CrowdSupport®
zook
Level 2: Rookie

Poor customer service: No internet for 7 days and clounting in St Ives

We and others in St Ives have been without broadband in St Ives for the past 7 days. Multiple contacts to Telstra have been frustrating to say the least.

Responses from telstra have been: "there is no outage in your area", to daily responses such as "it will be fixed by 3pm today", "fixed by 7pm today".

The lack of communication from Telstra is dissappointing. It seems its up to the customers to continually go through the timely process of making contact with the call centre and being dragged through the repeated basic trouble shooting before being given a time frame with no relevance to what actually occurs.

A decent internet connection is often essential for work, student assignments etc.

Please up your game Telstra and communicate effectively and accurately with your long term customers before they move to another provider.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Poor customer service: No internet for 7 days and clounting in St Ives

HI zook, my apologies for the ongoing frustration with the connection and I hope the service is up and running again for you soon. If there is a known widespread fault or maintenance work in your area this should be listed at https://tel.st/wr2kd along with updates on the restoration time as we receive reports from the investigating technicians. If the rollout of the National Broadband Network has been completed in your area then repair works for fixed-line phone and broadband services would be handled by NBNCo, and we would be awaiting information from their teams regarding progress.

While we're not able to access accounts via posts on these forums, our Tech teams on 133 933 (for ADSL or cable services) or 1800 834 273 (for NBN connections) can run line tests and arrange for any technician appointments as well as discussing plan fee credits and interim connection options for the service downtime.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

zook

Thanks for the response Greg. Whenever we call Telstra myself and our neighbours are being told the same thing "it should be fixed by 7pm this evening". Of course that never happens and we are given absolutely no information as to when service will be restored and whether this is part of an NBN upgrade, damage due to recent heavy rain etc. It is very frustrating to get the same "read from a sheet of paper" response from the call centre staff who add nothing more than frustration. The "fixed by 7pm this evening" line was trotted out whilst I was on the phone at well past 7pm. Who else can we call for assistance? I was told last night by a call centre staff member that thert was no one else I or she could contact to obtain more useful information, so now we are entering the 9th day of outage with absolutely no information on the nature of the issue, nor when it will be fixed.

There have been formal complaints lodged via Telstra and there will be complaints lodged with the Ombusman, and talk of dozens of us moving all our services to another provider. As a single example, I have 5 mobile phone accounts with Telstra as well as internet and home phone and have been a loyal customer for 20 years. To be kept in the dark for so long is unacceptable treatment by Telstra, and is inconsistent with the reasonable expectations of its customers. It should not be this hard. Perhaps you can provide further assistance and find out whats going on? We are in postcode 2075.
zook

Hi again Greg: should add that the outage checker (which I have been checking at least twice per day for the past 8 days says that there is no outage detected). This is another example of the frustrating lack of communication (and inconsistency of advice) from Telstra (ie call centre vs outage checker).
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @zook,

Do you have a Cable service? As there appears to be a reported issue in 2075 for Cable from the 17th of March. If your address is affected then it should be showing on the outage tool, so I apologise if you are directly affected and it's not displaying. 

Our Tech Support team can look into requesting a Smart Modem for you as this is an ongoing issue which can't be resolved at this time. The Smart Modem will provide a 4G backup until your home internet service can be restored. If you are finding that you are not able to get a resolution, the next step will be to lodge a formal complaint, which can be done online here:  https://tel.st/yqwk7 and a Complaint Case Manager will make contact with you to assist further. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

zook

Hi Ivan: Yes, I have cable. The outage does not show for my address on the Telstra outage tool.

Is the outage due to anything to do with the roll out of NBN infrastructure?

Is it actively being fixed?

Neither of the above questions have been able to be answered by anyone from the call centre.

Can you provide some meaningful insight into when the issue will be resolved (ie other than the call centre standard response which seems to be "due to be fixed by 7pm this evening", which I have now heard for the past week, after I was initially told there was no outage.

I have a Smart Modem II which I purchased with my own funds but the 4G speeds I am getting are so poor as to make this backup almost useless other than for sending basic emails without attachments.

Thanks for helping.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What speeds are you getting while connected to your backup 4G connection through the modem?

- AlistairQWA

zook

Just ran a speedtest: download was 0.12 Mbps, upload was 0.16 Mbps.

I sometimes get better than it but it is very inconsistent. I certainly dont get close to the 6Mbps that my 4G should be throttled to.

As you can see, this is terrible. My usual broadband speed is close to 100 Mbps.

Why cant we just be told whats going on and why, after 9 days without any broadband, there is still not one piece of useful information as to where the problem lies and when it will be resolved?

Basic customer service should include such information after such a lengthy loss of service.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Unfortunately some outages end up in the hands of external network teams and sometimes all the information that comes back is an estimated timeframe rather than technical information. 

It seems like your backup mode may be shaped unless the signal is red or off on the modem. Can you send through the serial number of your modem in a private message and I can have the network team make sure it is not shaped.

- AlistairQWA

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now