CrowdSupport®
gfkeogh
Level 3: Gumshoe

Port Forwarding disabled

Answered

Hello again, I have almost completed configuring my new Gateway Max C6300BD modem and was about to go "live" on it, but I discovered that the Basic View > Services > Port Forwarding screen contains nothing but a disabled text box, there are no controls to add/delete ports. I found the C6300BD manual and the screen shots and instructions not NOT match the screen I'm seeing in my modem.

Without the ability to forward port 80 (and others) to a specific server I will have to back-out and revert to the old ADSL modem. Can anyone explain why my port forwarding screen is useless and doesn't match the manual?

Thanks, Greg

P.S. A recorded message on the 133933 support number says that due to a technical problem there will be an "extended wait" for a reponse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
gfkeogh
Accepted Solution

Re: Port Forwarding disabled

OK folks, I have found the answer and I hope it helps others.

Hours of web searching could not clearly explain why the web interface to my Netgear C6300BD had a disabled port forwarding screen or why it didn't match the Netgear manual or other screen shots. The web screens had obviously been customised by Telstra because their logo was on the screen, but the extent of this customisation was not clear.

The general support person had no clue on this issue whatsoever, so they put me through to a very helpful Platinum support chap (for no charge I hope). He did not have any documentation on the modem's web screens and was therefore apologetic that couldn't offer direct help, but while we were discussing various possibilities I was absent-mindedly clicking around the advanced options of the modem and I clicked the Games tab for the first time to see what it contained (I had previously ignored the Games and Parental tabs as irrelevant to me). The first item in the Games tab is Port Forwarding, with the required controls to make it work.

So it turns out that Telstra has significantly modified and simplified the modem's web interface, and most importantly, they have partly duplicated and moved the port forwarding settings. Other settings have moved as well. By extremely bad luck I had never visited the screen tab containing the moved settings I wanted.

I am suspicious and worried about how Telstra have customised the modem's web UI. The firewall only has "dumb" settings and is not customisable (but I can live with that). So what other features originally in the Netgear have been hidden, moved or dumbed-down?

Cheers, Greg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
gfkeogh
Accepted Solution

Re: Port Forwarding disabled

OK folks, I have found the answer and I hope it helps others.

Hours of web searching could not clearly explain why the web interface to my Netgear C6300BD had a disabled port forwarding screen or why it didn't match the Netgear manual or other screen shots. The web screens had obviously been customised by Telstra because their logo was on the screen, but the extent of this customisation was not clear.

The general support person had no clue on this issue whatsoever, so they put me through to a very helpful Platinum support chap (for no charge I hope). He did not have any documentation on the modem's web screens and was therefore apologetic that couldn't offer direct help, but while we were discussing various possibilities I was absent-mindedly clicking around the advanced options of the modem and I clicked the Games tab for the first time to see what it contained (I had previously ignored the Games and Parental tabs as irrelevant to me). The first item in the Games tab is Port Forwarding, with the required controls to make it work.

So it turns out that Telstra has significantly modified and simplified the modem's web interface, and most importantly, they have partly duplicated and moved the port forwarding settings. Other settings have moved as well. By extremely bad luck I had never visited the screen tab containing the moved settings I wanted.

I am suspicious and worried about how Telstra have customised the modem's web UI. The firewall only has "dumb" settings and is not customisable (but I can live with that). So what other features originally in the Netgear have been hidden, moved or dumbed-down?

Cheers, Greg

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now