PeterC007
Level 1: Cadet

Paying for a service I can't now get due to a move of house.

I am in the middle of moving to a new shared property and because the developer was unaware they needed to meet Telstra's registration criteria the service cannot me reconnected for up to 6 months. Telstra [in India and I know because I asked] have told me three times now that they believe I must keep paying $90 per month because I am on a 2 year contract but I can have a mobile data service that gives me 25GB data only for 30 days  and local phone calling only. A long way from 50mb/s and unlimited data and unlimited Australia calls. Anyone know what the real answer is? 

We are on the Central Coast in an NBN completed area. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Paying for a service I can't now get due to a move of house.

The consultant in India (not seeing why this is relevant) was trying to help as the data pack they offered is not for these types of situations.

Technically they are correct. It is a 2 year contract that was agreed to. Your best bet would be to raise a complaint https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p... and speak to a complaints manager (There's a good chance they will be located offshore as well) as they may be willing to let you out of the contract without early termination fee's
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
peterc008

That is an interesting response. The problem is not that I want to get out of the contract, I want Telstra to provide the service I am paying for. They are currently not in a position to provide the service because they rely on NBN to provide that.

To call complaints and discuss this yet again when I have not had a satisfactory answer before seems a complete waste of my time and energy. Have you any idea how long it takes to get through the red tape on one of these calls? I average 90 minutes every time. I know because I keep a spread sheet.

The relevance of the "Off Shore" is that Telstra has decided that the Customer is less important than the CEO's  and Senior executive's bonus. The easy way to get the profit up is to cut staff numbers so that on paper the costs are reduced and the income stays the same. And yes I used to get my share when I worked there. But I am from the old school that  feels to earn the bonus you need to provide the "Service". To my mind this is extortion. I don't believe that Telstra is entitled to take the money if it can't provide the service and as such should "Rest" the contract until it can. That, however, is not an option according to the contractor at the "help" desk.

So to review, I have a "Best Contract Ever" that I pay for and will continue to pay for however Telstra is unable to deliver service  that deliver to that contract. To get any service I have to pay more money to get an inferior service. Do you really think that this is a good commercial deal from my point of view? 

I would be happy if Telstra provided the inferior service at no extra cost to me until they can resolve the line issues but that is again not an option according to the "help desk". 

Peter J Cooper

If you didn't get a resolution from complaints, you can try contacting the office of the CEO
https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form

You will need your Complaint SR reference numbers
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
PeterC007

This is again too hard with people not reading what is written. I am not getting into the Complaint mode again. I am not going to bother with all the effort that takes. If I was to go down that route then the questions would come out as to why "Telstra" managed to give me 2 new email addresses even though I already had one for the last 18 years and why was Telstra unable to remove the 2 superflous ones. I use my original email to log into Telstra but I cannot have only 1 login on here. I have Peterc007 and Peterc008. Because it's "Too hard" I have to live with Telstra Technology shortcomings.
And you say make a complaint? What's the point. I spent 47.5 hours on the phone trying to get my extra emails removed last time and still it is not done. Maybe it's finally time to do away with all the frustration but I know going elsewhere will be just as challenging.

Personally, I fail to see why it is Telstra's shortcoming. You are in an NBN enabled area, therefore Telstra cannot install infrastructure to provide you with a landline service.

Your developer should have been aware of what the requirements were with getting the premises ready for the NBN (not a Telstra requirement as building in an NBN area) as part of the planning and building process and really shouldn't be in business given their lack of knowledge (also, if the provision of the availability for telecommunications services is in your contract, you should have recourse with them).

There are provisions where if you move to an area that Telstra cannot provide an equivalent service and you have an existing contract, then they can release you from having to maintain it. If you have got a complaint (with SR number) that has been closed out without a satisfactory solution, you can complain to the TIO ( at www.tio.com.au). If you haven't started the formal complaint process, then you need to do that, otherwise the TIO will probably end up directing you to do that before they will open a case.

I don't see why you need to have 2 logins here, I've only got one and I don't even have a Telstra supplied email address. And if they've created extra email addresses for you, the simple thing is not to use the ones you don't want. That part's really not hard.

And finally, it doesn't matter where the consultants are on the planet. I've dealt with telco consultants in Australia that are just as useless as the ones in the Phillipines or India. Sometimes you'll get a good one and sometimes you'll get absolute rubbish. There are very few telcos in Australia that have all of their frontline consultants in Australia, most have outsourced at least a portion of them.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
PeterC007

To Jupiter and anyone else believing that Telstra is right and I am wrong, then I accept that rebuke. After all I am an old man put out to pasture from Telstra and obviously don't understand the modern way.
I will however comment on Jupiters statement which says "There are provisions where if you move to an area that Telstra cannot provide an equivalent service and you have an existing contract, then they can release you from having to maintain it." Frankly that is the problem. I have been told that I need to maintain it and I simply questioned that on this forum as I was to understand that this forum have intelligent people that know everything.
I will no longer ask any questions of this forum. I thank you for taking the time to respond and even though I am not completely happy, I believe you have your own views and nothing will change.
I wish Telstra all the best and I will endeavour to ensure that I also have 3 escape routes in the future.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more