CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Poor CVC Allocation

Can Telstra not provision CVC properly? 

One my neighbours on another ISP pulls ~95 mbps during peak times whilst I can only get ~50mbps during peak times compared to ~90mbps during the day. I ask Telstra support about the issue and support consultants don't even know what CVC is! 

Quote from Telstra Support:

You: Do you know what CVC is?

****** (Name Redacted): Congestion verification check.

I am plugged directly into the NTD when running all of these tests and connection type is HFC. The neighbours results confirms it isn't congestion on the HFC segment and thus being Telstra not adequately provisioning CVC at the "Nunawading Depot" POI. 

Considering you guys charge $120 a month for NBN100, you sure don't deliver on performance. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Poor CVC Allocation

CVC capacity isn't the only thing that can cause slow speeds, even when you're plugged directly into the NTD. If you haven't already I'd recommend raising a fault by calling Telstra's NBN Faults team on 1800 834 273
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Well, what else can cause slow speeds then?

Highlighted

CVC capacity is from your Premise to the NBN POI - after that you're on the ISP's network and there can be issues there.

The issue could be a capacity issue on the HFC hub your premise connects to but your neighbors might connect to another HFC hub out in the pit.

These are two broad examples, by raising a fault it allows your speed issue to be looked into and helps identify where they fault is and then its escalated to the appropriate team to resolve. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

I know how the NBN infrastructure works.

Please tell me how there could be node congestion when the area was recently made RFS? 

When both neighbours can get pull full speeds at night who are on different ISP's, this directly points to an inadequate provisioning of CVC. Why are you so quick to take the blame off Telstra, is it because you work for them? 

You tell me to raise a fault like I haven't? Not a single employee I have talked to knows what CVC is and just tell me they will monitor speeds for 24 hours and get back to me. They never do.

Highlighted

1: I don't have access the specific network infrastructure in your area to provide an answer to possible congestion.

2: I'm not taking the blame off Telstra I pointed out that CVC capacity isn't the only thing that can cause speed issues.

3: I said if you haven't already raised a fault I would recommend raising one. As in your first post you hadn't explicitly said you had raised one. 

Highlighted

@343GuiltySpark wrote:

1: I don't have access the specific network infrastructure in your area to provide an answer to possible congestion.

2: I'm not taking the blame off Telstra I pointed out that CVC capacity isn't the only thing that can cause speed issues.

3: I said if you haven't already raised a fault I would recommend raising one. As in your first post you hadn't explicitly said you had raised one. 

If you don't know why, why are you responding? Can you just let someone who may actually have insight reply? Thanks

Highlighted

This is a community forum, anyone is free to post on here, myself included. The exact cause of your speed issue isn't going to be able to resolved here as you have already isolated your connection to the NTD which has not changed the speed you're getting. Your speed issue will need to be resolved through the normal faults process.

Highlighted

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
This is a community forum, anyone is free to post on here, myself included. The exact cause of your speed issue isn't going to be able to resolved here as you have already isolated your connection to the NTD which has not changed the speed you're getting. Your speed issue will need to be resolved through the normal faults process.

Typical Telstra customer service. Can you just stop posting here? Hate to break it to you, but you aren't very helpful. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit