Telstra123
Level 1: Cadet

Ported my number to Telstra and still got charged with previous provider for internet fee

Answered

Hello everyone,

I made an online order to join Telstra NBN and to port my existing home phone number. 

Is Telstra meant to notify my previous provider about me switching over to Telstra as it was porting my number?

How come I still got charged the monthly amount by my previous provider?

ps. my Telstra NBN is now active, but my previous provider service is also active even though I ported the number to Telstra.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Ported my number to Telstra and still got charged with previous provider for internet fee

You'll need to discuss the charge with your previous provider and to see if the services are scheduled to be cancelled.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Ported my number to Telstra and still got charged with previous provider for internet fee

To answer the question, yes, they would have been notified as a part of the porting process, and would know they no longer have the number.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Accepted Solution

You'll need to discuss the charge with your previous provider and to see if the services are scheduled to be cancelled.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Accepted Solution

To answer the question, yes, they would have been notified as a part of the porting process, and would know they no longer have the number.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

purple_scorp
Level 2: Rookie

@Telstra123, I've been waiting for 56 days to have my landline number ported in from Optus, so, at least you are ahead of where I'm at. I'm currently paying Optus for adsl and landline bundle and, I can't even access it anymore. But, I have to keep paying to keep the number available for the port in. Optus have advised me that Telstra has not even made any requests my number yet...as I said, day 56 and counting.

Once the porting of the number is successful, you need to cancel your service with your previous provider.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi purple_scorp,  I can only imagine how frustrating this has become and may I ask if you have a ref # at all for the order you placed to bring your land line over to Telstra please? 

May I also check if the NBN is currently about to be installed in your area which may be having an impact on the move over? You are able to check your location for a status by clicking on https://tel.st/pzz4a

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

purple_scorp

@MammaB which reference number for which order. I've had four orders.

17 Jan 19 - Order 1 - placed by online Telstra sales (but somehow order was for incorrect address and phone number - modem turned up at right address though)

Order 2 - created by Telstra Case Manager to replace Order 1 (but was also for incorrect address and phone number)

Order 3 - created by Telstra TIO Case Manager (included a temp Telstra number which is what the Case Manger said had to happen to get number ported)

NBN installed on 22 Feb 19 but, Telstra did not activate service (don't know why) so I had no phone or internet.

Order 4 - created by Telstra to replace Order 3 because apparently the completed box wasn't checked on Order 3 and it was automatically cancelled.

1 Mar 19 Telstra activated NBN with a temp landline number and I've been waiting ever since to have the Optus number ported in.

12 Mar 19 Telstra TIO Case Manager said I would have to cancel NBN so he could create Order 5 because he says, that's the only way to port number.

I'll give you the SR1 number.  SR1-1884343985162

If you're going to tell me that you'll send a message to the Telstra TIO Case Manager (that's what a heap of other Telstra Agents keep doing), I doubt it will change anything. When I spoke with him last, he said he was going to hang up because the conversation was going in circles because, I would not accept that after waiting for 44 days to have NBN connected, that I would now, some 10 days later need to cancel the NBN service to get the number ported in.

You've had four orders and attempts to get it right. I'm not going to stick around Telstra for a fifth order.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi purple_scorp,

I can appreciate your frustration and disappointment with this experience around your order to have your number ported.

It's disappointing to read that the connection was processed without your number having been ported. In this situation the case manager is correct in needing to place a new order for your connection with the porting as this is the process needed to request the number from the other provider.

I hope that this is completed soon and your number connected as you've requested. We understand that delays like this are frustrating and we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.

Keep us in the loop how you go.
-Ern

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

purple_scorp

@Ernest999, the Case Manager continues to contradict himself. When he created Order number 3, he told me that the only way to get the number ported in was to create a new order with a temporary Telstra number. Which is exactly what he did.

Now, he's saying, the only way to get the number ported in is to create a new order with the new number.

So, this will be order number five. Another Telstra agent created a separate telephone plan and said the number could be ported that way but, I believe the order has not progressed.

Why do I have to cancel my nbn service though? Each time a new order has been placed, it hasn't been expedited. I've gone to the back of the queue. The Case Manager told me this time, there was no guarantee of how quickly the order would be processed.

I would think because a) i've already been waiting for 56 days and b) I have an open TIO complaint that Telstra would have some way of putting me at the front of the queue.

Two Telstra agents have tried to push the order through a different way but said they needed special authority to over-ride one field and they didn't have.

Surely someone at Telstra has that authority.

With every one of the four orders, I have specified that I wanted my Optus number ported in. I gave the number and the account details. Four times....and, each time, Telstra has not created the order with the port in number.
Fink63

If you still have problems
Call the telecommunications ombudsman
purple_scorp

I lodged a TIO complaint against Telstra on 31 January. I keep updating the ticket through the online service and the TIO have replied saying they have a backlog of cases to get through and a case manager will soon be allocated.

Today is day 63 and I'm still waiting for my number to be ported (so, I'm still paying Optus to keep the number alive).

I also had a TIO complaint against Optus (which I logged the week before I logged the Telstra complaint) and I was allocated a case manager for that complaint two days ago. I'm hoping that the allocation of a case manager to my Telstra complaint is not far away.
purple_scorp

Well, it's day 63 and my number has still not been ported.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi purple_scorp, I can assure you that a Case Manager shall be assigned and be able to investigate this and what needs to be done asap. You should be contacted personally by this person to address this in more detail. They shall also be able to look at any possible future adjustments if required to your account. It shall normally be between 4-5 Business Days for the Case Manager to investigate your complaint, look at how to obtain the best resolution and then make contact with you.

purple_scorp

Thanks. A Telstra case manager was assigned this case on 12 February. This is day 38 since he picked up my case. It's well and truly been more than the 5 business days.

Support Team
Support Team

I am sorry you have been awaiting contact. I have contacted our Complaints Management Team directly and requested this be investigated and you contacted asap. Once again I do apologise.

Fink63

As long as what you have done
Is correct
The results will be in your favour I’m telling you it’s the best way to get them to fix it
As soon as I strike a problem with any service providers and it’s not getting response I need I send a complaint to the ombudsman for that company
And have always had the problem fixed

They have said they have already done that.
Helpful Links

Highlighted
purple_scorp

@Fink63 I opened a TIO complaint against Telstra on 31 Jan 19.

purple_scorp

@DrQ, thanks, you are correct. I opened my TIO complaint on 31 Jan 19.
kalidah

I can understand your frustration, quite a few years ago we switched from Optus to Telstra for broadband (ADSL at the time) and phone near the start of the billing month.

The new Telstra modem turned up after 3 days but Optus cut our internet off after 2 days and after calling Telstra they said it would take a week to connect our service Smiley Surprised

So despite multiple phone calls to both we were without internet and home phone for a week which caused no end of hassles for my missus in particular as she's self-employed and relies on the computer for work, then to top it off at the end of the month we got a bill from Optus for the whole months access despite them having cut it off after 2 days from me signing up with Telstra!

Took quite a few calls and nasty emails to get the $ back out of Optus and even got some credit from Telstra for the lack of service eventually Smiley Wink

Still, it was a lot of stress and aggravation for something that should have been quite simple from my point of view! What is even more annoying is having to go through everything again with a new person whenever you contact them Smiley Sad

At least now that I usually only use the 24x7 Chat it's all written down and I don't have to repeat everything with someone in a call centre overseas who has limited English skills!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now