CrowdSupport®
KayeG
Level 2: Rookie

Poor internet connection/dropping out & Telstra staff where English is not their first language

Answered

Hi everyone - hope someone might have an answer for me as I seem to be getting the runaround from Telstra support. Have moved to a new suburb in the same town (Townsville) and find the internet connection very slow - same plan as original home, but new Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. We are constantly having the modem switch off; now we find we are getting more and more timeouts and unable to connect to the internet. The problem came to a head recently when we bought a new smart TV and tried to connect to the internet. The TV setup indicated that using wifi we were connected, but when going on to say iVIEW, the message was that we didn’t have an internet connection. We also tried a direct cable from the modem to TV (modem is situated right beside the TV) with the same result. 

I then contacted Telstra and was connected to someone whose first language was not English and I’m sure this person had recently watched the Most Exotic Marigold Hotel as I was asked questions about the weather, Xmas etc etc. I told him that I had already run the gamut of turning off the modem, turning it on, re-setting. Went through the same process - upshot of being on the phone for quite a considerable time was that he was happy I could connect to the internet on my computer but didn’t want to know about the TV issue and why there was a problem with that. At this point, the operator was obviously trying to get me off his call and the understanding between he and I with what he was saying became worse. Then I was asked to give an answer to a survey that would appear in my EMail.

Was hardly off the phone when I saw that my modem was displaying a blue light on the front. Didn’t know what that was so phoned Telstra again only to be told not to worry about that - as long as the lights on the back were all operational everything was fine.

Still having timeouts on connections on my computer and the TV still not connecting to the internet - to say we are frustrated is only the tip of the iceberg.

The survey duly appeared on my Email to which I answered about the poor response and was directed to another number - also answered by someone whose first language was not English - with the same result. Crappy slow internet connection and timeouts........

Speed tests have been run - and yes, it even takes some time to connect to Telstra to run the speed tests.

I believe our connection is Fibre to the Node so not sure if that has some bearing on the poor connection.

Can someone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KayeG
Accepted Solution

Re: Poor internet connection/dropping out & Telstra staff where English is not their first langu

Hi cf4 - sorry for the slow response but Hallelujah, changing the IP DNS setting has worked in getting the TV on the go!!!

Still not happy with Telstra as we were expecting somebody from NBN to check the line last Monday afternoon. We got a message from Telstra that morning to say that as our internet was working nobody was coming out and that my Philippino contact would phone Tuesday - well, am still waiting for that call!!! Will see what happens now with the drop-out rate.

For info, last Tuesday evening I did a Telstra troubleshooting test with the result that the line connection test failed and that "We can confirm that your service is not connected, however we are unable to identify the cause" - just threw my hands up. Merry-go-round here we come.

Once again thanks so much for your assistance cf4 - very much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Poor internet connection/dropping out & Telstra staff where English is not their first langu

It would be wise to run the Telstra Troubleshooting Tool.

Below is a link:

https://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/troubleshooting-tool

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
KayeG

Thank you ProfessorPhone - however, I have tried that also and sorry I didn't mention it in my "rant". However below are the responses when trying to do this again:

This site can’t be reached

myid.telstra.com’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

and

This site can’t be reached

signon.telstra.com took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_TIMED_OUT

Kaye,  as we have people here with different skill-sets, we have a modem / internet  genius, who I am sure will respond to you when he is available later.  Thank you, P.P.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Sorry for the late reply.

Is the light on the front of the modem still blue. A light on front of modem indicates modem is in 4G backup mode were speed is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up but if used for extended period of time speed gets throttled to 256 Kbps. The slow speed could be the cause of your problems. The modem is on 4G backup because there is a problem with the main link which will probably require a tech visit to fix. If light is still blue suggest you ring support and report a fault also request they submit a web form to remove throttling on 4G backup. If not satisfied with response you can lodge a complaint using methods indicated in link below.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

If front light is green could you post a screen shot of the Advanced > Broadband  (Technicolor Modem) or Go to Advanced > Internet (Arcadyan Modem) IP address of modem is http://192.168.0.1 and password is Telstra.

KayeG

Txs cf4 - I phoned Telstra again and got somebody from the Philippines this time. At least he tried a few different options and actually has booked a technician to come. Fingers crossed that this will sort out the problem - Optus is looking pretty good just now.

Good afternoon Kaye,

cf4 has provided you with excellent  information and advice.

I doubt that the technician who arrives, will have the depth of knowledge you have been offered here.

Please be aware that Optus use the identical NBN infrastructure as do Telstra, and they also outsource their customer service overseas.

I am not a Telstra employee

KayeG

Thank you for your advice ProfessorPhone. Haven't had the blue light scenario again, but will continue to complain to Telstra until we get a satisfactory outcome - ie internet dropping out and new TV able to connect. Will contact cf4 again as I'm not sure about where I find the information regarding the green light and IP address. Cheers

KayeG

Hi again cf4 - could you please let me now where I find the information to post the screen shot of the "advanced>...etc". Many thanks.

@KayeG 

The location depends on the version of the Gen 2 modem? One is made by Arcadyan (No vents on the sides) and the other is made by Technicolor vents on the sides. See image below.

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

To view information open a web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra.

If modem is Technicolor go to "Advanced" and then "Broadband".

If modem is Arcadyan go to  "Go to Advanced" and then "Internet"

Below is an example screen shot of the Arcadyan modem's Internet settings.

Arcadyan_LH1000_Internet_Settings.jpg 

KayeG

Hi cf4 - screenshot below: Tells me my broadband service is working normally although I've been working on the net this afternoon and had a few times when I can't reach a site that I had already been working on - it had just disconnect.

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 6.41.48 pm.png

Everything looks okay there. One thing you could try to fix the TV  connection problem and it might also fix your other problem is to change both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS settings in the modem and then reboot the modem after saving the settings.

See section 32 of document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

KayeG
Accepted Solution

Hi cf4 - sorry for the slow response but Hallelujah, changing the IP DNS setting has worked in getting the TV on the go!!!

Still not happy with Telstra as we were expecting somebody from NBN to check the line last Monday afternoon. We got a message from Telstra that morning to say that as our internet was working nobody was coming out and that my Philippino contact would phone Tuesday - well, am still waiting for that call!!! Will see what happens now with the drop-out rate.

For info, last Tuesday evening I did a Telstra troubleshooting test with the result that the line connection test failed and that "We can confirm that your service is not connected, however we are unable to identify the cause" - just threw my hands up. Merry-go-round here we come.

Once again thanks so much for your assistance cf4 - very much appreciated.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit