CrowdSupport®
TurboT
Level 1: Cadet

Problems with WebRTC

I am on NBN FTTP in a new sub division and have a Ubiquiti camera system which uses WebRTC for remote viewing. It works fine in the house on the connected network but is unworkable slow on any external network or 4G connection. I've been told this might be caused by IP address sharing by Telstra. Any clues?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Problems with WebRTC

The problem could be due to low NBN upload link speed. Have you checked the speed of your connection at an online site such as https://www.speedtest.net/ ? You also need a fast 4G connection on the device you are using to remotely view the camera stream.

The WebRTC test at https://test.webrtc.org/ will show if there is something else causing the problem.

TurboT

Yes I've already checked the up and down load speed and they are both close to the 50/20 package I'm on. I'll check out the WebRTC link you've given me.  Thanks. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @TurboT

Just checking back in to see how you went and ask if there is any further help or support needed?

-Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TurboT

Hi Stef,

I did the WebRTC test and it failed on Reflexivity and IPv6 connectivity.  I do not understand what this means however so I am non the wiser.  I do not know if I have an issue with the Telstra modem, my Ubiquiti set up or the Telstra network itself.  I have been told that due to a shortage of IP addresses Telstra (and others) use shared addresses which causes problems particularly for gamers but may also be the issue with WebRTC applications.  I have spent a lot of money on my CCTV system based on recommendations that Ubiquiti is a premium product but at the moment it is all but useless.  Any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted

Telstra only uses shared IP address on Mobile broadband connections. All fixed line broadband connections have there on unique IP address which is not shared.

IPv6 is the new address standard taking over from IPv4 which is running out of address. Most Telstra connections have an IPv6 address. Check that LAN IPv6 is enabled. To do this log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1 password is Telstra) on the Technicolor gateway go to Advanced > Local Network and ensure IPv6 is enabled. On the Arcadyan modem you will probably find the setting in Advanced > Local Network > Local Network-IPv6

If you have an Arcadyan modem (LH1000) that might be causing your WebRTC problems as it does not support NAT loopback

TurboT

I have the Technicolor gateway and IPv6 was already enabled but the DNS servers were not identified.  I tried picking some from the dropdown list, but it made no difference at all.

So I'm stumped again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now