Dandan123
Level 2: Rookie

Ping rate

Answered
I have Telstra cable in Perth WA. In the past two months the ping rate to everywhere has been very high. The location I notice most is to Singapore where it usually sits around 60-70, nowadays it’s over 300. I was under the impression they had opened a new subsea cable from Perth to Singapore in recent weeks but it seems the ping has gone a whole lot worse. See results below:

US-East (Virginia) 405 ms
US East (Ohio) 401 ms
US-West (California). 236 ms
US-West (Oregon) 252 ms
Canada (Central) 316 ms
Europe (Ireland) 365 ms
Europe (London) 407 ms
Europe (Frankfurt) 453 ms
Europe (Paris) 532 ms
Asia Pacific (Mumbai) 315 ms
Asia Pacific (Osaka-Local) 212 ms
Asia Pacific (Seoul) 334 ms
Asia Pacific (Singapore) 368 ms
Asia Pacific (Sydney) 90 ms
Asia Pacific (Tokyo) 315 ms
South America (São Paulo) 498 ms
China (Beijing) 393 ms
China (Ningxia) 408 ms
AWS GovCloud (US) 366 ms
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Ping rate

The existing cable is currently having issues from my understanding. In regards to the new Indigo cable "We expect to finish laying the cable by the end of 2018 before testing begins. It will then be turned on and start transmitting data from mid-2019. Once completed, the INDIGO cable system will have more capacity than the cable currently in use between Perth and Singapore, and support faster speeds of up to 36 terabits per second – the equivalent of simultaneously streaming millions of movies a second." more information from the above article can be found here https://exchange.telstra.com.au/indigo-subsea-cable-internet-perth-singapore-jakarta/
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Highlighted
Brad-99
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

The undersea cable that has been cut (again) is called SMW3.

The cable gets cut alot. It also has repeaters that die because the cable system itself is quite old. It takes months to fix, partly because around Indonesia there is relatively shallow water, a huge amount of shipping that drag anchors, with the added bonus of Indonesia taking ages to approve work permits for the cable fixing ships to enter their waters.

That is right now basically the only path from WA to Asia. Traffic must now go Sydney->Japan->Asia pretty much while repairs are underway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES
Accepted Solution

The existing cable is currently having issues from my understanding. In regards to the new Indigo cable "We expect to finish laying the cable by the end of 2018 before testing begins. It will then be turned on and start transmitting data from mid-2019. Once completed, the INDIGO cable system will have more capacity than the cable currently in use between Perth and Singapore, and support faster speeds of up to 36 terabits per second – the equivalent of simultaneously streaming millions of movies a second." more information from the above article can be found here https://exchange.telstra.com.au/indigo-subsea-cable-internet-perth-singapore-jakarta/
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Level 21: Augmented

There is not much that can be added to @343GuiltySpark response other than that unfortunately there is no latency guarantee on domestic products...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Brad-99
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

The undersea cable that has been cut (again) is called SMW3.

The cable gets cut alot. It also has repeaters that die because the cable system itself is quite old. It takes months to fix, partly because around Indonesia there is relatively shallow water, a huge amount of shipping that drag anchors, with the added bonus of Indonesia taking ages to approve work permits for the cable fixing ships to enter their waters.

That is right now basically the only path from WA to Asia. Traffic must now go Sydney->Japan->Asia pretty much while repairs are underway.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more