the question in the first place as the overseas call centre people do not understand the difference between the various NBN services?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: PSTN landline disconnection after switch to NBN

A Telstra Shop employee shouldn't be able to close out a complaint as they shouldn't have access to that part of the system.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

This made me very angry that she did this.  The store in question is not Telstra owned.  I also said this very thing to her and she ignored me completely.  Not happy Jan!

Highlighted

I think she cancelled the re-connection order, not the complaint itself.  Still upsetting just the same.

Ok. If you call 132200 and say "Disconnections" at the prompt (between 8am and 8pm), you will be put through to the Disconnections Team in Adelaide.

They should be able to assist in getting it resolved.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit