Scooty
Level 1: Cadet

Port Forwarding V7610 not working properly

Answered

My client has just recently moved to NBN from DSL. Telstra have installed the new shiny V7610 (a rebadged Netgear) modem / router.

Configured 3 port forwards to allow remote desktop access to the internal devices from the internet

The primary rule external 3389 to internal 3389 works fine

External ports 3391 and 3392 mapped internally to 3389 to the respective devices fail

As per below RDP_DEB works, RDP_JO and RDP_SRV do not. IP's are correct, was woeking perfectly on old modem before we went NBN

#Service NameExternal Start PortExternal End PortInternal Start PortInternal End PortInternal IP address
1iC5428554285542851640216402192.168.16.5
2RDP_DEB3389338933893389192.168.16.100
3iC5319953199531991640216402192.168.16.104
4RDP_JO3392339233893389192.168.16.101
5RDP_SRV3391339133893389192.168.16.2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OldManBasil
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Port Forwarding V7610 not working properly

Resolved !!!

Netgear have supplied new Firmware Release v2.2.16 which resolves this issue.

I have implemented, and tested operation, it actually works now..... finally!

Firmware release only availible from Telstra, and they install from their end.

Be aware though !!! It wipes out complete configuration and modem needs to be configured from scratch.

Make sure you document your configuration before getting Telstra to upgrade modem firmware.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Scooty

I should add an update. I changed the listening port for RDP on the workstation RDP_JO to 3392, updated the Windows firewall to allow incoming connections on 3392. Changed the modem port forward to be 3392 out as well as 3392 in and it works. For some reason it won't translate from one port on the outside to a different port on the inside!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Scooty,

I have sent you a private message asking for more details about the modem in question.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
OldManBasil

Hi Scooty,

Did you / Telstra ever sort this out?  I've found exactly same problem on Teltra Gateway Pro (V7610) as you are reporting. If the Port Forwarding, external and internal ports match, it works fine (eg 3389 to 3389) . But when Port Translation attempted it fails everytime (eg 3400 to 3389). Very annoying, because it means that each PC being used for RDP access in the network needs a hack to the Registry to change Listening Port and Firewall !

Telstra tell me that Port Forwarding to different port number is supported on this model model (with same firmware)

Telstra also tell me that they have tested and it works for them.

Well it's been 7 weeks now that I have been reporting this to them, and still not working !!!!

iiq

Confirming that I have exactly the same issue with V7610 firmware V2.2.1.14 - i.e. that if the internal/external port numbers match on a port-forwarding entry, it works.

If they don't - it does NOT work.

Any word from Telstra or anyone else about this?

OldManBasil
Accepted Solution

Resolved !!!

Netgear have supplied new Firmware Release v2.2.16 which resolves this issue.

I have implemented, and tested operation, it actually works now..... finally!

Firmware release only availible from Telstra, and they install from their end.

Be aware though !!! It wipes out complete configuration and modem needs to be configured from scratch.

Make sure you document your configuration before getting Telstra to upgrade modem firmware.

Quantum-IT

We to are having major issues with the Telstra provided Netgear V7610. Port forwarding will work for a few days and then simply stop working. Only way to allow it to work is to restart the modem every couple of days. We need Telstra to come up with a solution for this as its totally unaceptable. 

If telstra could private message me about this it would be greatly apprechiated. IT would be great if i could get my clients away from a V7610 and to some thing more dependable ... say a DEVG2020.

firmfoundations

Would definitely suggest avoiding the DEVG2020... I found it to be every bit the problem that the V7610 has become.

I was unable to set up port forwards on a V7610 for a client (error: port already in use), which turned out that you cannot use the same internal port for different IP addresses (!). Consequently I needed to change the listen port on half a dozen devices so that I could use different internal ports for each entry.

The best plan I have been able to come up with for nearly every install (assuming that FTTdp is never going to happen and so we won't need G.Fast) that has a V7610 problem is to get a second hand TG799vac (old Gateway Max) from Gumtree/eBay and bridge it to a decent router. The V7610 doesn't have a bridge mode, which is laughable for a 'business' modem... I assume there are plenty of businesses out there that would prefer not to re-do their network topology (firewalls, port forwards, VPNs etc) and put them in the hands of this device and its half baked/neutered firmware.

/dismounts high horse

M34NM0F0

Has anyone got these crap modems to port forward properly?

Second customer has been cut over to NBN and supplied this POS modem.

Can no longer access their DVRs remotely despite setting up port fordarding on the new "modem"

Not "fit for purpose" I'd say.

dcs730
Level 2: Rookie

I too have the same problem - 1x client has two of these V7610 (Different firmware) - They are required to have a VPN setup between two sites.

VPN works ok - But these modems require constant restarting.

Port fowarding to same ports works OK.  ie 3389 to 3389 works OK

Port fowarding from external to a different port does not.  3390 to 3389 DOES NOT WORK.

This is the same for both modems at two different sites - Same symptoms.

Site A - Hardware : V7610  Firmware Ver 2.2.1.22

Site B - Hardware : V7610  Firmware Ver 2.2.1.14

Upgrading the Firmware and wiping out the config is not really an option as Site A is in a remote location with limited hands on tech expertise.

Can the FW be upgraded remotely, then a restart performed keeping the original config?

Can do Site B as local to Perth.

** Other issues found with the V7610**  Hoping the FW Update exists past Ver 2.2.1.22 ?

The number of DHCP Reservations is limited to only 8 entries on Site B modem.

And limited to only 9 entries on the Site A Modem.

What is the current latest version ?

Can anybody confirm 100% whether this latest version fixes the above issues?

What's the best support number to call to obtain the latest firmware revision installed to these v7610's?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Our Business technical support team would be the best team to discuss this with, they can be contacted on  13 29 99

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

dcs730

That was the wrong number : servicenumber@direct.telstra .net support is : 1800 426 701.

Then this support dept cannot directly answer any of the above Q's or have the know how on DHCP Reservations, Port Forwarding or VPN connectivity.

They don't even have access to the internet or external email so I can direct them to the Forum Article.

I have to re-hash the whole issue over the phone.

dcs730

We are still no closer to a soln. No responce from Telstra either. (After their tech support said they would call me back).

Just so it happens, one the 2nd V7610 modems has died, and getting another supplied.

Waiting for a replacement....

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more