Highlighted
DougBooth
Level 3: Gumshoe

Poor NBN Speed

Just activated Telstra NBN service. Signed up for Very Fast NBN i.e. 100mbps. Was previously with another provider on same package.

Here is the speedtest result for my previous provider:

speedtest-pre-telstra.jpg

Previous provider speedtest result = 91.49 mbps download 38.76 mbps upload.

Very good speed.

Here is the Telstra speedtest:

speedtest-telstra.png

Telstra Speedtest Result = 9.44 mbps download 1.47 mbps upload

Not too good!

I am using the same equipment, modem etc. So why is Telstra's speed so much worse than my previous provider?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Poor NBN Speed

Hi DougBooth

Have you checked in with our NBN team to confirm that you're on our fastest NBN package.
Based on the speeds you're receiving I would suspect that you're on the base level NBN package rather than the package that would provide you with similar speeds to your previous provider.

Our NBN team can check onto this for you 24x7 on 1800 TFIBRE and let you know your options for a speed boost if you don't already have one.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DougBooth

I signed up for the Very Fast - NBN service, and it shows on my bill, so I would suggest that Yes, I am on that service,

DougBooth

Hi Steph

I phoned the NBN assurance team and they stated that there was congestion issues that were being cleared by the techs. Sounded pretty lame to me.

I contacted the billing team and they confirmed that I was on the 100/40 mbps speed.

As I write the download speed is 5.91 mbps!

I do not have the time to continually phone Telstra over this. I am also experiencing billing problems with my Telstra business phone lines.

I gave Telstra a second chance after extremely poor service with my business systems a number of years ago.

Nothing has changed since then!

It is now time to issue Telstra with a Remedy or Breach.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi DougBooth, 

It would be best to assign a case manager so we can look into this and have them give you a call. We can arrange this here for you:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/6818...

This would be the best way to have this resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience or frustration this may have caused you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

DougBooth

I contacted the complaints department as per your link - received an email from the "CASE MANAGER" informing me to contact NBN Assurance....WAY TO GO "CASE MANAGER". You earnt your pay that day!

As per Clause 7.3 b of Telstra's Customer Terms, I have now notified Telstra in writing that it has breached a material term of our contract and Telstra now has 14 days to remedy or the contract is cancelled.

I suspect that in 14 days time, I will be using the NBN service with another provider.

Support Team
Support Team

Hello Doug

If you are advising us that you would like to cancel you service you do need to ring 132200 and speak to a Team Member.

DougBooth

KathleenC - bad advice again from a Telstra employee.

If I do as you suggest, yes, the service will be cancelled.

However I will no doubt be informed that I am terminating the service early, and Telstra will then try to apply early termination charges as Telstra will find me in breach of contract.

Telstra now has 14 days to rectify the speed problem or be found in breach.

At that point I will phone 132200 and cancel the service.

You either do not know Telstra procedures or you have an edict to provide "advice" that are favourable to your employer.

Support Team
Support Team

Have you contacted our NBN Team regarding the speed so they can investigate it for you?.

DougBooth

If you have read the posts KathleenC, you would not need to ask that question!

Support Team
Support Team

I do appreciate you have been in contact with a Case Manger and they have advised you who to contact.

If you were unhappy with the outcome of the complaint did you ask for it to be escalated?,  if not and you send me the Complaint SR number I can have this escalated for you. 

Gorillaunit
Level 1: Cadet

firstly- this conversation is being recorded for legal purposes!!!!

seccond- my plan has been ordered as 100mbps/40mbps

well i am just jumping on the bandwagon and recording daily speed ready for court. my down stream was quicker on ADSL!?!

NBN hookup= less than a month ago

1. Adsl speedtest (pre nbn hookup)

speed test before nbn swap over.PNG

2. NBN speed test (3rd party)

3rd party speed test 14.10.2016.PNG

3. Telstra speed test (nbn)

Telstra speed test 14.10.2016.PNG

4. Line stats at time of test

modem line stats 14.10.2016.PNG

5. I have been told by telstra that they "didn't anticipate the uptake volume" and they "don't have sufficent bandwidth allocation" the back end bandwidth is apparently being upgraded on the 25th of October 2016.

I must now wait until then. recording my daily speed tests.

Time to get very familiar with:

http://consumerlaw.gov.au/

The deadline is the 25th Telstra. I have officially had enough!

Gorillaunit

fyi- if a major fault can be proven or breach of contract you are within your rights to seek out an external contractor to resvole the problem to which your provider is 100% liable for the cost. perhaps its time too seek legal advice friend. (of which the the provider could also liable for associated costs)

get familiar

http://consumerlaw.gov.au/

Gorillaunit

and..... the next support person to ask me to turn it Off and ON will recieve some very colourful language

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now