CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Zenithede
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Problems with 101 ip addresses on ultimate

Answered

hi there,

Since upgrading to ultimate (which is fantastic) I have noticed that I have been assigned an ip address from telstra that is in the 101 range. After doing some research on whilrpool, it appears that most users on ultimate have received the same ip address except for people living in sydney who for some reason have been assigned addresses in the 60 range.

Unfortunately I have found that some services don't appear to work with these new 101 addresses. I can no longer get foxtel via xbox to work as it comes up with an error. Other people have reported issues with tbox (although that one may have resolved itself now) and the most recent one is issues with games such as Halo. The game servers cannot validate addresses in the 101 range.

I guess I'm wondering if this is something that Telstra can fix, or if it is something to do with the providers themselves. Surely with a service such as Foxtel, some prior warning would have been given that customers may be moved to the 101 range and their systems updated accordingly.

I am having a lot of trouble getting this information to the right people, so just thought I would try my luck at making a thread on crowd support.

If any of you are having problems associated with the 101 addresses, feel free to leave your experiences here.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Problems with 101 ip addresses on ultimate

For clarity the foxtel on xbox 360 issue has been rectified but there is still investigations and validation work being done on the other issues raised in this thread.

I will post an update again as soon as I'm aware.

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

There has also just been an update to the Bigpond IP ranges. Customers who had trouble accessing the Bigpond Videos and Foxtel On-Demand should be able to do so now (you will need to do a power cycle however).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
figjam
Level 1: Cadet

I have a 101 address in Adelaide, and cannot watch any Foxtel on demand programs on T-box.

Level 21: Augmented

someone somewhere hasn't updated some router address tables to accommodate a new IP range by the sounds of it
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Zenithede

Jolkin, you're one of the few people around here that actually sounds as though they know what they are talking about.

Do you think this is a foxtel issue or a telstra issue? Who should we be speaking to to get this update to happen?

There's one bloke over at whirlpool who is trying get downgraded back to his old speeds just so that he can continue his service. That is a bit ridiculous.
jeffy83
Level 6: Bloodhound

I agree with jokiin on this one. It seems like the new IP range does not have routes installed in core devices. This means that when packets go to flow back to your Xbox/Tbox/*box the routers don't know where to push the packets to reach you.

If you've got a Tbox you'd need to raise it with TBOX support so they can confirm its an issue. For others I'm not entirely sure but BPA support might be your best bet. (BPA = BigPond Australia).

Jeffy
-The Cisco Kid -
-did this help - give kudos, it's an e-High5 for forums-

@Zenithede wrote:

Do you think this is a foxtel issue or a telstra issue? Who should we be speaking to to get this update to happen?

couldn't say for sure, could be a routing issue on Telstra's side but could just as easily be a permissions issue on Foxtel's side (maybe even both) and quite a possibility that whatever needs to be done has been done but has failed in the process somewhere, I'm sure the network architecture is quite involved, not being able to access some sites since the change might sway it a bit more toward it being a Telstra issue though

personally I'd be inclined to report it to both anyway

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zenithede

personally I'd be inclined to report it to both anyway

reporting as an error seems to be the problem. I get put through to tech support everytime who tell me they have no idea. If I could find a service to 'report' an error I'd be happy.

I don't need someone in Manila, I need a solution!

perhaps try here http://tinyurl.com/24x7-service
Zenithede

yeah, I have made the chat service aware of it once already.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I have now escalated this issue to be investigated further.

I will update as soon as new information becomes available.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Zenithede

@Joe_Telstra wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I have now escalated this issue to be investigated further.

I will update as soon as new information becomes available.

Thanks Joe,

If you need further info, I can provide you with links to other forums where people outline their issues. In a nutshell-

• no foxtel via xbox
  • interruptions with some games (including halo)
  • no foxtel via tbox

Those are the main issues so far.

I had a lengthy discussion with xbox support and they said that they are 'looking into' the halo issue to see if there is anything they can do about it. I'm guessing the other 2 have something to do with foxtel directly.

figjam

@Zenithede wrote:
yeah, I have made the chat service aware of it once already.

Telstra chat didnt want a bar of it. They said that it is a technical support issue, which they cannot help with.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks Joe,

If you need further info, I can provide you with links to other forums where people outline their issues. In a nutshell-

• no foxtel via xbox
  • interruptions with some games (including halo)
  • no foxtel via tbox

Those are the main issues so far.

I had a lengthy discussion with xbox support and they said that they are 'looking into' the halo issue to see if there is anything they can do about it. I'm guessing the other 2 have something to do with foxtel directly.

Hi Zenithede,

Thanks for providing us with more info and if you can provide links that would be great so we can address them as soon as we get more information and update about this issue.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Zenithede

Hi Joe,

Can't post some links, because they won't work at work...but if you have a look here you'll get the picture....
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1842289
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1843612
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1820741

Cheers,
Zenithede

Oh and just as an addition. I did some test over the weekend to prove that it was the 101 ip that was causing the problem.

I enabled my iphone to be a personal hotspot (when it was connected to the 3g network with a 60? ip) and the foxtel service worked fine,

Went back to my wired ultimate connection with an ip of 101 and no dice.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

On this like a wild rash. Stay tuned for an update once the engineers investigate.

Gareth
Zenithede

Gareth wrote:
On this like a wild rash. Stay tuned for an update once the engineers investigate.

Gareth

Excellent.. Hopefully you can find a cream to clear that rash up Smiley Wink

Zenithede

Was hoping to hear some more detail from the tech team before COB today, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

A user over in whirlpool who has been contacted via foxtel seems to think that the service is back online though, so that is a good start...

figjam

@Zenithede wrote:

Was hoping to hear some more detail from the tech team before COB today, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

A user over in whirlpool who has been contacted via foxtel seems to think that the service is back online though, so that is a good start...

just tested mine in Adelaide, and no change yet...

Zenithede

Can Gareth or anyone give us an update on the situation?

I can confirm that I received an email from foxtel telling me that the issue with the xbox is fixed.

I can also confirm that when I tested it last night via my xbox the sample channel worked fine (it didn't work when I was first switched to ultimate).

It appears that the gamers are getting no love with Halo as yet.

Is anyone able to provide a little more info on exactly whose problem it was and how it was fixed?

Cheers,

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

For clarity the foxtel on xbox 360 issue has been rectified but there is still investigations and validation work being done on the other issues raised in this thread.

I will post an update again as soon as I'm aware.

Zenithede

Thanks Gareth.

As mentioned previously I can confirm that the issue with xbox live foxtel was definitely fixed on Monday.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

There has also just been an update to the Bigpond IP ranges. Customers who had trouble accessing the Bigpond Videos and Foxtel On-Demand should be able to do so now (you will need to do a power cycle however).

Zenithede

@Gareth wrote:

Ah ha! Well that is interesting.

Zenithede

Are the new addresses still in the 101 range Gareth?
figjam

@Zenithede wrote:
Are the new addresses still in the 101 range Gareth?

Just rebooted the modem, and still have a 101.166.x.x address, but foxtel on demand is working again!

Zenithede

Looks as though the issues with the halo servers have fixed themselves up also

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit