CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Sliverin2
Level 2: Rookie

Peak time slow conjestion

Answered

OK, so for the last few months my peak hour speeds drop to unusable speeds. I then go through the whole process with telstra support to see if they can help but all they ever ask is to turn off the modem and turn back on. Technicians have been to the house and found no faults, in the house or in the street. Can we get some extra bandwidth on the network at peak so the money I am spending for the internet is usable when I am at home?

Screenshot_20190623-164019_Home Dashboard.jpgScreenshot_20190623-164008_Home Dashboard.jpg

You can see by these results that I get my moneys worth before 4pm then it drops to below 1Mbps around 7:30pm to 9pm. 

I am on Cable an am using the Gen 1 smart modem  with a Netgear cable adaptor. Have tried many different devices but no go. Any advise would be great as I am sick of giving money for no service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
really-me
Level 6: Bloodhound
Accepted Solution

Re: Peak time slow conjestion

If you have been thru the support process, and have not  joy, I suggest you raise a complaint with Telstra, then take the complaint number and lodge it with the Office of the CEO on Telstra's site - google the specific address.

We had 6 months of similar 'service' and non-support from Telstra at our new house - in 24 hours the Office of the CEO resolved it.  In our case, we moved to ADSL, from NBN, - and all the family usability stress gone!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Silverin2

I can appreciate your frustration and disappointment at not being able to access your internet to its full potential. Are you connected to NBN? 

Run our trouble shooting tool to check your connection and see if it diagnoses an issue: https://tel.st/ry5r2

If you still have no luck with your connection, the best approach will be to raise this with our Technical support team for further investigation. You can contact them on 133933.

-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

really-me
Level 6: Bloodhound
Accepted Solution

If you have been thru the support process, and have not  joy, I suggest you raise a complaint with Telstra, then take the complaint number and lodge it with the Office of the CEO on Telstra's site - google the specific address.

We had 6 months of similar 'service' and non-support from Telstra at our new house - in 24 hours the Office of the CEO resolved it.  In our case, we moved to ADSL, from NBN, - and all the family usability stress gone!

Sliverin2

Thanks for the advise. I spoke to telstra 3 times now and they said they will raise to level two support, no response since. Their only answer is to reset modem, which does nothing. Even had one support guy blame my peak hour slowdown on my wifi devices, even when I told him I had 3 things on wifi at the time. Another tech advised its best to test via a wifi connection to router, not an Ethernet connection. I keep explaining that this happens only at peak times and they ring me at 11am on Sunday morning to see how my speeds are. I told them to ring back in evening but they never did. Terrible support, unreliable service and definentally not worth the money I pay. Unfortunately I am on cable, no other options at all. Not even nbn yet.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for that information @Sliverin2

How long ago was the level 2 escalation put in place? Were you provided with a reference number for the case?

I look forward to your response.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Sliverin2

Sorry, thought I'd give them more of a chance to call but lvl 2 was put in place Sunday night 23rd got a msg link and was give a ref# BB1-2093718814898 i think he said BB1, hard to understand him. Monitored it all week and its been shocking. At the moment its 9am and I am getting 21mps.
Really don't want to talk to support as they know nothing and fix nothing. It wastes 45min of my day repeating what has been done many times before. All they want to do is get me off the phone.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sliverin2,

Please contact our tech team on 133 933 and our team can look into that reference further and go from there.

Sliverin2

Well. Did ring tech team again. Even though talking to them is more useless than chatting to my pet cat. I reset the modem again as they said, rebooted the router and as it did not fix the issue, they put in a request to apparently provide me more data? not sure what he was talking about but he said the order will take a few days. Well, I went on holidays for a few days and have now come back and monitored it.. All I can say is it is nowhere near better. So to ask a simple question. Why must I call support if they obviously cannot fix their problem network. Is there anyone else to call but the overseas call centres? Someone who can actually fix the issues.

Screenshot_20190710-200911_Home Dashboard.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Sliverin2

Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing speed issues. 

If our Tech Support team is not able to resolve, they will need to escalate to Level 2 Support. Have you been able to contact them since your return? 

If you are finding that this is not being resolved for you after escalation, the next step would be to lodge your details here:  https://tel.st/awvb6 so that a Case Manager can assist further. 

colstron
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks - Speed variation as measured by you is not the issue. Much more consistent here.

Actually measuring it is not the concern either. When it is running at 24 mb's/sec user experience is not faster?

colstron

Looking for explanation at this time. Possibly a real world reason for this phenomenon. Have been told ADSL is no longer an option. It is bad when the help doesn't and needs to be coaxed.

Sliverin2

Just like the phone calls before to the numerous tech supports that do not listen, if you read a few posts up you will see -

"I spoke to telstra 3 times now and they said they will raise to level two support"

and a reply from a telstra  rep

"How long ago was the level 2 escalation put in place? Were you provided with a reference number for the case?"

Its a vicious cycle that does that seems to be ignored. My level 2 escalation never got back to us, I lodged a complaint and haven't heard a peep. My speeds are atrocious in the evening and not worth the money I pay. Tech support are useless unless they can fix the congestion issue and not blame my WiFi all the time. Showing the speed tests below is great if I do everything in the morning. But when I need the speed in the evening, its just not there.

Screenshot_20190713-090443_Home Dashboard.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sliverin2,

I'm sorry to hear about the continuing issues.

Were you provided with a Complaints SR Reference number?

If you were can you please provide it to me as I can use this to contact our Complaints Team and request a follow up.

Sliverin2

@DavoCB 

The case # SR 1-2118949813010 was given to me when I lodged the complaint. Would have replied last night but my internet was so slow, even my mobile games wouldn't load on my phone. Speed test bombed out trying to find server.Screenshot_20190710-194156_Home Dashboard (2).jpg

Support Team
Support Team

When you refer to replying last night did you receive a call from the case manager and did they supply you with their contact details?

Cwaeny

I have the same issue! It’s been nearly three weeks with poor internet speeds, numerous phone calls with no help I even contacted platinum support who said “I will be right with you” 12 times before disconnecting the chat. My reference number is #170953163. I’m about to change service providers but think hey the lines are owned by Telstra, so switching to another will have the same problems. 

Support Team
Support Team

Really sorry to hear, Cwaeny. What's your technology type? ADSL, NBN, Cable? Do you have an open complaint about this at all? If so, do you have the 'SR' reference number handy? I'd like to know this is being investigated. - Matthew. 

Sliverin2

I was trying to reply to @DavoCB on this forum but net was so slow I couldnt load the page. My wife got a call while she was in a class yesterday morning from Telstra and they sent here a TXT message with a PIN number. Tried to ring back last night but we were to late a nite so will try again this afternoon. Hard to answer calls when you work as a teacher.

Unlike @Cwaeny , I have been having this issue for months and there is no NBN, ADSL alternative for me. Cable is the only option unless I spend mega bucks on 4G or 5G broadband. And Telstra are the only provider I can go with, so would really like this fixed.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now