Highlighted
Snorky
Level 4: Private Eye

Poor service...

Answered

Hi,

I really hope someone there can help rectify the issue I am currently experiencing

Why am I paying full price for a service which NOT up to scratch?

It all started in January, 2011...

Before the floods in January, download speed was averaging 850-950Kbps (very stable and the occasional dropout)

After the floods in January, I noticed a speed drop of around 150Kbps (I thought OK, connection is slightly slower, still usable)

Fast forward to December 2011 (Just after the breach) I notice a massive drop in speed. For the last month or so, speed has been averaging 0-600Kbps (600 on a good day! As it is, it took 5 minutes to load this page)

Information:

According to http://www.yourbroadband.com.a and http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au, Line of sight is 2006 m from IPSW (Queensland) as the crow flies. Estimated cable length of 2708.1 m.
Estimated speed of 9000, Zone 1

Here are some results from the last month:

Telstra BigPond 200GB ADSL (200 GB / $99.95), ipswich exchange (IPSW)
brisbane, queensland exchange (IPSW) brisbane, queensland

Modem: F7D2401 (Belkin surf)

Dec 17, 2011:

Version Info:

Firmware Version 1.00.41(Jan 21 2011 11:10:33)
Boot Version V1.06
Hardware F7D2401 v1 (01)

Internet Settings
WAN MAC Address 08:86:3B:0D:2B:9D
Connection Type PPPoE
WAN IP 58.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask 255.x.x.x
Default Gateway 172.xx.xxx.xxx
DNS Address 61.x.xxx.xx

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 5835/736
Noise Margin 8 /13
Output power(dBm) 12 /20 (have seen 0/0 some days)
Attenuation(dB) 42 /25

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test

----------------------------------

Test run on 17/12/2011 @ 12:56 PM

Mirror: Telstra Bigpond

Data: 3 MB

Test Time: 5.13 secs

Your line speed is 4.78 Mbps (4778 kbps).

Your download speed is 597 KB/s (0.58 MB/s).

January 8, 2012:

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 5835 /736
Noise Margin 7 /13
Output power(dBm) 0 /20
Attenuation(dB) 42 /25

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test

----------------------------------

Test run on 8/01/2012 @ 05:44 AM

Test Time: 5.71 secs

Your line speed is 4.29 Mbps (4289 kbps).

Your download speed is 536 KB/s (0.52 MB/s).

January 20, 2012:

ADSL
Type ---
Status FULL INITIALIZATION
Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 0 /0
Noise Margin 2 /13
Output power(dBm) 0 /0
Attenuation(dB) 42 '25

Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 20/01/2012 @ 02:24 AM

Test Time: 5.28 secs

Your line speed is 4.64 Mbps (4636 kbps).

Your download speed is 579 KB/s (0.57 MB/s).

January 29, 2012:

ADSL

Type Interleave Path

Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 5521/718

Noise Margin 10/13

Output power(dBm) 435/0

Attenuation(dB) 42/25

Test run on 29/01/2012 @ 04:26 AM

Test Time: 5.28 secs

Your line speed is 4.64 Mbps (4636 kbps).

Before rang tech support, I conducted all tests, changed password, switched between 3 different modems, switched all cables filters etc... with the same result every time (failure to connect or super slow speed).

So, I ring tech support in the hope someone will be able to explain what is going on. No good, I was fed the scripted bull**bleep**, tossed around from one CSR to the next (in which I had to repeat my issue over and over again) or was disconnected.

I Work in the multimedia industry, a fast, stable and reliable connection is essential in my line of work (I have already lost clients, money and wasted precious time on the phone to tech support).

And due to lack of speed, I havce not been able to log into MyBipond to check my account etc...

As you can tell, I am extremely frustrated! Switching ISP is not really an option, as there are no ports on the Ipswich exchange.

Will someone rectify this issue as soon as possible, is that too much to ask? I'm sick and tired of paying full price for service which is not up to scratch!

I have the technical knowledge to know, something is either wrong at the exchange or pit (so don't give me any more bull**bleep**).

Kind regards,

Paul (frustrated beyond belief).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Snorky
Accepted Solution

Re: Poor service...

ok, it has been a few days since things were fixed, i am very happy (averaging 6.9 down, 900 up)! Smiley Happy

i still have a power issue, i'm thinking it is the modem (I'll be switching it out for a Billion modem)

Massive thanks to the tech who paid a visit last sunday (who know who you are!)

Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Snorky

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Hi Paul,

I'll start off by saying that the "Official Minimum" for Telstra ADSL services is a File Transfer rate of 110kB/sec or a Sync Rate of 1536/256kbps. Now that I've covered off the bare minimums, lets get into it Smiley Happy

You are getting a Sync rate of roughly 550kB (I always round down). This is about perfect for your Attenuation (42dB Downstream). If I was reviewing the line from a Tech Support position, based upon the information provided, the line is within Specification (both the "Official Minimum") and my professional assessment based on Attenuation, Speed Tests, and other factors.

Yes, the speed may have decreased due to the floods, but it appears to still be on the higher end of spec based on the raw data (and thanks for providing that). My concern would be that a Tech would look at that, and call it within spec immediatley (which may incure a "No Fault Found" Fee).

For more information, the below Graph (from Wikipedia) is one that I used often to identify if a speed was correct. Whilst it's not 100% it provides a good insight:

ADSL_Line_Rate_Attenuation.gif

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Level 22: Superhuman

Snorky wrote:

Telstra BigPond 200GB ADSL (200 GB / $99.95), ipswich exchange (IPSW)

  ⋮

I Work in the multimedia industry, a fast, stable and reliable connection is essential in my line of work (I have already lost clients, money and wasted precious time on the phone to tech support).

Relying on a BigPond broadband service – which is consumer-grade, best-efforts (spread across the entire customer base!) fault restoration – for business-critical network connectivity is not the wisest or most diligent of business decisions, for starters.

Not to excuse BigPond for any instances where it fails to apply reasonable commercial efforts to rectify a reported service fault, but if the teenager next door has issues playing World of Warcraft or some such, and reports a fault, it would be regarded as being of equal priority by BigPond as any fault you report as (possibly) costing you lost income – and rightly so. Is that what you want for what you say is “essential in [your] line of work”?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F

I think what Drat is trying to suggest is that, if you are a business customer, Business Broadband might be more suitable for your needs Smiley Happy

New Users - Click Here!

Snorky

Yes, i understand that!

Like I said, the connection was working well until December 2011.

Before the floods, I was able to upload fine without any real issues.

Yet, no-one wants to or refuses to explain the sudden drop in line sync.

Before the floods line sync was roughly 8500-9000 down - 900 up, and the Attenuation was hovering around the 25-32db or there aboutsmark (which was very good, Uploads were fairly quick, compared current speeds, equating to 15-70 up and the Attenuation being 42db)

As for applying for a business grade connection, that is a no go! As the service i run is freelance (it's more enjoyable and I like it that way)

Again, tech support are nothing but trained monkeys.

I have a relative who is a Network admin, he has looked at my connection, after performing the required tests on 3 different PC's, a laptop and all 3 modems, he thinks there is definitely something wrong at the exchange or pit.

Kind regards,

Paul (Super frusrated)

Snorky

Will the following will help..

http://www.pingtest.net/result/55634945.png

Test run on 29/01/2012 @ 11:32 PM

Test Time: 5.29 secs

Your line speed is 4.63 Mbps (4632 kbps).

Local ping test:

ping www.bigpond.com

Pinging www.bigpond.com [144.135.18.32] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 144.135.18.32: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=240
Reply from 144.135.18.32: bytes=32 time=74ms TTL=240
Reply from 144.135.18.32: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=240
Reply from 144.135.18.32: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=240

Ping statistics for 144.135.18.32:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 74ms, Average = 62ms

Ben_F

I don't think its an issue in explaining the sudden drop, I think its an issue with what the line is now capable of providing.

Not to discount your relative, but I've spoken with Network Admins who insist that their many qualfications in how to network computers somehow makes them an expert in Telecommunications. There was a long standing thread around Whirlpool where it was argued that Network Admin does not equal Telco Expert.

32dB of Attenuation takes you well above what you claimed you were getting before. Not many people realise you can push for someone to go out and check the line, however as I mentioned above, that line meets the minimum requirement of 110kB/sec Transfer rate and 1536/256 Sync. Anything above that, even if it has dropped, is considered above specification.

You can call our "Trained Monkeys" and request a Tech be sent (you will need to push a bit, but I've had it done) however you need to be 100% aware that if the tech determines that their either isn't a fault or that the fault is outside of the copper network, you may be charged an Incorrect Callout fee. Thats why they push back when all the lights on their systems show Green (which they would with the stats you have posted).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Snorky

Hi Ben,

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I'm totally aware about the tech callout fee (I have had to deal them once before).

Whirlpool is an awesome site, but i do understand not everything on there is accurate and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Furthermore, I am not having a go at you (I understand you are doing your job), I am having a go at the imcopence of the CRS' and Telstra itself!

I will let you know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Paul

Ben_F

Tis OK Smiley Happy I know faults are frustrating things. Don't forget that I'm also a CSR as well, I just participate here because I don't sleep well of a night Smiley Tongue

That debate was one that I actually agreed with on WP (there aren't many). When I was doing techincal support for another company, I had a customer who decided to go on about the qualfications he had (MCSE, CCNA/CCNP etc.). 30mins later after checking everything else, and it turns out the reason he couldn't connect was because he added a space at the end of his password!

I'm not saying all network admins are like that, but when I was doing Technical Support I used to (almost) smack my head against my desk when I head the words "I'm an IT Professional, and the issue is on your end". In personal experience, it was going back to basics that solved those problems.

BTW: No offence is intended against anyone, just explaining how we feel on the other side of the phone Smiley Happy

B.

PS: Whilst I would love to, I'm told I have too much of an opinion to be on CrowdSupport as a career. I'm simply an Employee thats been around the bush a bit and picks up useful info Smiley Happy

New Users - Click Here!

Snorky

HI Ben,

I had a thought, would it be worth my time upgrading to cable 3.0 (Providing cable is available on my street)?

Only issue I have with cable, I wish not to be forced into a 24 month contract!

If I enter my post code here: http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/actually/?red=/actually, this offer may be available in your area.

I popped my address into the form here: http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability, says cable is currently not available.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Ben_F

The first link is to confirm your in an area where the pricing of the offer is available (as you can only get it in a few places). The  2nd link is the one you need to look at, and if it says no cable, then chances are its not cable Smiley Sad

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Snorky

hey ben,

thanks for that, i thught as much.

Some interesting stats from this morning...

4:45am 31:01/12:

ADSL 
   TypeInterleave Path
   StatusSHOWTIME
   DownstreamUpstream
   Data rate(Kbps)4021721
   Noise Margin1113
   Output power(dBm)4350
   Attenuation(dB)4225

9:00am 31/01/12:

ADSL 
   TypeInterleave Path
   StatusSHOWTIME
   DownstreamUpstream
   Data rate(Kbps)2016719
   Noise Margin1913
   Output power(dBm)12

Attenuation(dB)41

24:

Snorky

Well, after a too many phone calls later. got through to an Aussie who understood the experiences I was having with my connection.

Within 5-10 minutes after the call, my connection magically fixed itself somewhat (to me, sounds like there was an an issue at telstra's end all along).

it's still not %100 but, it is much better than it was (now averaging 800-900Kbps)

I am still monitoring speed drops and droputs, will leave this thread open for now

Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Snorky

Snorky

is there work taking place at the ipswich exchange or somewhere between the exchange and my place?

the last week has been preety good (averaging 900 down, 96 up)

Today, it's pearking around 350 down, 60 up.

What's going on?

ADSL     
   Type     Interleave Path

Status     SHOWTIME
   Downstream     Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)     3593/957
Noise Margin     16/7
Output power(dBm)     12/19

Attenuation(dB)     42/25

Cheers,

Snorky

Snorky
Accepted Solution

ok, it has been a few days since things were fixed, i am very happy (averaging 6.9 down, 900 up)! Smiley Happy

i still have a power issue, i'm thinking it is the modem (I'll be switching it out for a Billion modem)

Massive thanks to the tech who paid a visit last sunday (who know who you are!)

Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Snorky

peedoff1telstra
Level 1: Cadet

it took me 13 weeks to get a technician to fix a line problem ( which took him 20 minutes to find ) but 13 weeks to organise????????? Since then I have requested 6 times since October for confermation of my completion date for my contract. Still Waiting. 

mikeandjan
Level 1: Cadet

why am i paying $100 per month for dial up speed access, I will be requesting my money back and changing to anotrher carrirer. shame on you for providing such poor and deceitful service

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now