CrowdSupport®
TurboT
Level 2: Rookie

Problems with WebRTC

I am on NBN FTTP in a new sub division and have a Ubiquiti camera system which uses WebRTC for remote viewing. It works fine in the house on the connected network but is unworkable slow on any external network or 4G connection. I've been told this might be caused by IP address sharing by Telstra. Any clues?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Problems with WebRTC

The problem could be due to low NBN upload link speed. Have you checked the speed of your connection at an online site such as https://www.speedtest.net/ ? You also need a fast 4G connection on the device you are using to remotely view the camera stream.

The WebRTC test at https://test.webrtc.org/ will show if there is something else causing the problem.

TurboT

Yes I've already checked the up and down load speed and they are both close to the 50/20 package I'm on. I'll check out the WebRTC link you've given me.  Thanks. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @TurboT

Just checking back in to see how you went and ask if there is any further help or support needed?

-Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TurboT

Hi Stef,

I did the WebRTC test and it failed on Reflexivity and IPv6 connectivity.  I do not understand what this means however so I am non the wiser.  I do not know if I have an issue with the Telstra modem, my Ubiquiti set up or the Telstra network itself.  I have been told that due to a shortage of IP addresses Telstra (and others) use shared addresses which causes problems particularly for gamers but may also be the issue with WebRTC applications.  I have spent a lot of money on my CCTV system based on recommendations that Ubiquiti is a premium product but at the moment it is all but useless.  Any help would be appreciated.

Telstra only uses shared IP address on Mobile broadband connections. All fixed line broadband connections have there on unique IP address which is not shared.

IPv6 is the new address standard taking over from IPv4 which is running out of address. Most Telstra connections have an IPv6 address. Check that LAN IPv6 is enabled. To do this log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1 password is Telstra) on the Technicolor gateway go to Advanced > Local Network and ensure IPv6 is enabled. On the Arcadyan modem you will probably find the setting in Advanced > Local Network > Local Network-IPv6

If you have an Arcadyan modem (LH1000) that might be causing your WebRTC problems as it does not support NAT loopback

TurboT

I have the Technicolor gateway and IPv6 was already enabled but the DNS servers were not identified.  I tried picking some from the dropdown list, but it made no difference at all.

So I'm stumped again.

Snail_D3

Hi, I'm having the same issue as you are and seem like I'm just as far along the investigating path as you but you have a little more info here for me. I have both a UCKG2+ and NVR appliance from Ubiquity along with Smart Modem and FTTC connection. I have NBN Box to Smart Modem to rest of network and streaming is non existent when remote connected on my iPhone. I found out today that I can successfully stream from both the UCKG2+ and NVR if I disconnect the NBN connection device cable and allow the smart modem to fallback to 4g backup. Although the 4G backup is slow it still allows steaming of live view. If connect the NBN connection device back in and in on FTTC again live streaming stops from an iphone on 4g. If I take all of the NVR and camera equipment to my work (Telstra Business Fibre) it all works perfectly.

Sorry for the quick ramble, I'm happy to find someone else investigating the issue and like you peaved I spent thousands of dollars on equipment that is limited by my NBN connection.

I'll keep in touch and please do the same if you find anything.

Thanks.

Snail_D3

@TurboT wrote:

IP address sharing by Telstra. Any clues?

Hi @TurboT I may have found a solution. After reading the bit above I called Telstra and arranged a Static IP address. I seem to be up and running again. I can access the NVR and Protect from remote networks or iPhone and successfully live view, playback recording, timelapse and so on. Maybe give it a go to see if it fixes your issues too. Goodluck.

TurboT

Hi @Snail_D3 ,

Thank you so much for your post.  At last some light at the end of the tunnel.   I have been forwarding ports like crazy, disconnecting this, that and the other but have had no success at all.  Are you using a Ubiquiti USG in your system?  I was told that using the USG and Telstra modem could be causing "double NATing" - so I took it out, but it changed nothing.

I will try the static IP with Telstra and see how I go.

Cheers.

Snail_D3

HI @TurboT ,

Yes I use a full Unifi setup including USG, Switch, AP's, CKG2+ (Cloudkey, NVR) and cameras. I tried just about everything I could to get this issue fixed. I moved the USG in front and behind the Telstra Modem (Double NAt or not), connected the NVR directly to the Telstra modem with an old POE switch and removed the USG and rest of the network, tried multiple different Ubiquiti accounts and even bought a CKG2+ and setup Unifi Protect. It didn't matter what I did nothing would change the poor performance when trying to view live on either Unifi Protect or Unifi Video from a remote network.

I took the NVR and Cameras to my workplace and connected them there and it work perfectly as expected so I knew it wasn't an issue with the hardware but didn't know where else to look. As a test I disconnected the cable (back at home) between the NBN Box and Telstra Box and let the Telstra box go to 4G backup and it started to work. I was a bit enthusiastic but still couldn't work it out. I even factory defaulted every network device (USG, Switch, AP's NVR, CKG2+, Cameras, NBN Box, Telstra Box) and completly reconigured my entire network but still same results.

I tried Telsra support and was told, in many more words, that if it is only one service I can't access and the rest of the internet browsing was fine then it's not really their problem to fix.
I was on the same WEBRTC path as you and told by Unifi support (who I had been working with throughout) that sometimes when trying to get a connection it doesn't work and NVR and receiving device have to use a TURN relay leavig the communication path quite slow. I was told to try a L2TP VPN but when reading a bit I was concerned because some VPN providers actively drop WEBRTC due to concerns about it leaking their users real IP address. Thats when I started googling all sorts of randon searches and found your post and some others, that also have Ubiquiti cameras, when looking for 'Telstra NBN Blocking WEBRTC'. It was your post reading 'might be caused by IP address sharing by Telstra' and another about 'Symetrical NAT and WEBRTC connectivity issues' that started me thinking about gettings a static IP.

And the rest is now history. Unifi Video and Unifi Protect now work as expected from both my local network and from a remote network. I can stream live view on both, view recordings or timelapse/timeline from local or remote networks. It just works!

I am currently connected with NBN Box to Telstra Box to USG to Rest of the network including NVR's. The Telstra Box has a DMZ (had this previously too) set for the USG so all data has a uninterupted path straight to the USG for processing meaning I still have landline and 4G backup working on the Telstra Box.

I hope a static IP works for you too. Please post back your results as I would like to know.

BTW I had to power cycle the NBN and Telstra Box to get it to take up the static IP and don't forget to wait for the email saying the order is complete.

Goodluck.

TurboT

Great advice @Snail_D3 and sounding very promising.  I have ordered my static IP today and await the e-mail.  I currently do not have my USG connected as another problem it caused was dropping the voip line every 15 minutes and 8 seconds.  Some IT guys at work said that might be caused by the IP address/lease being refreshed - maybe that will be fixed too.  I will let you know.  Thanks again for your help. :-) 

Snail_D3

@TurboT How did it go? Is it smooth sailing or do you still have problems with live view from remote networks? 

TurboT

Hi @Snail_D3 , I'm afraid I've had a major disappointment.  I got my fixed IP, rebooted everything but there was no change at all.  At this stage I did not have my USG in the mix at all, just the Telstra modem, CKG2+, USW and Ubiquiti AP's.  I tried putting the modem into DMZ as you had mentioned this but again no change.  I had done a lot of port forwarding in the Telstra modem after reading other articles but whether these were activated or not it made no difference.

So this weekend I reinstalled the USG, first behind the Telstra modem and then in front of it and after a lot of restarting and mucking about it was finally up and running again and the USG was recognising the fixed IP but still Unifi Protect is diabolically slow on an external network.

I'm really at the end of my tether.  Did you set up any port forwarding or any settings specific to the fixed IP?  I just don't know what to do next.  Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

A very depressed TurboT

Dash10
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Guys,

I have the exact same equipment - USG, Switch, AP's, CKG2+ and cameras. This setup worked perfectly while I was on ADSL. However as soon I moved over to FTTC NBN, remote viewing unifi protect from either the app or website has become painfully slow. The only change has been swapping the bridged modem with the NBN FTTC modem.

In testing the 4G backup from the Telstra router works. So I can only assume that this issue is specific to NBN connections. I am very interested in finding a solution that doesn't require paying for a static IP.

