Highlighted
ebachour
Level 2: Rookie

Packet Loss on BP ultimate Cable - Bondi Junction NSW

Started about 1.5 weeks ago, games have large delays and high latency, and web-browsing is unresponsive, requiring having to reclick links etc.

Ruled out PC because its happening on all 3 of my PC's, even whilst others are off etc. 

Please help, really annoying.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Packet Loss on BP ultimate Cable - Bondi Junction NSW

Have you confirmed (via My Bigpond) that your account isn't shaped/slowed for either exceeding your download limit or having an overdue bill?

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ebachour

Yeah, I've checked all the usual stuff. It's definitely external, and packet loss.

I also want to check when you say all the usual things, you've ensured that the device(s) are connected via ethernet.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ebachour

Yeah all ethernet.

Are you able to post your connection stats from your modem?

ebachour

Here are my stats: http://i49.tinypic.com/vp7peo.jpg

Fyi I just noticed that it seems to only happen at night - the packetloss seems to subside in the day time. I don't know if network congestion is excacerbating the issue.

Possibly because those stats are all well within normal ranges, so it's probably not the physical connection itself.

Unfortuantely this looks like something you're going to have to esclate through Bigpond tech support as if your physical connection looks ok, you're using ethernet and you've confirmed it on a number of independant devices, it's probably not something we can further troubleshoot via Crowd Support.

ebachour

Thanks Kalak. There is definitely an issue at around 9:30pm - packet loss begins at around this time every day.

sydjosh
Level 1: Cadet

I also have been expereincing a large amount of packet loss and am in the same area, Bronte Beach (2024)..

Have had a tech come out and change the connection on the street pit, but the problem persists.

I have attached a screen shot of the modems connection figures and pings to googles DNS and the internal network at the same time.

Please help....cable.PNG

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

sydjosh: Assuming you have followed the advice above (Ethernet connection etc.) your best bet would be to report a fault directly to Telstra via 133 933.

If that doesn't work, you can try Telstra Complaints (http://www.telstra.com.au/complaints). If that doesn't work, you can contact the TIO at http://www.tio.com.au or via phone (1800 062 058) to escalate your issue.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

ebachour

There is clearly an issue with Cable in the eastern suburbs. Every time it is peak time, the internet slows to a halt with enormous packet loss. It is frustrating that no one will elevate this issue within telstra.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@ebachour wrote:

There is clearly an issue with Cable in the eastern suburbs. Every time it is peak time, the internet slows to a halt with enormous packet loss. It is frustrating that no one will elevate this issue within telstra.

Sometimes issues such as this have already been elevated and are being investigated, but its near impossible to provide a timeframe for resolution.

The best way to escalate the issue is to lodge a fault with Telstra, then Lodge a complaint (http://www.telstra.com.au/complaints ) and then, if none of that works, report the issue to the TIO (http://www.tio.com.au ) to see what information can be sought.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

sydjosh

Thank you for your advice Ben, I have submitted a complaint. #130304-032638

I also had another tech turn up at 9am this morning when they had scheduled in at 1-5pm? and at the time the net looked pretty good with only a few packets lost... now its back to 30%... had said he would escalate it to the people that manage the street side (level 2 tech?).

ebachour

This is getting ridiculous - I have phoned complaints several times and no one has been able to do anything. They keep saying it has escelated but won't provide any time frames. Ongoing for 3 weeks, I am beyond frustrated.

sydjosh

Getting a similar story... now they want to send a 3rd tech to my house when the second said the problem was not at the house.... seems like just the run around... Was terrible tonight about 30% again...

Dimitri32

EXACTLY the same problem for me. I live in Ashfield area (2131). Been about 3 weeks now.

Left it for 2 weeks before getting fed up and calling tech support. Have had 2 techs sent out. A level 1 and a level 2 (who also came at 7am when he was booked for 1-5pm). Both checked everything here and replaced TAP and modem even though they were in excellent condition and signals on modem were near perfect. Both said the problem is not on this end at all.

Haven't gone as far as complaints department yet to get a complaint number but I think I will tomorrow. Have had cable for around 9 months now and it's been amazingly good until 3 weeks or so ago. Now, everyday like clockwork, in the late afternoon/evening (any time between 4pm-7pm) the heavy packet loss will begin and makes Internet practically unusable. It's 20% Packet Loss+ when tests are run.

This continues all through the night as I have run PingTest's on http://www.pingtest.net/ at all hours of the night, up until around 6am. It doesn't go back to normal until about 9am the next day and will be absolutely flawless until late afternoon again.

It took about 30 minutes with the amount of refreshes I had to do, just to register and post this, and it's past midnight now.

Just need answers and a timeframe on a fix because as I said it has been flawless for around 8 months prior to this problem. 

Paying so much for unusable Internet really isn't cutting it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now