Highlighted
dhartley
Level 2: Rookie

Packet loss / timeouts / ping spikes every 1m45s

Answered

Hi all,

My bigpond cable service was activated today after I've had optus cable for the last few years, and while both latency and performance in general has improved, I'm getting regular timeouts and/or latency spikes.

I noticed it in a couple of different online games, and dropped back to a simple ping test...

Without fail, every 1m45s (give or take a second), the ping will either timeout or be very close to 2000ms.

I have tried everything troubleshooting-wise that I can think of, and tech support didn't have much to say other than to schedule a tech.

Has anyone had this issue before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dhartley
Accepted Solution

Re: Packet loss / timeouts / ping spikes every 1m45s

Hi all,

Much to my dismay, after having waded though a ton of posts on forums about lag spikes on the Telstra network, particularly with the CG3100D-2, I have discovered that my issue is the PLEX service running on my machine.

I never had an issue with this while I was using an Optus cable service, and can only assume that there's an issue between how Plex works (somehow) and my particular hardware.

Pretty unhappy that a brand new modem won't work with a media centre application - but nevertheless, disabling Plex has solved my issue.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
dhartley
Accepted Solution

Hi all,

Much to my dismay, after having waded though a ton of posts on forums about lag spikes on the Telstra network, particularly with the CG3100D-2, I have discovered that my issue is the PLEX service running on my machine.

I never had an issue with this while I was using an Optus cable service, and can only assume that there's an issue between how Plex works (somehow) and my particular hardware.

Pretty unhappy that a brand new modem won't work with a media centre application - but nevertheless, disabling Plex has solved my issue.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dhartley,

I am glad to hear that you have identified a resolution for your ping spokes and packet loss. 

I hadn't heard of this previously so I have passed this along to the appropriate team so that they can look into this further. I can't promise that this will be fixed immediately, but it will highlight it as an issue to be investigated.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now