Shaun62

I have the 100/40 nbn too with a USG-Pro-4 & Cloud key gen2+ & static ip with the same problem. Only way i can get around it is VPN into my internal network and restart unifi protect.

Snail_D3

@Dash10 It sounds like you are in the exact same spot I was before I changing to a Static IP. Protect would work on external networks when the Telstra Modem goes to 4G backup then as soon as you plug the NBN device back in it runs poorly again. 

When I was at this point the techs at Unifi Support suggested to setup a L2TP VPN. I started looking into it and reading about some VPN providers actively dropping WEBRTC traffic data due to fears your actual IP address was being leaked in the data. That's when I ordered a static IP that fixed it for me so I didn't go any further with the VPN setup. I don't have a VPN account with a provider but I do have the basis of a VPN configuration within the USG settings.

Could you try setting up a VPN on the USG only (do not arrange a VPN provider yet) in the same way I have. This is the only other thing that has changed between Unifi Protect not working and Protect working well. I have assumed it did nothing because it's not even setup fully.

Create a new Radius Profile

Name- L2TP (use whatever you want)

VLAN Support - Tick both wired and wireless options

Radius Auth Server- 192.168.1.1 ( or you USG gateway address), Port- 1812, Password - create one.

Then 

Create a new Network

Name - L2TP Nord VPN (use whatever you want)

Purpose - Remote User

VPN Type - L2TP

Gateway- 192.168.2.0/24

Network IP Count, Range & Pool - Automatically Set

Name Server - Auto

Wins - Not Ticked

Site-to-Site - Not Ticked

Profile - Select Profile previously created

Save.

Fingers crossed...  :-)  ........ And?

Did it do anything? I suspect not but you never know.

Snail_D3

@Shaun62

Can I clarify. Unifi Protect has poor performance ONLY when viewing on an external network too. Then when it does you restart Unifi Protect and it works again and you have good performance when viewing from an external network? How long does it last with good performance on external networks?

Are you restarting just the Protect service or the full CKG2+?

Is the poor performance only when viewing from remote networks? or is it poor when viewing locally too?

I recall issues with Protect and memory leaks consuming lots of memory and a restart was the only way to fix it.

@TurboT wrote:

I have the Technicolor gateway and IPv6 was already enabled but the DNS servers were not identified.  I tried picking some from the dropdown list, but it made no difference at all.

So I'm stumped again.

Did you reboot the modem after selecting a different DNS and did you select both a IPv6 and IPv4 DNS?

Shaun62

hi, by restarting unifi protect, i meant restarting the unifi protect on the android app. after connecting via a vpn to my local network, the app works as normal as connecting to it at home.

about the speed, yes i have the same slow connection speed if trying to access protect externally without a vpn

Snail_D3

@Shaun62 

Ahh, I see. So you solution was to use a VPN like the Unifi Support guys suggested for me to try. Thanks.

TurboT

Yes and Yes.  I've rebooted everything numerous times but it makes no difference.

TurboT

Hi @Snail_D3 I will try this.  I actually have a VPN but I don't know how to set it up in the USG.

Dash10

@Shaun62 Using a VPN does appear to be the only work around.

@Snail_D3 I have setup the L2TP VPN as suggested and can confirm once I have established a VPN connection with the phone, protect works perfectly. 

Thanks everyone for their help with this. Unfortunately, this is still a work around and doesn't answer the question why protect won't work properly with a Telstra NBN connection.

Shaun62

its more then likely NBN Modem (HFC for me) or the NBN network blocking WebRTC as my USG Pro is directly connected to the NBN modem (no Telstra modem in the middle)

Snail_D3

@Dash10 wrote:

@Shaun62 Using a VPN does appear to be the only work around.

@Snail_D3 I have setup the L2TP VPN as suggested and can confirm once I have established a VPN connection with the phone, protect works perfectly. 

Thanks everyone for their help with this. Unfortunately, this is still a work around and doesn't answer the question why protect won't work properly with a Telstra NBN connection.

@TurboT wrote:

Hi @Snail_D3 I will try this.  I actually have a VPN but I don't know how to set it up in the USG.

