CrowdSupport®
newbie-at-nbn
Level 1: Cadet

Porting landline to isp as voip

Answered

I want to port existing Telstra landline phone number to ISP to use as VOIP on NBN.
I am getting conflicting advice from Telstra and the ISP on how to proceed. ISP says I need to get Telstra to do EBD on phone number than they can than arrange for NBN connection. Telstra informs that ISP just needs my Account number and phone to facilitate the conversion. Is there a solution as I don't want to lose the number during the conversion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ghostman11
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Porting landline to isp as voip

Hi @newbie-at-nbn 

You'll have to connect with your ISP or the service provider in order to request the post as it has to be always the winning service provider to request the loosing service provider to port the number to their network

Hence, in this case, Telstra cannot help you to request a number to be ported out of its network to an another service provider.

Please get in touch with your ISP.

Hope this helps.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's. Please mark the response "Answered" if I was able to answer your query in anyway.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Ghostman11
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Hi @newbie-at-nbn 

You'll have to connect with your ISP or the service provider in order to request the post as it has to be always the winning service provider to request the loosing service provider to port the number to their network

Hence, in this case, Telstra cannot help you to request a number to be ported out of its network to an another service provider.

Please get in touch with your ISP.

Hope this helps.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's. Please mark the response "Answered" if I was able to answer your query in anyway.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
newbie-at-nbn
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Ghostman 11,

Why would I need to get an Exchange Based Diversion as requested by the ISP? It is the sticking point as they believe this prevents loss of my phone number. From what I have seen and read this shouldn't be the case for porting a landline.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now