mdl999
Level 2: Rookie

Permanent Heavy Pixelation and loss of free to air channels for over 12 months with mostly no intern

I have had a bigpond - internet - Foxtel - home phone connection in Double Bay, Sydney for 18 months - and elsewhere, previously since it began. For the last 12 months the television has been intermittently unwatchable, the internet unavailable - again intermittently but the phone, thankfully on separate wires still, (though it had problems yesterday), OK.

I have called Telstra many times, the last after everything stopped (except phone) and after a couple of days of outage, everything worked well for 3 days. This non-service is costing me $210 a month plus a separate Telstra Data modem which effectively costs $70-80 a month.

There was already overload in this area and now with the SAME cable being used for NBN, the overload is almost constant.

I'm ready to go to the Ombudsman. 

SAME cable for NBN. It already fails with load. If I change to another provider, it will be the same cable via NBN.

Unwatchable Foxtel, Rarely available internet, >$2,500 down the drain!

PS I watch / use the internet at all hours, but I think the lucky people, timetable streaming at non-times. So the problem is peak - at peak - but can occur really at any and all times.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Permanent Heavy Pixelation and loss of free to air channels for over 12 months with mostly no...

Hi mdl999, 

What was the outcome of the tech investigation when you reported this to Telstra? Did they advise is was a congestion issue? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector

Re: Permanent Heavy Pixelation and loss of free to air channels for over 12 months with mostly no in

You should be ready to go to the ombudsman on day 1 it gives that extra bit of accountability which can make all the difference. Unfortunately, I don't think Foxtel falls within the role of the ombudsman so you are unikely to get that resolved but they might be able to help with the internet stuff.

mdl999

Re: Permanent Heavy Pixelation and loss of free to air channels for over 12 months with mostly no...

They don't know. All they can do is test the line - currently in India - seems to have moved from the Philippines. I have now also lost my copper wire land line, the internet is spasmodic - nearly always off or very weak, and the free-to-air channels from Foxtel are off-air and the other channels suffer from varying degrees of pixelation.  The Bigpond cable was already overloaded in this and adjoining areas, or damaged - my diagnosis. Adding all new nBN users and making the land lines VOIP over NBN - same cable, is a recipe for disaster. 

mdl999

Re: Permanent Heavy Pixelation and loss of free to air channels for over 12 months with mostly no in

Three weeks on, the landline was fixed very quickly BUT the cable derived Foxtel is slightly better but still failing on most of the channels at the free to air end and the internet is not functioning at all.

Is Telstra evil or hopeless? Or somewhere in between?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Have you had Foxtel or Telstra out to check the HFC signals? If NBN had already started migrating the HFC then they would have to escalate to NBN for this part of the network to be tested further. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mdl999

• over the last 2 days when the pixelation became unbearable (free to air end of Foxtel) and the internet remains totally dead, I complained again. A bit of temporary progress with Foxtel - but still imperfect and internet still dead. A Foxtel technician booked to visit. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now