I dont actually have a VPN service at all. All I have is the L2TP VPn setting details entered into the USG. I do not have a VPN provider and I do not have a VPN connecting my network to the outside world at all. 

All I am suggesting to do is put the VPN settings into the USG without the actual VPN provider. That is the only other difference in my USG settings other than changing to a Static IP. I doubt it does anything but you never know.  

TurboT

Hi again @Snail_D3 I set up the Radius profile and new network just as you described, rebooted usg and CKG2 but still no change.

Snail_D3

@TurboT 

That's a bummer.

How do you have it setup at the moment?

It sounds like you have tried many many changes. Do you have much custom configuration in your network setup?

Can you try a known state of:

• NBN Box --> Telstra Modem WAN. Telstra Modem LAN --> USG WAN1. USG LAN 1 to rest of you network? 
  • Then set a DMZ in the Telstra modem for the USG to create a clear path straight through the Telstra Modem directly to the USG. (I assume you do not have anything else connected to the Telstra Modem either wired or wireless)
  • If you have any port forwards related to Unifi Protect or Video in either the Telstra Modem or USG remove/disable them.
  • Reboot the lot, any difference?

Unifi Protect doesn't require any port forwarding to work properly and there are no specific settings for the Static IP.

My understanding of the slow streaming on external networks is that Ubiquiti use WEBRTC to help create a direct connection between the viewing device and the Unifi Protect server on the CKG2+ through any firewalls at each end. Part of WEBRTC uses ICE/STUN to broker the connection through firewalls whereby each end send their details (external IP and port Number) so a direct connection can be established between the viewing device and the Unifi Protect server on your CKG2+. Somewhere in this process either the incorrect details are being exchanged or it is failing in some other way but ICE/STUN doesn't work so it reverts to a TURN relay for connection and apparently, they can be slow... Very Slow. And that is what you are seeing as slow performance on external networks.

Finding out why ICE/STUN fails I think is the fix for this and in my case, a Static IP seems to have fixed it. I assumed the same for other but I don’t know now.

This is not my field of expertise but I, like everyone here too, was annoyed I had spent a lot of money on a great product that I couldn’t rely on outside of my home – which was motly what I had installed it for.

Things I have looked at so far.

Double NAT (using 2 routers at home) IE Telstra Modem and USG.

• With double NAT it can cause problems for devices behind the second router (USG) to work out and advertise what External WAN IP they are at.
  • Either remove the First (Telstra) Modem or try a DMZ setting to basically bypass it.
  • Double NAT doesn't seem to fix Or cause the issue for me.

Symmetrical NAT (a NAT type used by ISP)

• This is the explanation that caught my attention.
  • "If you ask two different STUN servers for your public IP address a symmetric NAT will give you the same IP address (hopefully) but different ports. We need a TURN server to get out of this mess as in general, symmetric NATs don’t allow the establishment of a direct connection."
  • 4G networks do not USE a Symetrical NAT but I believe Telstra NBN does.

Static IP Address

• My view on this is that I am now on a completely different IP range therefore I am also routed through different internet routers etc and possible no longer stuck with a Symmetrical NAT.
  • Or when STUN exchanes details it is easier to find mine because it's static??

Port Forwarding

• Portforwading create a predefined hole in your firewall. WEBRTC doesn’t know or care about this and tries to go about creating it’s own access through your firewall.
  • Portforwarding with Unifi Video fixes the problem because by entering your home external IP address and port you are accessing directly straight through your firewall. WEBRTC isn’t involved at all.

Internet Speed

• I think we all agree that internet upload or download speed doesn’t cause this issue in these cases. Even with very very slow upload or download speeds things like the thumbnails and timestamps still update whereas with this issue everything seems to stop including the live streaming.

I am happy to share/compare support files or help work through it with people here. I have support files with successfully WEBRTC connections to compare where previously I didn't have successful WEBRTC Connections in the files.

Snail_D3

@TurboT wrote:

Hi again @Snail_D3 I set up the Radius profile and new network just as you described, rebooted usg and CKG2 but still no change.

@TurboT 

As I thought. Thats why I hadn't bother saying about it. I'll delete it from mine too and report any changes.

Have you confirmed you are advertising your actual external Static IP by googling What is My IP. Does it show the same IP as listed in the Static IP confirmation email from Telstra?

