CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
DM05
Level 2: Rookie

Port forwarding Smart Modem Gen 2 for PS4

Hi,

I've attempted to forward ports for my ps4 with the new smart modem gen 2. When I check if the ports are open they don't show as they are so I wanted to check if I was forwarding correctly.

if the modem has been set to factory settings, I plug an ethernet cable into the ps4, go into modem settings add a static lease for the i.p and its mac address that its created (i've also tried changing the address other than what it auto sets to) go into services then port forwarding, add the ports as necessary i.e tcp wan&lan port 1935 then the static ip and apply. I also turn upnp off.

I restart the modem, input the static ip number and check the ports but they're closed.

I do a custom set up on the ps4 to connect to the modem.

I'm not an expert at any of this or gaming but from playing some shooters and fifa etc you can tell my connection doesn't seem the best generally.

I'm also on cable internet with decent speeds. 100mbps down and around 4.5mbps up.

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Port forwarding Smart Modem Gen 2 for PS4

Have you checked to see if ports are open at a online port checking site such as canyouseeme?

For PS4 the following ports should be port forwarded.

• TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480
  • UDP: 3478-3479
DM05

Thanks for the reply. I have checked ports on this site www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports.
Just tried the one you mentioned and I'm not able to change the ip address from my wan ip address. I checked port 80 anyway and it came back with an error saying - Error: I could not see your service on 144.***** on port (80)
Reason: No route to host
I had a read of your unofficial manual before trying all of this too.

When checking if the port is open the WAN address of your service is used not the LAN address. The modem should then sen the incoming data packet to your device.
I have never seen that error before usually if port forwarding isn't working the error is "Port 80 is closed on 58.xxxx"
DM05

OK no worries. Should I ring Telstra tech support and see what they say?

Telstra support will probably refer you to Telstra platinum who charge a fee for service. If its a problem with modem or Telstra network or they can't solve the problem you should not get charged.

What sort of problems are you having, unless you are have problems chatting on line with other people in the party chat. And you find the PS4 NAT Type Failed when you are testing the Internet connection the problem want be fixed by port forwarding.

DM05

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

Mostly have problems when playing games like Apex, COD or Fortnite etc. party chat has seemed ok I think. When fighting or building and general game play it feels sluggish and slow reaction type things and frequently you press buttons and it won't register in the game. I have a new ps4 pro and monitor so I think those things are ok.
The only comparisons I have are playing these games at other peoples homes and there set ups.
The nat type when I test the connection is 2.

With NAT type two there should not be any problems with game play.
The sort of problems you are describing such as feels sluggish and slow reaction and buttons presses not registering might be due to high latency (ping) and or high packet loss.
A good tool for testing packet loss and latency of your connection is Pingplotter http://www.pingplotter.com/
DM05

I monitor the ping on games and its usually around 25-40. I think that's supposed to be good for casual players. Not sure on the packet loss. I'll check this program out, cheers.
Could the cable adapter be causing any issues between itself and the smart modem?

It is very unlikely that cable adapter would be causing problems between itself and smart modem. If you have the Arcadyan Gen 2 Smart modem and it doesn't have the latest firmware (06.07r) it can cause issues with packet loss. Packet loss above two percent can cause gaming to appear choppy, sluggish, and jerky.

Although 20-40 ms latency is acceptable, the ping you get when you do a speed Test can be much lower than the actual latency between your device and the game server particularly if game sever is overseas. With the ping plotter tool you can measure the latency and packet loss to game server by doing a test to game server.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now