CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Gregoir
Level 1: Cadet

Port blocking

Answered

Hi all.

I'm trying to set up a website and host it from home, but have problems. I checked my ports on http://www.myserver.org/legacy/portscan.aspx and noticed no service detected on port 80. I am a bit new to this, and don't know if bigpond blocks port 80 for incoming connections or that something about my setup is failing to provide an active service.

I contacted support by email and they sent me here, saying "The information you require falls beyond our support and limitiations", so with apologies for asking, does anyone know if there is any port blocking?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Port blocking

You will need to open port 80 in your Firewall (both on Computer & Router)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

Port 80 is open on my connection (opened on my Router), but your problem after opening the port and directing it to your web server is that you will have a dynamic IP address (ie it will periodically change).  You will need to set up a DynDNS service to direct a Domain Name to your router.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Gregoir

Yeah, I already did the dynamic dns thing, so that side of things is all good. I suspect that something in my server setup isn't correct, so I'll start working over that today. Thanks for the advice.

Accepted Solution

You will need to open port 80 in your Firewall (both on Computer & Router)

View solution in original post

Gregoir

Thank you so much again. This has fixed the problem. As soon as I followed your advice on opening port 80 everything worked perfectly. I hadn't realised that the port was blocked by default. 

Fishes007

I'm trying to send emails with Microsoft outlook and gmail but both are not working. I used command prompt and both 587 and 465 ports are not working. Went to a webpage called GRC scan and it confirmed that both ports are in stealth which means they are being blocked by Bigpond. Rang bigpond and asked them to open up the ports and they said they can't do this and just said they cant help me. What sort of isp is this that they cant open ports so I can use other email accounts.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Because we don't block the ports, we are not able to unblock them. In fact, our BigPond mailboxes use both of those ports so if we were blocking them, none of our BigPond mailboxes would be able to send emails. 

Are you using a BigPond mailbox? 

What model of modem are you using?

Have you checked your security software to see if there is a setting that is affecting your emails?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now