Don't post the IP address here.

TurboT

Hi @Snail_D3 - yes I am advertising the correct static IP.

I am going to revert my set up to your suggested configuration.  I didn't have time at the weekend, unfortunately there are about a million other things to do in a new house.  I will post how I get on.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Snail_D3

@TurboT wrote:

Hi @Snail_D3 - yes I am advertising the correct static IP.

Cheers.

I Just recalled another thing I discussed with Telstra along the journey.

Telstra Broadband Protect. It blocks access to malicious website and such and I think it is now included standard on NBN plans. Although I never set it up, I had this completely removed (not just lowered protection) from my account addons back in August, well before the problems was fixed for me though. I think you can do it yourself at the Telstra Account Page.

Here is some info.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/security/how-to-use-network-protection

TurboT

Thanks again @Snail_D3 I'll look into that too.

Chooksta1

I am suffering from the exact same issue! I am on FTTP NBN100 on Telstra within Melbourne and outgoing WebRTC traffic seems to be getting blocked or throttled with my Ubiquiti gear. Using a VPN instantly fixes my issues but that should not be the permanent solution here.

I too am using a Static IP and my Telstra Broadband Protect is not on my account. I am certain there is an issue on a external Telstra Router or Switch which is causing this problem however, Telstra support does not understand the issue I am reporting to them when I speak to them over the phone. 

Any further help here would be greatly appreciated, or better yet, a response from a Telstra rep on how to escalate this further.

Snail_D3

@Chooksta1 

I believe that a VPN works because your traffic isn't being routed through Telstra's network therefore it isn't subject to their Symetrical NAT'ing.

The more I look into it and read up I believe this is the root cause.

@Snail_D3 wrote:

Symmetrical NAT (a NAT type used by ISP)

• This is the explanation that caught my attention.
  • "If you ask two different STUN servers for your public IP address a symmetric NAT will give you the same IP address (hopefully) but different ports. We need a TURN server to get out of this mess as in general, symmetric NATs don’t allow the establishment of a direct connection."
  • 4G networks do not USE a Symetrical NAT but I believe Telstra NBN does.

You should be able to see evidence of this taking place in you Protect Logs showing log lines with reference to TURN. 

Somewhere along the way Symmetrical NAT gets in the way (by swapping port numbers around) of WEBRTC trying to broker a direct connection between the server (Your Protect installation on the CKG2+) and the client (Your Phone/Tablet/PC on a remote network). Direct connection fails so as a last resort it uses the TURN relay to relay the live/recorded video data between the server and the client (Protect Server to Turn Relay to Client) rather than the server sending it directly to the client (Protect Server to Client). 

This explains Symetrical NAT and how communication fails.

https://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2011/09/19/symmetric-nat/

And those wanting to read a bit more about NAT types and NAT Traversal.

https://doc-kurento.readthedocs.io/en/6.9.0/knowledge/nat.html

As to why mine was fixed with a static IP I don't know exactly. I'm on FTTC and both of you are FTTP so maybe there is something different with the Telstra/NBN/Fibre Provider network setup for FTTP vs FTTC (other than the obvious).

Also I don't understand that if I was subject to Symmetrical NAT issues before I changed to a Static IP, why my PLEX server and kids XBOX have never had any problems or related issues. PLEX uses WEBRTC and many people have issues with their XBOX reporting a Symetrical NAT along with the game connection issues that come with it.

I read on another forum about customers of another ISP requesting a change to their NAT type due to issues whilst gaming. I'm not sure if Telstra can do this too or whether it applies here or not.

Ubiquiti Support are aware and taking support files from anyone affected to see if there is something they can change to help fix the issue.

@Chooksta1 

Do you have 4G backup with your Telstra router?? If you unplug the NBN cable from the Telstra Router and it falls back to 4G backup, does Unifi Protect work when trying to access from a remote network?

Goodluck. I'll keep writing things here in the hope that something works or someone more knowledgeable works it out and there is a full solution for people. Or maybe even a Telstra rep can join in and provide further information to their network structure. I understand the feeling of spending heaps of money on a product or products that are limited in how you can use them.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now