CrowdSupport®
JohnB2
Level 4: Private Eye

Ping times double for whole area on NBN Fibre to the Node - Telstra can't/won't help

Answered

I have been keeping a regular record of my ping time and upload/download speeds since before I went onto Telstra Broadband FTN over a year ago.

I did a test on the 1st of July, and my ping was in the previously normal range of 15-18ms and upload/download 45-47/16-18Mbps.

However, since the 19th July, my ping rates have doubled to 34-37ms. Upload/download speeds are unchanged. I have checked with my neighbours on the same Node, and they are all getting increased ping times too. This ping time is even worse than I had on ADSL, so something remote from my home environment has changed.

I have phoned Telstra about this twice in the past two days, but they say they can't do anything as it is "not a speed issue". They can't seem to recommend any way of getting this significant change in ping times addressed.

So where do I go to now? Make a formal complaint? Or is there another way of having this issue addressed.....

Naturally, I have tried multiple devices both wired and wireless, and at two other NBN user's houses near by who are on the same node.

Cheers

John in Sunny Carnarvon WA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnB2
Accepted Solution

Re: Ping times double for whole area on NBN Fibre to the Node - Telstra can't/won't help

UPDATE:- 05/08/2019

My ping times have return to almost normal - now 17-20ms. It appears that the problem was/is with the Telstra Speedtest itself, which has been off line now for a number of days.....

It would have been nice if Telstra "Help" desk had listened a little more. They might have learned something!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Ping times double for whole area on NBN Fibre top the Node - Telstra can't/won't help

Guarantees for latency is not something that is covered under consumer plans, so lodging a complaint is not going to make a difference.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Re: Ping times double for whole area on NBN Fibre top the Node - Telstra can't/won't help

Hi JohnB2 - may I ask why the Ping time is perceived as a problem for you as the speed seems to be consistent.

The Ookla speetest.net results should be taken as a guide only as they are estimates that use culled results and not necessarily accurate in all circumstances (refer speedtest.net web site for details as to how they estimate it) . Successive results to the same test server will vary, sometimes extremely and the PC hardware is also a contributing factor. If you use the Telstra Speed Test engine which is powered by Ookla, I would expect you will get better results - why? I suspect because these tests may be conducted between Telstra's own servers. 

From your PC, if you do a 'tracecert' command from the CMD screen followed by a web site name or known company IP address - you will see the number of hops required to reach a terminating server, the related ping times between interconnection as packets transverse; sometimes these servers are located around the country or overseas. So the more hops, the longer the ping result will be. Having said that, if you ping your local LAN Gateway - I would expect a 4 ms ping result if you to have a 1000 Mbps LAN link. If you ping an external server with 10 hops - I would expect much longer result - in the order of 30-40 ms. I think its a miracle it makes it through at all as some links in theory can be up to 30 maximum hops - the Internet was designed that way to ensure robustness and not have one point of failure. 

When you consider how those packets get sent around the world, that the ping is just the initial connection time, a 37/1000 of a second ping time doesn't seem so terrible - as in your case it is not impacting the speed, but you may have other reasons that I am not aware of. In the last year, NBN has had a significant increase on its backbone load as more customers connect. We can expect the trend to continue as it nears the initial stage of its completion. 

JohnB2

Re: Ping times double for whole area on NBN Fibre to the Node - Telstra can't/won't help

Hi Mkrtich,

Thank you for taking the time to give your in-depth response.

I have been using https://telstra-nbn.speedtestcustom.com/ consistently to do my testing over the past year or so to get comparable results, and I have stored my results (by some subtle scraping) in a spreadsheet, so I think the methodology is as free from variations as possible. I also check it at random times with the same equipment.

I have recently done Trace Routes from within the Telstra Modem's interface, with the following results:-

Hostname IP Error code RTT (ms)

gateway.wb01.perth.asp.telstra.net58.162.26.129047,56,50

dns.google8.8.8.8081,81,82

My understanding is that ping gives an indication of "distance" and "possible congestion". I remember well a number of years ago when the local hospital had a sudden huge increase in ping times, and that was a result of Telstra accidentally rerouting traffic via Port Hedland rather than directly Carnarvon - Perth. Once that was fixed, performance was greatly enhanced for our heavy data needs....

My ping times have been totally consistent between 22nd May 2018 to 1st July 2019 (15-18ms). It was only from the 19th July onward that the ping times have doubled (34-37ms) - it would appear for everyone on our NBN node at least, if not for the whole town!

While a ping time of 34-37ms in itself might not be a problem, the sudden change does indicate that something has significantly changed in the network between the 1st and 19th of July.

I talked to a transient NBN tech while he was working on a pillar yesterday. He was unaware of any significant increases in connections or other changes during that period as the majority of our small town was converted to NBN users a year ago.

My ping time to my router is via LAN from my 1 year old higher performance laptop is 1 ms or less - Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64.

Cheers

John

Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with what you are saying and think that the phenomena being experienced by us all in regards to network performance has no clear answer and is one of the peculiarities of the internet as we are given it in Australia through various infrastructure around the country. Hopefully it will be upgraded and tuned over time as the new network is bedded in and expanded to cope with an ever increasing user demand.

Yes , the ping time would be more influenced by the distance factor and the associated number of hops involved to reach the destination server. I live in Brisbane, on pre NBN HFC and use a 7 year old low performance Netbook with a simple low end 7 year old Telstra Netgear Router which hasn't missed a beat since it was installed, so I am not in a rush to upgrade to NBN just yet - Telstra has asked me to postpone the migration due to current high demand.

I must have had a memory short circuit yesterday when I quoted the 4 ms local ping to router ( that is actually the number of packets) - my set up also gives a 1 ms response. For curiosity sake, I got the following results:-

Tested ping to 58.162.26.129 - could not connect - rejected twice - may be reserved for WA users

Tested ping 144.130.216.209 - Min 73ms Max 84 ms AVG 73 ms - twice your result - assume this server may be in WA.

Tested ping 8.8.8.8 - Min 22ms Max 23 ms AVG 23 ms - assume Google server closer to me

Telstra Speedtest Brisbane Server - 12 ms - speed 37.5 down/3.6 up

Speedtest.net Brisbane Server - 11ms - speed 34.18 down/4.98 up

I think that is good that you will continue to monitor your testing (I regularly test mine as well to make sure all is shipshape) and hopefully in the future your performance expectations may return. 

JohnB2
Accepted Solution

UPDATE:- 05/08/2019

My ping times have return to almost normal - now 17-20ms. It appears that the problem was/is with the Telstra Speedtest itself, which has been off line now for a number of days.....

It would have been nice if Telstra "Help" desk had listened a little more. They might have learned something!

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now