hermC
Level 1: Cadet

Phone Line Service Quality

Hi, Telstra and TPG have turned down my application for ADSL1 and ADSL2 for my house due to high transmission loss. Broadband is also not available on my street. I did a line quality check for my phone number and for my neighbour’s phone number opposite my house: My Phone Number: Qualification results... Compatibility Check: passed Compatibility Result: B2B Service Number: 039xxxxxxx Product Compatibility: DSL-L2 DSL-L2 compatible with existing products SQ Check: passed SQ Result: B2B SQ: DSL-L2 Service Number: 039xxxxxxx SQ Response: Pass SQ Results Result: 256Kbps/64Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y002 , Product is supported. Result: 512Kbps/512Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y002 , Product is supported. Result: 512Kbps/128Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y002 , Product is supported. Result: 1.5Mbps/256Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y002 , Product is supported. Result: Open 1 (Zone 1) , Pass , Y002 , Product is supported. Result: Open 2 (Zone 1) , Pass , Y002 , Product is supported. Limiting Factors: 256Kbps/64Kbps (Zone 1),512Kbps/512Kbps (Zone 1),512Kbps/128Kbps (Zone 1),1.5Mbps/256Kbps (Zone 1),Open 1 (Zone 1) Beyond Limits: Transmission loss Limiting Factors: Open 2 (Zone 1) Beyond Limits: Transmission loss My Neighbour’s Phone Number (directly opposite my house): Qualification results... Compatibility Check: passed Compatibility Result: B2B Service Number: 039yyyyyyy Product Compatibility: DSL-L2 DSL-L2 compatible with existing products SQ Check: passed SQ Result: B2B SQ: DSL-L2 Service Number: 039yyyyyyy SQ Response: Pass SQ Results Result: 256Kbps/64Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: 512Kbps/512Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: 512Kbps/128Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: 1.5Mbps/256Kbps (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: Open 1 (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Result: OpeUn 2 (Zone 1) , Pass , Y001 , Product is supported. Why is the difference so great if distance to the exchange is the factor?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Rishwin
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Phone Line Service Quality

The difference is the cabling. Pre-WWII, copper cables were laid on one side of the road for telecommunications, however at the time nobody ever envisioned the internet or any other high-speed telecommunication.

Jump into the internet era and ISP's realized that the single copper cable would not be sufficient, so they started laying new cables on the oposite side of the road. Most of these were done by Optus or other carriers.

This is just a short recap, but essentially you are using the 80 year-old copper cables while the other side of your street is using the newer cables. Newer cables carry the signal stronger for longer, less noise and overal better performance. If you're a fair distance from the exchange this could well be the "deciding factor".

I'm not saying this is the reason, but it well could be.

---
My opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now