CrowdSupport®
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: Very slow ADSL2+ but only 1km from exchange.

Answered

Is there a way to find out if the exchange I am on has ADSL2+ capability.

I was told on the phone that although I only moved apartments, (same building) I was unable to be connected to ADSL2+.

Seems abit strange that I had 2+ but now cant. The only cable change is internal to my building. Surely I should still be able to have ADSL2+

My exchange is Darwin City.

I'm realy not happy with the speed I currently have. For the price, I'm better off looking at leaving Bigpond.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Update:

Dan found a fault in my connection and had it fixed. I was still on ADSL and no ports were available for 2+. I noticed a slightly better connection.

Then...

I lost my phone line and interned last thursday. I flipped a PM to Dan and asked him to look into it. I'm not sure what the problem, but he made a few calls on my behalf and I'm now connected at 21758kbps.

So a massive thanks goes to Dan and James the techie who have sorted my connection for me.

I'm more than pleased with the result!

Thanks also to the other Telstra and non-telstra guys who offered advice and help.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Re: Very slow ADSL2+ but only 1km from exchange.

Yeah this is an odd result. If you send me your home phone number via a private message I'll look into this and solve this for you. Regards

Highlighted

How did your investigation into my speed problem go?

I'm getting 600KB/s with only 790m from the exchange. Depending on who I talk to at bigpond, I'm either well below what I should be getting for ADSL2+, still on ADSL with an accectable speed. I don't get the same answer from anyone.

Highlighted

Very slow ADSL2+ but only 1km from exchange.

I had posted this in another thread, but it seems like its not getting the responce promised by an employee. So here goes again:

Is there a way to find out if the exchange I am on has ADSL2+ capability. I was told on the phone that although I only moved apartments, (same building) I was unable to be connected to ADSL2+.

Seems abit strange that I had 2+ but now cant. The only cable change is internal to my building. Surely I should still be able to have ADSL2+

I'm getting 600KB/s with only 720ish metwrs  from the exchange (1152M of cable). Depending on who I talk to at bigpond, I'm either well below what I should be getting for ADSL2+, still on ADSL with an accectable speed. I don't get the same answer from anyone.

I have done a speed test today and its down to 365 KB/s using the telstra server.

I am yet to experience speeds at the top end of ADSL let alone ADSL2+. And I am sick to death of hearing the "your lucky, some people cant get ADSL" from Bigpond. They are the lucky ones that are not paying for a service that is CLEARLY not up to standard.

There has to be a fault with my connection somwhere. I've tried 3 different modems. 2 of them Telstra and one third party.

You are 720 m from DRWN as the crow flies.
Estimated cable length of 1152 m.
Estimated speed of 20000

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Hi Toby,

You were dealing with Gareth, who is probably the best person in the entire company to look into your situation. What was his reply?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Hi Ben,

He asked me to PM him my phone number and said he would look into it last monday. I have not heard back from him.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

what kind of upload speed are you getting?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

@Toby wrote:

Hi Ben,

He asked me to PM him my phone number and said he would look into it last monday. I have not heard back from him.

OK Toby, sorry to hear that.

Just to set your expecations, Gareth is an employee rather high up within the DSL broadband side of things (ie: not a Consultant or related to the Call Centres/Social Media Team) which can make him a busy man to get a hold of. I'll send him an email when I get back into work tomorrow to see what I can arrange.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Thanks Ben.

I realise Gareth is a busy man. I'm happy to wait for his response!

All I seem to get when I call the help desk is some level 1 operator who wants me to download a file to tell him the speed.

Highlighted

Tonights Oz Broadband Speed Test using the Bigpond mirror

Test run on 22/01/2012 @ 10:46 PM

Mirror: Telstra Bigpond
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 8.42 secs

Your line speed is 2.91 Mbps (2910 kbps).
Your download speed is 364 KB/s (0.36 MB/s).

Upload Test Results

You uploaded 1 MB bytes in 26.02 seconds.

kbps: 322.69
KB/s: 40.34
Mbps: 0.32

Highlighted

sync stats reported by your modem are?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

My modem is currently reporting:

DownStream Connection Speed7616 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed384 kbps

However when I download the online storage file from http://go.bigpond.com/help/technical_support/?ref=Net-Head-Help-Tech as directed to by the tech support guys I'm getting 650kB/s.

Highlighted

Other figures:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed7616 kbps384 kbps
Line Attenuation14.5 db10.0 db
Noise Margin18.9 db24.0 db
Highlighted

ok well you are connecting at an ADSL1 profile speed (8M/384k) rather than ADSL2 speeds
Highlighted

Yep.

Highlighted

Sorry. That posted before I had finished.

Thanks for your confirmation of my numbers relating to ADSL

Yep. I'm not the most knowledgable on all things binary, but my initial concerns were flagged because I was getting ADSL when I was told I would have ADSL2+.

I have been told a number of different stories from the call center.

1. I'm unable to have ADSL2+ because of the line.

2. I'm on ADSL2 with an average speed.

3. I should be happy that I can get ADSL as some Australians can't at all.

4. That I am infact on ADSL2+ and my speed is poor.

The last one got me bumped to second line tech support. Who then told me there was nothing he could do. And to see point 1. and point 3.

The exchange I am on is ADSL2+ enabled. I have been told I'm on ADSL2+.

Why am I only able to get the slow connection?

Highlighted

there are a few possibilities, your line might not be ADSL2+ capable, they always try that as a first option I believe, if you are indeed on ADSL2 it may have been put back to an ADSL1 profile due to stability issues

if you can't even max out the ADSL1 connection then it's quite likely that an ADSL2 connection wouldn't offer any faster download than you get now, it would generally offer faster upload though
Highlighted

Thanks Jokiin for your reply.

If only someone from bigpond could look at this. It seems that Garath is a very busy man indeed.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Toby, send me your username or phone number and I will take a quick look for you.

I know Gareth is a really helpful bloke but he doesn't always have time to jump on here as it is extra support he offers in his own time!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks mate. PM Sent
Highlighted

Hopefully tomorrow, Two weeks after my initial post, someone from telstra will have time to get back to me.

I understand people get busy, but its bloody frustrating when someone offers to look into your problem and then..... nothing.

Highlighted

Big thanks to Dan for having a look into this. Wheels are turning!

Cheers
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Update:

Dan found a fault in my connection and had it fixed. I was still on ADSL and no ports were available for 2+. I noticed a slightly better connection.

Then...

I lost my phone line and interned last thursday. I flipped a PM to Dan and asked him to look into it. I'm not sure what the problem, but he made a few calls on my behalf and I'm now connected at 21758kbps.

So a massive thanks goes to Dan and James the techie who have sorted my connection for me.

Thanks also to the other Telstra and non-telstra guys who offered advice and help.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@Toby wrote:

Update:

Then...

21758kbps.... I'm still stuck on 8Mbps, you lucky thing!!

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit