CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
OverFailstra
Level 2: Rookie

Poor NBN speed

Answered

So my problems with telstra started around 10 weeks ago.

It began with a few internet and phone line drop outs. (Around twice during the evening)

Around this time we also noticed the nbn speeds dropping from 25mb/sec to around 10mb/sec.

The speeds at this early stage weren't an issue and 10mb/s is completely ok to deal with.

Over the next few weeks the connection problems increased dramatically.

The connection along with the phone were dropping out every 10-20mins and the speed of the connection dropped to 1-2mb's.

Upon many many calls to telstra's terrible support center, telstra wouldnt admit to any issues and just kept running us around with the usual 'we will monitor your line' bull**bleep**.

It got to a stage when weren't getting anywhere with telstra so we got TIO involved. Within 24 hours we had a senior case manager involved (YAY telstra pulling their finger out of their arse! -  WOOHOO).

Within a few days telstra had NBN involved and had an NBN tech visit the property to test the infrastructure out. Immediately the tech found problems in the system including possible house wiring issues. Wiring and sockets were swapped over and replaced and the tech advised us to check into replacing the telstra phone cable in the house. At the time he advised us that the speed to the socket was at 25mb/s and said we should be getting no futher problems with what was available.

Fast forward 24 hours...The connection is worse than ever. IT was dropping every 10-15 minutes and the speed was still at around 1-2 mb/sec. After further phone calls to telstra, NBN was again send out to recheck all the infrastructure for a 2nd time.

After receiving a call from the NBN tech to advise that he suspected the problem was in the internal house wiring we accepted that the problem was ours to deal with and Telstra closed the complaint without looking into it any further.

Fast forward to 2 days ago. We finally managed to get a registered cabling into the house to replace the internal wiring. After a few hours work we both managed to replace the cable. Upon inspection the electrician/cabler advised that he could not see any problem with the original telstra wiring and he believed we may have spent money on a repair that didnt need to be done. While he was there, after he had completed the replacement of the not **bleep**ed wiring he asked us to conduct a speed test. The modem took around 20 minutes to synch and we found that our problems were not fixed at all. Speed tests showed that we had spent money but gained absolutely nothing with nbn speeds at 1-2mb/sec. Seriously Go Figure......

All I want to know MR Telstra is....can you actually **bleep**ing help me...? Or am I stuck with the continuous usual bull**bleep** where telstra and nbn blame everyone other than themselves for the problems? I am on the biggest plan Telstra have and have been a loyal customer for over 10 years  but we are now at the stage where we believe paying for a premium service doesnt actually give you that premium help or support. I mean really...we have been paying full price for a service for the last 2 months but we have absolutely no way of using it but yet Telstra have absolutely no problem with taking my money.

We have involved the TIO in this matter but im not sure that it really means a lot to Telstra.

If Telstra is really intersted in assisting in this matter they can conctact me anytime and we are more then happy to work through this issue but I am afraid that in the not to distant future I will be sending the logs of the issue to the ACCC and seeking legal council on this situation.

Regards

A Very Peeved off Customer

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Poor NBN speed

@Jupiter I'm leaning towards the gateway potentially being the cause. I've seen similar situations before which turned out to be due to a faulty gateway. That would be my port of call

With NBN coming out on the back of a TIO complaint, I'm more inclined to believe the tech when he claims he was registering 25mpbs at the socket

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
OverFailstra
Accepted Solution

Quick update. Telstra has well and truly sorted the problem. It took a bit to sort out but im happy to say its fixed and working far better than i could have ever expected. Telstra also reimbursed  all expenses which I totally didnt expect.

I may have been really peeved before at the very slow response but in the end its sorted.

In the end I totally give a big ++++ to the aussie side of telstra support. Once they were involved it was sorted within a week.

I do have to say Telstra need to bring back the aussie support centers. The overseas support are  absolutely useless and the savings they make by using overseas staff simply make Telstra look so bad its embarrassing.

Thank you Telstra for sorting this mess.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 25: The Singularity

Is it the speed that is dropping, or is the sync rate from your modem to the NBN Node dropping? You can check this by logging in to your modem http://10.0.0.138 and checking the Maximum and Actual Line Sync Rates.

If it is the Line Sync Rate that has dropped, then it is an NBN issue (as the problem will lie between your modem and the Node) and all Telstra can do is request NBN Co investigate the problem.

If the Line Sync Rate is OK, but the speeds are low, then it will be a lack of CVC in your area and is a Telstra issue as they will need to purchase more CVC from NBN Co.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
OverFailstra

Right ok...so im getting this but I have no idea what it means.

Thanks for your help

Untitled.png

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Those stats are quite odd and there is something quite wrong.

I haven't seen a reading with a noise margin of zero before, and it is saying that the line is only capable of 3Mbps download.

First thing I would do is reset the modem (little pin hole on front of modem between the two lower buttons), and see if the reading change (takes about 10 minutes to get back up and running properly).

If they don't change, I would be giving 1800 834 273 another call and telling them what the stats are saying, as it would indicate a problem on the NBN side of things.

@Yastiandrie, given that you have had more exposure to these modems, have you got any suggestions?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your connection issues. Do you happen to have been provided with a Telstra reference number I can look into and further investigate for you? 

Thanks, Vi

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Accepted Solution

@Jupiter I'm leaning towards the gateway potentially being the cause. I've seen similar situations before which turned out to be due to a faulty gateway. That would be my port of call

With NBN coming out on the back of a TIO complaint, I'm more inclined to believe the tech when he claims he was registering 25mpbs at the socket

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
OverFailstra

Guys thanks greatly for your help. Jupiter no need to be sorry, Ive had better help here than on the phone to telstra.

Thanks to you guys Ive now got another modem coming from telstra. Im hoping this will do the trick.

I really cant say how much I am disappointed in telstra's support tho. Its probably to be expected with them stripping Aussie support and taking the call centers overseas with the new support centers only trained in generic answers. As far as im concerned telstra is now a totally un-Australian company and I had to learn the hard way. I really cant see myself using this brand for much longer into the future knowing that just because telstra once was Australian...it now clearly has nothing to do with Australia accept for providing a service in this country.(and probably the worse service I could imagine).

Blurple the complaint number is SR 1-1264692312597. I don't hold any expectations from you looking into it. Im simply over telstra's excuses and lack of assistance. As far as im concerned if the modem replacement doesnt fix it then im done with telstra and there is nothing they can offer me to gain me back as a customer. TIO has phoned me today and escalated it to another level but after that im done and not interested in wasting anymore time and money on this company.

Thanks for your help guys.

Its greatly appreciated.

OverFailstra
Accepted Solution

Quick update. Telstra has well and truly sorted the problem. It took a bit to sort out but im happy to say its fixed and working far better than i could have ever expected. Telstra also reimbursed  all expenses which I totally didnt expect.

I may have been really peeved before at the very slow response but in the end its sorted.

In the end I totally give a big ++++ to the aussie side of telstra support. Once they were involved it was sorted within a week.

I do have to say Telstra need to bring back the aussie support centers. The overseas support are  absolutely useless and the savings they make by using overseas staff simply make Telstra look so bad its embarrassing.

Thank you Telstra for sorting this mess.

OverFailstra

And for the note of it...It was a dodgy modem.

xxxxxxxxxx

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting us know it is all sorted and we have also resolve any billing/charges issues.

Our are awesome even if I do say so myself and I will pass on your feedback to them do you happen to have a reference number they might have given you starting with INT or SR or TT you can send me?, it will enable me to check the notes and send the contact to the correct Team.  Do not send your account number.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now