Highlighted
Basskip
Level 1: Cadet

Poor cable upload performance (streaming to twitch.tv)

As a hobby and part time job, I stream Dota 2 gameplay and commentary to twitch.tv.

I was previously on an ADSL2+ connection provided by internode, but I opted to have cable connected to my apartment as well, in the hopes that the cable connection would allow me to bump up my stream quality (by streaming at a higher upload bitrate).

However, the upload performance of my cable connection has been awful since it was activated, aside from two days right after activation, where I was able to stream without too many problems.

While I appreciate that I have to stream to an ingest server in Singapore or on the west coast of the US, I did not expect international upload performance to be this bad.

For comparison, my ADSL2+ connection syncs at 1.3mbps and speedtests of my cable connection show ~2.3mbps locally (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3125775132). However, when attempting to stream to the Singapore twitch ingest server with the same settings, the difference in upload stability is night and day http://imgur.com/a/3c8Jm

For reference, settings used for the provided tests:
Server: Singapore
Video max bitrate: 800kbps
Audio bitrate: 128kbps
CBR: on
Resolution: 616p
FPS: 25

Duration: 15 minutes

I have also tried streaming to USW, but performance (on cable at least) is even worse than Singapore.

Additional information:

Modem: Netgear CG3100D-2

Connecting via: Ethernet

Line stats (seem fine): http://imgur.com/XrbwVeZ

Location: Brisbane, 4068 (I have heard some people mentioning cable problems in Brisbane at the moment)

JTVPing comparison: http://imgur.com/a/pKDhI

Singapore traceroute comparison: http://pastebin.com/gh5zvkvT

I'm more than willing to provide any other details.

Is this something that can be improved, or was I being unrealistic hoping to be able to stream on BigPond Cable in the first place?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Poor cable upload performance (streaming to twitch.tv)

Hi Basskip,

The issue is not with your service or BigPond Cable, I also stream on an irregular basis and have never had a problem. A few weeks ago however I was doing a 24 hour Extra Life Charity stream and had the exact same issue to the singapore servers. In fact, doing several speed tests showed that I was able to upload and download to USE / USW 6 times faster.

I thought it was just an issue at the time but it appears that it is ongoing, Telstra might need to take a look at its international routing.
Lathania

Hi Basskip,

You will receive a private message from me, with a link where you can provide your contact and account details so that I can have this investigated further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Basskip

Hey Shelly,

I filled out the form as requested, looking forward to hearing back.

PaulyH

Hi Basskip,

Was this issue resolved for you? I am having a very similar problem (NBN 100/40, max upload to twitch is 1300kb/s) and would like to know if there was a solution.

Cheers,
siliconart

I am having the exact same issues  as everyone who has posted above. I have had 3 technicians out to the premises, the connection in the pit changed x2, new cable from the wall to the modem, and finally a brand new modem that did not resolve the issue.

Please this really bad and causeing major issues with streaming to twitch.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey siliconart,

I would recommend having Shelly sent a PM to see if she is able to assist you further with these issues. She is a Level 2 Technician and if there is anything that can be done, she is the one that will be able to assist further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now